Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 Forester P0304, Cylinder 4 misfire?

Hey there folks,

I bought a 01 Forester for my wife, it ran fine, with no CEL when I test drove it about 50 miles before I bought it. It had 131k miles on it, it's an L 5spd. A no frills grocery getter. Now, it keeps giving me this code, the car is idling normally at start up, around 68 degrees from the data I pulled from OBD 2. I called my mechanic, and he said to check for corrosion around the plug wires, there isn't any. So, he thinks it may be a tight valve, something that should have been done at 105k. So, this is the next project, right after he finishes my 86 GL Wagon. I'm jonesing to have it back, I love that car, with the dual range 4wd. I live in the hills, and it gets me out where I want to get, winter or summer, when other people can't leave home, lol. Anyone have any other things it could be for me to bounce off my mechanic, let me know. Peace

YUBA49R:

This past summer I think I had the same code among a few others on my 2000 Forester. At one point the CEL was not only on but it was flashing at me. :eek::eek:

It required new spark plug wires, 2 plugs had to be cleaned because they fouled and the ignition coil had to be replaced.

Are you getting any backfiring ?

~Howard

:banana:

Edited by howards11

99 Forester:

I had a similar situation with a P0303 code. Did all the plugs, wires, injectors etc. and was still getting the code.

Got a tip on here about doing the dollar bill test on the exhaust to check for a burnt exhaust valve. Start the car and hold a dollar bill over the tail pipe about 1/4 inch away..It should just flutter but if it alternatly gets sucked into then pushed out of the tail pipe it could be a burnt exhaust valave. That is what my problem turned out to be.

A compression test would also let you know if there is anything else going on in there. Good luck

Thanks for all the replies,

I'm not getting any backfiring issues, no missing at all that I can tell, it does idle a little rough at first start. It smooths out after the warm up. I plan on getting it all checked out, asap. Right now, my 86 GL wagon is getting fixed, I miss it. Peace, for now. I'll keep you posted.