Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Don't trust the internet!

My friend spent the weekend troubleshooting why his GL-10 wouldn't start up after replacing the timing belts, distributor cap, rotor, wires, etc. Since he didn't have a Haynes manual he looked for the firing order on-line. Needless to say, he spent hours messing the the timing after setting the firing order as shown on this site (1-3-4-2):

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-subaru-firing-86.htm

Once I brought him the Hanynes manual today and was talking about the firing order I knew instantly that's all he had wrong. He is a very mechanically inclined person and knows what he is doing, so I didn't question something as simple as the firing order when he had already checked that. The correct firing order as we all know is 1-3-2-4.

Lesson learned, don't always blindly trust the internet! :)

Um, it's not just the internet. ALLDATA has it wrong too. I just had the same problem after putting my engine back in. Yup, would only kind of run, than back fire and well, nothing...So, yeah, don't trust everything you see. Always check for yourself!

My friend spent the weekend troubleshooting why his GL-10 wouldn't start up after replacing the timing belts, distributor cap, rotor, wires, etc.

Lesson learned, don't always blindly trust the internet! :)

Ever heard of marking the plug wires before taking them off? Just an idea to throw out there. They make small numbered stickers that will stick to damn near anything or any toolbox should have a paint marker it it.

Yeah its disgusting to see a reference source with the wrong information. But thats why everyones dads always told them "Mark everything before you take it apart" :grin:

Ever heard of marking the plug wires before taking them off? Just an idea to throw out there. They make small numbered stickers that will stick to damn near anything or any toolbox should have a paint marker it it.

Yeah its disgusting to see a reference source with the wrong information. But thats why everyones dads always told them "Mark everything before you take it apart" :grin:

I come from the school of thought: tear everything apart, stick it all in one big box, small parts in a bag so they don't fall out of the cracks in the box, clean everything really well, and reassemble the 1,000 piece puzzle you just created :banana:

I find it easier to memorize the firing order :grin:

if you need help with keeping track, http://www.idealindustries.com/products/wire_management/wire_markers/

I was helping someone change a clutch and they had the firing order writen under the bonnet and had each spark plug marked too. Problem was, it was 1-2-3-4 and the spark plugs were marked 1 front right, 2 rear right, 3 front left, 4 rear left. So they had it right sort of....

That is the best advice for sure. I did that when I did my timing belt/clutch/water and oil pump job and pulled the engine. It all started right up when I got it all back together because I wrote down each step as I took something off. It definitely slows you down but makes up for it in the end.

I scratched the cylinder number each plug is connected to next to each plug on top of the distributor cap. The engine block has the cylinder numbers on it already, so worst case I forget which cylinder is which and have to clean the block a bit before playing connect the dots.