Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Parts,Parts,Parts

lil' Hero is an 85 GL hatchback Hitachi EA81 4-speed D/R

I'm concerned about the future availability of parts

when funds are available i will be replacing waterpump, thermo, block heater, suspension, brakes, ect.

i know i can use subaruparts.com and rockauto.com, any others that specialize in OEM subaru parts???

and most importantly is there any parts i should stock up on that wont be available in say 5 years???

like rack&pinion i saw on sale

is it true that subaru doesn't have to manufacture parts after 15 years

long story short: i had some trouble finding a muffler in my area and needed it

one more thing: when buying parts online i want to make sure i don't end up with something for an 85 EA82

should i search parts for an 84 rather than an 85 due to the engine changes

i'm more concerned about non engine parts

Yes! Stick to searching for an '84, many members of this board have had similar problems where they get parts for the EA82 3-door hatch.

Ive got the exact same car and sometimes its almost impossible to find parts, especially in Canada, ive shoved whatever fits from other subaru parts on my car and just try to keep it running as best as i can, its got only original 82,000miles and im looking to get it repainted Cannonball black next year, haha.

I allways go to the shop to match parts! Calipers in hand. I have gotten everything for an ea82 first. Wheel bearings, wrong ones, water pump, yup, axles, wrong, cap and rotor wrong. Be prepared to send them back. Advance, Napa, schmucks, carqwest, whatever. Right box, wrong part. It dissuades me from using the internet for parts unless its obvious, like a motor from ccr. I would order that.

Junkyards are your friends.

And to answer your question - yes, in 5 years time we expect parts to be more difficult to find than now. The 70's Subaru's are already seeing this as Subaru of America is out of virtually everything for that vintage.

It is doubtful that anyone will pick up the manufacture of these parts in the future. There will likely be a small aftermarket in Brat specific parts as Brat's are collectible. Other than that there will be nothing.

The saving grace for the 80's Subaru's is that you can retain the body and with minor (or somtimes major) fabrication you can use legacy components. I fully expect at some point I will have to forgo the EA series engines and go with the EJ22's for powering my EA series bodies.

Basically, everything will have to be custom. Which some of us are prepared to do. But if you don't have the skills or the time it really isn't viable to drive them past 30 years.

Your muffler example is an excelent one - there was no need to buy a direct replacement. Dozens of aftermarket mufflers will fit easily. All it takes is a little welding - exhaust shops will do it for a reasonable fee. Is it cheaper than a direct-fit? No - but that's the cost of owning a collectible vehicle and it's exactly this collectibility that will drive what little aftermarket we will have in the future as collectors with the capitol and the desire will have the jigs and molds created for these parts. The fact that they are becoming desireable and somewhat expensive will be the force that brings parts back into limited production. So for some parts it will simply be a waiting game.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

i wouldn't worry too much about it personally. your best resource is to familiarize yourself with usmb!

are you wanting this as a collectible or intending to keep it for a long time? if so, then that makes sense. i've stocked up on tons of XT6 stuff, some hard to get most i just like having on hand and ready to go.

if it's just transportation then an EJ vehicle could be in your future. they can be had for really really cheap now.

I worry about it sometimes as well.

The U-Pull It near me, 9 times out of 10.... has no EA81's in thier lot anymore.

Last year there were tons. When they do now it's almost always FWD. :-\ (And I almost always need something 4WD specific)

But it seems I always find something that will fit somewhere.

So I don't lose any sleep over it. I have a spare engine, but the 315,000 miler in it will proly outlive the body at this point. :rolleyes:

I know a guy that just buys whole cars off of CL. Then parts them out and keeps what he wants. Says in most cases it chaeper that way as he can sell enough off of it to pay for the purchase of the car. So his parts only cost him some time.

What we have going for us that has been mentioned is the interchangability of them (with tweaking). We'll all be sportin' WRX drivetrain in our old GL wagons at some point. :grin:

lil' Hero is an 85 GL hatchback Hitachi EA81 4-speed D/R

I'm concerned about the future availability of parts

I am running EA82 4WD wagons. So I probably have a little more time before things get bad. But I have most of the parts from the last 3 cars I have had to retire. Start thinking about rebuilding things like water pumps, alternators, steering racks. Buy a wreck or other dead car similar to yours for parts.

About 10 years ago, a guy walked up to me in a parking lot as I was getting into my car. His dad was closing his auto shop, and had 4-5 EA82s out back. He told me I could have anything I wanted, up to & including the whole cars. I tried to arrange for a friend with a trailer to get one of them whole, but that fell through at the last minute, so I spent 2 days removing CVJs, heads, lights and all kinds of small parts.

thanks for the replies

come spring i will be visiting my local junk yard

its a huge place where employees drive you out in this old legacy:)

mad max looking fellas

what kind of parts should i have on hand, distributor, thermo, starter

i found a 1989 justy with the 4WD Continuosly variable tranny, is this worth any thing???

thanks for the replies

come spring i will be visiting my local junk yard

its a huge place where employees drive you out in this old legacy:)

mad max looking fellas

what kind of parts should i have on hand, distributor, thermo, starter

i found a 1989 Justy with the 4WD Continously variable tranny, is this worth any thing???

any decent body parts, lights, trim, I save all the metric bolts as well...but that's just me, ummm, maybe some interior pieces, I would personally try to save good suspension pieces as well and maybe some whole crossmembers, axles, but again that's just me:)

i found a 1989 justy with the 4WD Continuosly variable tranny, is this worth any thing???

Depends on whether the tranny is still working.... mine's a 5 speed, which has a lot better reputation, but apparently the CVT has a good reputation overseas where distances are alot shorter and there's not as much highway driving or such.

i'm planning on buying drums, wheel cylinders, and shoes

when i search for an 84 i can get everything except the wheel cylinders from subaruparts.com , they have everything for an 85

rockauto.com has everything but its not OEM, ACDelco, Beck/Arnley, and Raybestos are parts from them any good

is there anything else i should replace while i'm in there

like wheel bearings, ect.

Edited by blindrummer