Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brat won't run at WOT.

I just picked up this.

101_0186.jpg

Obviously it's beat pretty bad. I'm just using it for some local tough truck races. My problem is I can't get the engine to open up. I get good throttle response at 1/4 throttle, but after that it sputters and dies.

I have been reading about these engines, and I heard that the weber upgrade is a good one so I was thinking of switching. I popped the hood and looked closer at the carb, and this is what I found (I know the engine bay is filthy).

101_0191.jpg

101_0194.jpg

It's stamped weber, but it has the stock Subaru filter and airbox.

Is this the right weber carb, and if it is how do I liven it up. I have searched for a few weeks, but I don't know carbs very well.

I'm sure this has been covered before here so I'm sorry. My searching never really gave a good link on how to tune this carb (if it's even the one I think it is)

Another problem I had was water and oil getting into the airbox. I took off the hoses that ran into the airbox and found that the one leading into the pass side of the header(?) was the one kicking the milky oil into the airbox.

edit...

I am also trying to lighten it up but can't get the rear window out without breaking it. Is there a trick to get it out? I want to sell anything good on it to recoup the cost of the brat.

Thanks for any help.

BTW the brat did great at the races. Even with the engine problems it still placed first in the 4x4 light and 3rd overall!

Edited by bogof

That doesnt look anything like the Weber thats on my coupe...almost looks more like the POS Carter Weber that used to be on it...which I sent sailing through the yard.

Does sound like it has a clogged jet and from the looks of the motor ..I wouldnt doubt it.

This was my carter weber..minus choke cause some shmuck cut it off when it stopped working:

aa019.jpg

and this is the Weber that we all talk about ..Note its a 2 barrel carb

LBmotor001.jpg

I am not the most up on the carbs but it looks like you have the dreaded Carter Weber ...and IMO ..they are aweful..no power and bad milerage..

OK so I got a lead on a new 32/36 weber.

Anyone know how to remove the rear glass without breaking it?

Also is there any part that is usually wanted by people trying to keep these clean looking? I have several parts I have taken off that I am looking to sell(on here).

• 2 weeks later...

Others have identified the carb as the single barrel Carter-Weber. You might be able to get it to run better by replacing the fuel filter (next to the fuel pump on the driver's side near the rear wheel; on a metal plate bolted to the underside of the car) and the fuel/water separater (looks like a fuel filter, but has three ports instead of two). It might run better for you then, but it will be necessary if you go for the two barrel weber carb.

Odd, I don't see the fuel/water separater in your pics, but it's right by the windshield wiper motor in Bucky92's pic.

Edited by edrach

Odd, I don't see the fuel/water separater in your pics, but it's right by the windshield wiper motor in Bucky92's pic.

If it's there, it'll be just out of view because of where the top of the picture cuts off though.

I think the tube my awesomely curvy arrow (drawn with a not so awesome ball mouse) points to comes from it.

waterseperate-1.jpg9]

I stole your picture, I'm sorry. My engine bay does look about the same though, but with more oil.:rolleyes:

You might be able to get it to run better by replacing the fuel filter (next to the fuel pump on the driver's side near the rear wheel; on a metal plate bolted to the underside of the car) and the fuel/water separater (looks like a fuel filter, but has three ports instead of two).

Based on the passing lamp/headlight configuration...the fuel pump may be in the engine compartment near where the vapor separator is on later models, but the fuel filter is under the car in front of the rear driver's side wheel.

No vapor separator, just the single filter.

That is how my '81 hatch is, let me know if you want pics.

No vapor separator, just the single filter.

That is how my '81 hatch is, let me know if you want pics.

'81 Hatch is different. This is an '82 Brat and vapor separator is in engine compartment and fuel filter is under the car on the driver's side near the rear wheel. Here's pic of our '82 Brat.

picture.php?albumid=87&pictureid=729

As for your question on what manifold to use;

EA-81 Hatachi carb one is a direct swap.

An EA-82 Hatachi carb intake can be swapped on with a bit of work.

I'm running one of those on my '86 BRAT

I think Jerry (bratsarus1) has one of the EA82 types. Maybe it's for sale.

• 4 weeks later...