Ultimate Subaru Message Board

removing slight surface rust from cylinder walls?

best way to do it.....?

There must be 50 ways. Dunk the block in vinegar, (acetic acid sp?) Swab the bores with acid and or rust remover liquid. What you got on hand?

400 grit ball hone with tons of lube to flush it out. Water will work. If you submerge it in a tank. Air dry, blow dry, immediately spray with WD-40.

Fine steel wool?

Rusty bore eating solution? :)

Doug

I thought my rust was just surface rust, while honing it I found 2 cyls had many small pitts and spots left behind. Yours may actually be "really light" surface rust, but your probably going to have to hone it again. The turtle wax idea sounds cool might be worth a try, but be careful to get all the residues out and keep the grittys out of the block.

Ive not always had the best luck with NOS stuff. It depends on what it is though. And many places have very good storage areas which improve the condition of these items, but for those items left over from 1982 it can be a real crap shoot. Alot can happen to something that sits for 25+ years, all it takes is one roof leak or one bad forklift driver... But anyways my point was, a motor that sits for a few years or more should be gone through anyways.