Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Single Point Fuel Injection on a ea81

thermalsurfing1

Do a search. There are write ups on this. Basically it's easy to bolt on the intake etc. but then of course it gets a little more complicated with the wiring. You have to wire in the computer for the SPFI, which means you have to basically build a harness that combines the EA81 and EA82! Search for it and you should find plenty of info! I love mine!!

Virtually no gain in power without mechanical modifications. Cam, ported heads, larger valves, etc. It can, however, support those mods without fuel system modification as the SPFI EA82 is 90 HP.... EA81's are 73 HP. So you can support up to 16 HP in mods without fuel system upgrades. The fuel system alone does nothing but provide what the engine demands.

Driveability is increased, cold starting, reliability, etc. The engine doesn't change though so you won't see anything on the dyno. You will notice slightly better response and maybe a bit more low-end torque but not as much as with a Weber swap as the SPFI has a smaller TB openeing compared to a Weber.

GD

thanks, i have new large valve heads that are on the way to delta cams for the works....... and a cam to match. its all going on a brand new ea81 short block, i hope to gain some hp just the head work is about 900.00, short block 1000.00 with hydro lifters . :banana::banana::banana::banana:

You're insane. For less than half you could have had an EJ22E with 135 HP and MPFI - including the adaptor plate and harness to install it in the EA81 chassis.

Throwing money at the problem is not impressive. At least not to me. EA81's are simple to rebuild and economical to run but apparently not for you. I doubt you'll see impressive power gains from what you describe. Perhaps on the order of 10 HP or so. The stock heads just can't flow enough regardless of the valve size - the JDM dual-carb heads had reversed valves like the EA82's.

GD

• 2 weeks later...

down boy. its not your car, so dont worry about what he is putting in it. we appreciate your opinion, but you dont have to force it on to everyone that doesnt have an ej swap.

You'll learn eventually - they all do. EA81's are great engines, but the parts will soon be unavailible and spending more than the car is worth to get a handful of HP when readily availible engines in the EJ class are inexpensive and have tons of support... not to mention double the power.... is wasteful.

GD

• 3 weeks later...
i've had em all and im back to my ea81 again. they work reel good. the parts will be around forever.

Unfortunately not. We've already seen the demise of the EA71 due to the unavailibility of head gaskets. The EA81 oil pumps are almost impossible to get now. Most other parts aren't far behind. Even the aircraft guys have largely moved to the EJ engines.

GD

ok GD i guess you always did know better. i can still get parts for my 1930 model A so i think my 80s subaru will be ok for a while.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-1600-DL-GL-GF-FE-Brat-Head-Gasket-Set-09-11303_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ310099128571QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

your right it took me almost 30 seconds to find these! gettin tough!

• 3 weeks later...

There is an alot of ea's being used in ultralight and experimental planes thoose guys love em so I'm guessing it's going to be a long time before we can't find parts for them. And yes worth it and yes I have one and it's a goodun'

It's a Subaru Love thing