Ultimate Subaru Message Board

went to look at a 97 outback a/t 2.5 , new radiator, new tires, new timing belt, water pump, hg , heads were resurfaced ,the guy said it has a rod knock , i heard it run and yes there is a noise , and not piston slap , i am thinking the valves need adjusting ,am i right or wrong,? 135,000mi on motor.would it hurt anything to drive it away, or drop a 2.2 in it,

Edited by 86subaru

1,300 bucks, but i think i can talk him down

from a buyers point of view, he says rod knock, you say, needs engine. he says 1300$, you say 300$.

if you have to swap in an engine you want it cheap. i'd plan on an engine swap, you may get lucky tho.

depending where you are, 2.2s are cheap. ask gary, he's in WV.

Edited by johnceggleston

well the hg was done with heads resurfaced and it does start up and run , noise goes away some what after it warms up , after all the work was done they drove it , and starting making the noise, it's at a local shop ,they did not do the work , the owner has alot of work and no time to work on it, and has been sitting for about a year,

Edited by 86subaru

i bought one with 'engine noise' it turned out to be piston slap. of course in the beginning i didn't reallly know what that was. but since it was running, and i already had the engine waiting to go in, i decided to see how long i could drive it. that was 30k ago.

if you can get it for the right price, drive it around town and work at diagnosing the noise. if it dies... well you pay for a tow and then swap. i wouldn't put a lot of money into an egine that may have been cooked.

if it doesn't die........woohoo. :banana:

i wouldn't rule out piston slap either. sounds like it might have a bad case of it. but piston slap won't cause any problems.

now - if it really wasn't making the noise before the head gasket work, that scares me a bit. makes me think it was driven too long overheating. but, it could just be valves or piston slapped that they forgot about (i mean it has been a year).

there are other possibilities, you might be able to narrow them down if you listen closely.

You said it goes away with increased temperature which in my experiance is the oposite of what I expect for rod knock. When the engine is cold and the oil is thicker you don't usually hear anything. Then once the engine heats up and the oil thins out you start to hear the noise. This is only my experiance with two motors. So I would not rule out piston slap entirely.

However, the odds of Rod Knock are unfortunately in favor on a motor that had a blown head gasket. If they drove it for a long enough period before noticing the overheating and head gasket issue it causes this problem. Antifreeze mixing with the engine oil eats away protective coatings on bearings and they start wearing heavily.

eek, sounding worse by the minute/post. EJ swap it is always an option.

timing tensioner or oil pump are two other options. can't say i've ever heard those but can the oil pump make noise if the backing plate screws come out too far?

If you can, pull the timing covers and look at the timing belt in the area of the tensioner. 97 might have the newer style tensioner that is much more sensative when being compressed to quickly and can cause it damage. You won't know it's damaged until you install it and start the car because it still has some pressure to it. Once you start the car you will see the timing belt and tensioner flapping around, and hear a noise, if it was damaged. My friend did it on his 2000 RS and we thought something was bad in the engine.

Keith

another 2.5 bites the dust, after a headgasket blows, typical, they replace the radiator first, then determine its more serious, so after cooking it a few more times, it must be the headgasket. So typical, put new HG and while in there, new water pump, new t-belt, etc. then it all goes bak together.....but it is knocking, so advertise it. I still would stay away from recent HG jobs on the 2.5's, asa dependable long term car.

But I would buy it for cheaps, and ej22 swap it..toss out that 2.5 garbage. Subaru needs to bring back the castings for the 2.2 block and ASAP

pretty much hear this everyday on the 2.5's

another 2.5 bites the dust, after a headgasket blows, typical, they replace the radiator first, then determine its more serious, so after cooking it a few more times, it must be the headgasket. So typical, put new HG and while in there, new water pump, new t-belt, etc. then it all goes bak together.....but it is knocking, so advertise it. I still would stay away from recent HG jobs on the 2.5's, asa dependable long term car.

But I would buy it for cheaps, and ej22 swap it..toss out that 2.5 garbage. Subaru needs to bring back the castings for the 2.2 block and ASAP

pretty much hear this everyday on the 2.5's

What he said.

nipper

after all the work was done ,and ran fine , they drove it like 200 miles and started making the noise , they stopped and had it towed to the shop , and has been there almost 1 year, and the shop says rod knock , and has done nothing to it, the shop bought it , and all the other work they have to do , they will sell it to me,

I just did a HG job on an engine that was using coolant, the engine was quite before I did the job. Now I have a very noisy lifter. Lots of people told me that Subaru engine's are very loud after a HG job. What does the noise sound like?

What Year engine?

The Phase 1's have a complicated valve lash adjustment procedure. I'd think most peeps would opt not to even attempt it.