Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thread to post what the bitter cold has broken or left you stranded

Where do I start? (1990 Loyale RS)

I have gotten high centered several times and rocked out of it.

Tuesday the 16th I slid wide on an iced corner and went into the ditch on the driver side. I had to climb out the passenger window and walk a mile to the nearest farm house in sub zero wind chill. The car came to rest at a 45 completely off the road, I needed a $140 tow truck to winch it out. I ruined my fender and wrinkled the quarter panel.

Wednesday the 17th I got stuck in a drift. Another walk, this time we pulled it free - but the farmer yanked so hard on the tie down hook it tore a hole in the trunk floor storage compartment. I was hardly in a position to complain.

Last night I got stuck twice and threw a chain. A new chain. A nice cable chain, properly tensioned with a new tightener, (it had been on for a week, cable chains do always seem to break eventually) the chain never hit the car, I'm not sure when it flew off or where it went...

speaking of chains, I found someone else's tensioner strap in the pitch black night, the hook embedded nicely in my right rear tire, I was able to patch it after mounting the spare by the side of the road and going home

my car has frozen to the ground - twice. I had to bang the clutch the break it free of the ground, slipping the clutch only burned it

and my favorite

one of my rear wheel cylinders blew it's seal and emptied the brake reservoir onto the driveway

PS

I have driven in Alaska, Canada, Germany and Spain - I have 25 years of winter experience and I have never had as much fun as this year, I was thinking about it, I have never wrecked a car like I did with the ditching - I thought I knew better

reading all of these stories makes me happy I live in the land of SMOG Nazis, earthquakes, riots, fires, mudslides, vans full illegals going down the wrong way on the freeway and trigger happy police officers.

on the flip side, too much heat from the engine in the RX weakened the plastic radiator ends and I sprung a geyser.

BW

06 International... My last truck was a 04 Volvo... and was 1000x the truck this Intertrashinal is.

EDIT: And when I say truck, I mean big truck. 18 wheels, 80,000 lbs, etc...

My dad drove a '99 Volvo trash truck for a while -- and the transmission on that was nothing but trouble.... that's why I guessed that.

Let's see. I took a 481 mile trip from central wisconsin to Alpena Michigan (off of thunder bay) via U.P. MI last tuesday. I already know hildie burns a little oil. So i dumped a quart in when i crossed the border.

When I left my grandmas house on thursday (intended on leaving weds, had to work thurs, but got snowed in) My wipers had frozen along with window was pump. And I had the tick of death. I only had one more quart of oil with me so I checked the oil and dumped that quart in too. thankfully it quit.

About an hour out of Alpena I hit a phesant which BROKE my right wiper. I could literally hear the poor thing hitting each rung of the roof rack. Wipers still werent working but i managed to jimmy the right one. But without washers workin i had to stop everytime i ended up behind someone because of the muddy salt crap that got sprayed on the windshield. :horse::mad:

plus side is i was only an hour and a half late for work!:lol:

Hit a Pheasant? Heck that's dinner right there.

.i was looking at those heaters scott,home depot?how well does it work. cheers, brian

:banana::banana:

I Didnt do much shopping around looked at Laows they had one 155 btu for $370 a orangeish one, looked at a local Hardware store and got the one ine the picture its 115 BTUs cost $330 its a multi fuel burns kerosine, diesel and Jet fuel , buurns .89 gal per hour used it a couple days now burnt up 5 gals kerosine and 1 gal diesel, I think Im going to burn #2 diesel as it smells better and cost less , I wouldnt have worked out there without it , got a tranny swapped in my white offroader ardvark soobie

My Nephew went in the ditch the other day

my AAA Plus got him out , the farmers tractor just spun on the road, the tow truck that came used 2 winches front and rear, there truck kept slidding, at one point the driver said " looks like we will need a bigger truck" then it finally came out , I got the AAA Plus back in July when my engine gave in tacoma

picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=517

Well here in seattle the way these lovely snow plows with rubber packing blades took care of the roads, we were left with 6" tall cowpatty sized chunks everywhere and it tore apart my already weak steering rack. Since the idea of real snow in seattle is like kittens landing on the moon, everyone skipped work and I don't get my rack till next monday, after I was told it would be finished by wednesday the 24th. Can't blame um'..... but it sucks.

I'm just glad no one has been hurt.

Well its been in the teens and below occasionally. My headlights decided to not work. Ended up being a bad ground. Water pump froze cause I didnt do a flush like an idiot,and there was to much water in the system. My windshield wipers suck and only one of my wiper fluid squirters works.

Oh ya dead batteries too.

but I have four new siped snow tires=not getting stuck

Bitter Cold has caused a Hit and Run, and a broken CV Joint on my Subaru.

Also broke my brothers P71 Crown Vic's oil pump, causing it to seize up.

Also!!!! My moms Ford Ranger's transfer case and front hubs don't work now, due to her getting stuck in the snow.

Crapload of car issues the past week.

Posted from my thread in new gen:

So its 5 degrees here this morning and I go out to start my RS and the thing barely will turn over, it starts finally but not like it wants to. Is this the sign of a weak/cheap battery?

What do you guys do about our doors getting froze to where they won't open? I had to go in passenger side and tore the bottom weather stripping off in the process and had to pop it back in.

Not sure on battery, one cold weather trick is to hold your clutch in and crank/warm up the engine for a bit before you try to move the gear oil around. 5 is just cold, if the car had been sitting for a day or two any battery might sound wimpy, but I'd have to have been there to hear it

door seals - not much you can do, I clear all the ice and snow from the door threshold, other than that, just make sure the seals aren't wet when you park at night, I know some guys that use a dry towel and wipe the seals down when they put the car to bed

*edit*

I had an afterthought. I made a cheap interior heater and I also use it for an oil pan warmer. Get a $2 ceramic light fixture, wire an extension cord to it, screw it to a piece of wood.

A piece of plywood a foot square is fine. You can put it in the car with a 60-100 watt regular light bulb and it will keep the interior from going sub zero and the plastic getting brittle - maybe it will keep some doors from freezing shut eh?

I have also used the same set up to slide under my oil pan when it was expected to go well below zero. It doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference - and it's cheap.

Yes, snow melt cracks the light bulbs. No you may not sue me for burning your car/garage/house down.

Edited by Txakura
afterthought

The only problem I had was the other day when it was 0 degrees out...my tire pressure monitoring system on my 08 Imp acted up ( which I hear is normal) but now I have a grinding noise in my back pass side wheel...

And my coupe is nice and snuggly in the garage..havent started it in awhile but Monday we are pulling the motor again so really no need to.

It sucks for those who had the accidents.

I have been reading about the snow and stuff you west coasters are getting..To me it all sounds normal for around here..but it can be horrible if you arent used to it

And I can also say Salamander ( turbo ) heaters FTW!!!!