Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here...

Uh, I'm new here. I joined the board to try and find out a little more about a car I purchased recently. It's a 1980 Subaru GL wagon with an Ozified lift kit, it's reddish with a mountain scene with a bear on the side...it says Mountain Grizzly. I'm not really into cars, I apologize for my poor taste in cars (craigslist BRAT :) .)...motorcycles are kinda my thing. I bought the car for 500 bucks and have the intention of fixing it up (new fan, brakes, etc.). I was wondering if there are any other people in the Missouri area?

P.S. Who here has knowledge about the Ozified lift kit? My car leans to left...how can I fix this?

I am willing to bet my arse that its McBrats old wagon. I've ever only seen one in pics and it was his, and who else would have a PK lifted Mountain Wagon out in the midwest?

Welcome and take care of that wagon, its actually been around on this board for longer then me IIRC.:banana:

I will post some pics of it soon. It is the Mountain Grizzly. The guy I bought it from acquired it for the engine but thought the Grizz was too nice of a car to destroy it. I saw it on craigslist, test drove it two days later, made an offer, and the rest is history. I was glad to do the search on it here on the boards. I had no idea it had had so much work done to it in the past.

awesome. Glad to see it's in good hands. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask....

I miss it sometimes, and was very tempted to get it back again (4th time) :lol:

please get a picture of the lean... it could be one of the torsion bars in the rear suspension has broken....

and I have gobs and gobs of pictures of it in it's past glory if you want some :)

looks like the left rear torsion bar gave out....

-to verify, jack up the rear (under the diff) and get the wheel off the ground. then grab the left wheel. if you can swing it through the range of motion of the suspension, the bar is toast... MTn Grizzly is still clean enough underneath that there should be any rot to worry about that could've caused this....

you'll have a few options to fix.

1. replace torsion bar. since it's been in the land of rust since 2001, it may be difficult to get it out properly. especially if it's really snapped... I broke one last year, and couldn't get it out....

2. replace with ea82 coilovers with custom mounts....

3. replace entire torsion tube assembly...

easiest would be to find another complete assembly, but probably hard to find these days....

I drove that car years ago and am still grinning about it today after seeing the picture you posted.

The picture looks kindof like its in Micks old driveway even. The houses around it are kindof the same shape, age and style as the ones in Micks neighborhood.

• 2 weeks later...

Awww the griz lives on. I was going to drive down to missura to pick it up but ran into trouble when that happened. Lots of history that car has on here. I think you made just about every old timer on here grin when you said this car is red and has mountain grizzly written on it. Lots of upgrades done to that car and again if your wanting to get rid of it, i dont think youll have to many people turning you down. Me included.:grin: