Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bitter Cold

My 87 SW with spfi swap is pretty anemic in the cold. Seems my dry cell battery doesn't like the temps in the negatives... the other day it was -18 when I got up and it just wouldn't start, couldn't crank fast enough... Jumped it and it was off.

Normally, I remote start it in the moring... the night before I put it in neutral, turn the heat to the windshield and flip on my heated seats... it quite the snow beast once it's warm.:grin:

It was 10F here last night and daytime temps have not been above freezing for days. I have a newly installed and tuned weber with manual choke, 10w-30 in the box. I close the choke 90%, pump it twice, and hold at 1500 rpm for about a minute. Then it would idle all day at 800 rpm! Once I'm driving and see the temp gauge rising, then I fully open the choke. There had been a couple of times, getting used to the manual choke, when I'd left it partially closed too long and the temp would go up to H. I didn't know that a choke could cause overheating, but pretty sure now. :confused:

well, let's see.....

fuel pump control circuit decided to quit working, jumper wire used instead

Mine did the same. several times. but this was before the cold. every time I just unplugged the pump connector under the car at the pump. and plugged it back in. Fixed. (for awhile)

It was just real dirty in the plug.

I finally had the chance to clean it out some squish the contacts that go on the outside. squeezed a bunch of Dielectric grease in there. And no problems since.

I have went and bought a heavy duty plug to replace it once things get warmer.

One thing I noticed is the fuel pump used to be "thunk thunk thunk..." (I have no carpet or back seat so I can hear it pumping back there, diaphragm pump) Now with the cold its' "THUNK! THUNK! THUNK!..."

Way louder and sharper sounding.

===

My Soob seems to be fine. Heat works good. Scoobyclimbs gave me his block heater cord for his 84 hatch cause he figured I'd need it more being up where I'm at. But it won't fit my 83 wagon (the plug is slightly different). Bet he wishes he had it now.

Have to get that back to him.

Keeping the Jeep, Kenworth, and F-250 all plugged in though. (all diesel)

We're having lots of cold here. Where we are at we get 40 mph winds all night. End of a valley, up on a ridge, at the other end is Mt. Hood about 15 miles away, the wind comes up and just pounds us.

The furnace has not shut off once in about a week and it's still cold in the house.

A bunch of pipes broke on the pond. (koi) Never had a problem with that in the four years it's been in.

About 30 seconds outside here and the fingers are totally numb. With gloves on.

Snow can be fun but this is just too damn cold. And NOAA says we have at least another week of it here and it's not even gotten as cold as it gonna get yet. :-\

Edited by TeamCF

I didn't know that a choke could cause overheating, but pretty sure now. :confused:

if choke is properly adjusted, about 1/2 out to all in is idle up, and from 1/2 to all out is idle up + choke

manual choke is nice, especially when you understand how it works :rolleyes:

I have used it as a variable enrichment tune on the fly when using E-85

Spiffy, your choke is STUCK ON, possibly the heater element not working, you can wire it open -- should start easily, just pump it a few times, then it should idle about 800rpm, AND STAY RUNNING, -- BTDT

8 deg F (too bloody cold) here

soob started just fine even after not running for a couple of weeks

i have a choke issue and maybe should get the details of the beast's

shotgun modification to hold the throttle down (barrel length etc)

thats maybe the ultimate redneck modification - using tools for more than 1 application

a brick works too

hopefully a weber will fix it when there is suitable fundage

temps have been in the -15 to -20 F range at nite here lately - the Soobs all start and idle fine - 2 Legacys & 1 89 GL - all FI...

we did have one that didnt like to idle at startup in the cold - had to baby that one along for a few minutes, but she has been retired.

The 89 GL has always started great in the cold - never had a problem with that one - guess i got lucky with her - now my daughter is...

My '86 5-spd. 4WD wagon runs fantastic in cold weather. It was "born" in Denver but lived at 1000' higher than Denver. It cut its teeth on CO blizzards and icy roads.

We are just about snowed in here in SW Washington state, daytime temps in the 20s where I live and I took it out yesterday all afternoon, to let it have some fun. Let it warm up for a 10 minutes while I cleared off the windows and lights. The choke's a bit sticky but it's been that way for years, even in the hottest weather. It did super, always runs cool, doesn't leak a drop of anything.

It gets 25 mpg on the interstate, even down south in Portland's stalled traffic, and it's all stock, so I'm thinking it must be pretty happy mechanically.

Brand new Michelin all-weathers on it, not studded, not chains, and they work great too.

Am I bragging about my baby? You bet!