Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I believe I'm in need of a new clutch....

I have not done anything yet to confirm however. After replacing the cable, it will not disengage EVER. I can put the car in gear, start it and drive away. No problems there. I can even shift it once it's moving by matching the RPM to the next gear. NO slipage what so ever. Well, I'm guessing it is the pressure plate has gone bad. No big deal last clutch I did on my Volvo was the same thing. Clutch plate good but pressure plate bad. Anyways, I'm thinking about go at it so I can get my Subaru back on the road. Of course it's only 14 F outside today so not really wanting to. So, if I decide a clutch is what needs to be replaced, where would you all reccomend? Unfortunalty don't have goobs of money and most places around here want 240++ for a kit. I've been looking online and found a few. I know my clutch is the 225mm (8 7/8) 1 inch 24 spline. RIGHT? 1992 Loyale 1.8L 4WD. Any other options out there? how about something from a different subaru? maybe something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-01-SUBARU-IMPREZA-1-8L-2-2L-EJ18-EJ22-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a15Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350132633882QQitemZ350132633882QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The clutch is probly good. Had this happen on my 84 GL many years ago. The throw out bearing got stuck on the output shaft. Took the tranny out, emery sanded the output shaft, new throw out bearing, 3 years later, same thing happened. But this time the throw out bearing ate the output shaft. Ended up replaceing the tranny.

It stopped working before the cable was replaced. Reason I replaced it was because I was thinking it must have been stretched (the old one). So, I put on a new cable, adjusted it according to Subaru...Still nothing. It slightly disengages but not enough even with the cable "over adjusted" so, I'm just thinking maybe the fingures on the pressure plate could be bad, bent, wore off...etc. Had that happen on my Volvo 240. The throwout bearing wore the "fingures" on the pressure plate to the point where it wouldn't dissengage. Just a thought.

• 5 weeks later...

Well got the engine pulled....It's sitting a stand right now as I'm figuring I'm going to go ahead and replace the oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets. Well, the clutch actually still looks okay. That fork snapped!!! :mad::mad::mad: So, I have one on the way from http://www.subarupartsforyou.com Great web site. You could damn near replace your entire Subie at this site....Anyways, Now.....I'm just woundering, should I say heck with it and go ahead and replace the clutch as well. It still looks good! And doesn't slip at all....What do you all think?

I was doing some searching about my 5speed D/R swap, and came across a thread from a long time ago with unbelievable prices on Subaru parts. The website was PartsQuick.com, and everyone was convinced it was a scam, because they were offering things like clutch discs for $9 and several sensors and gaskets for $.02. Some people decided to give it a shot just to see what would happen, and their parts were actually shipped!

Anyway, after all that, I decided to give it a shot since I need a new pressure plate and clutch disk anyway. The prices weren't quite as good as before, but I ended up ordering a clutch, PP, and shaft bearing for $65.

That was last night, and this morning I got tracking information and order confirmation emails from them. So I'm hoping to have scored a great deal on some overstocked company's parts.

If you want, I'll keep you posted on whether I receive the parts or not. Should be here by Thursday or so.

ALSO: I just found the thread again. Here ya go.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85996