Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 decisions decisions

well, I have a lifter that acts up from time to time... it'll go weeks or months without making a peep, then rattle away for a day or three and go silent again

until now, now it seems to be permanent

and the timing belts should be changed

and the water pump is dripping a few drips now and then

and the shifter bushings are shot

and the wheel bearings are making noise...

and the oil pump needs to be re-sealed

sooooooo I'm parkin' it and switching to the Jeep

so what's the decision? I plan on pulling the engine at my leisure, the debate is whether to spend a single dime on it or start down the long road to a swap and all the fun that bring$ :eek:

Yes, you can Swap an EJ engine there, I Believe that in the Future when my EA82 needs Major Works, I`ll Take that Way too...

But Let me Tell you that to Repair the EA82 is not too Hard to Do, and Also if your EA82 keeps Workin` fine, it will Last Long Long time.

For the Tickin` Noise: Change the Oil Pump... it is Easier if you want to Change the Timin` Belts, but Don`t Forget to Change the Timin` Belts Tensioneers` Ball Bearings at the same time.

The Drops comin` from the Water Pump can be an easy fix, like a Loosen inlet Pipe if the car Doesn`t Overheat, maybe it just need Retighten... also Check for Worn Hoses & Clamps.

it seems to be a one Full Weekend Plenty of Fun! ;)

To Change the Wheels` Ball Bearings isn`t too Hard to do too... maybe for Another Weekend of Fun in your Subie!

Good Luck!

keep driving it while you source and put together the EJ22 swap stuff.

while annoying, the ticking won't hurt the car. the leaking water pump, that sounds more ominous.

everything you mentioned can basically be ignored or worked around though annoying. replace the water pump and drive it another 6 months, year, summer, while you get the swap ready.

keep driving it while you source and put together the EJ22 swap stuff.

while annoying, the ticking won't hurt the car. the leaking water pump, that sounds more ominous.

everything you mentioned can basically be ignored or worked around though annoying. replace the water pump and drive it another 6 months, year, summer, while you get the swap ready.

roger that, a ticking I can handle, this is getting more serious sounding than ever before, the water pump is really not so bad - (yet) it's a few drops of green dew on the pulley bottom - no temp rise, no noise, no appreciable loss from the overflow - just something i'm aware of and watch closely

however, I spend four hours a day in the car and the combo of the ticking, howling (original) 215K wheel bearings, lower than normal oil pressure (since the -3 F over pressure incident) and the combination of all of the above, and every other rattle and squeak has driven me to park it and give it a rest, or me a rest, or both a rest :rolleyes:

the Jeep can take up the slack, and I can take my time to go through it with the daily driving pressure off and continue to debate the merits of getting hardcore serious about this new U-r-a-bus obsession

What, you don't enjoy the feel of your urabuS?

After two loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong months of driving

my parents rigs, I was soooooooooooooo appreciative to have my brat

underneath me again.

I hope you feel the same way.

Oh and what obsession?

Just because the universe revolves around Subaru doesn't mean I'm obsessed.

It just means that those in my life are jealous of my car. :lol:

And the fact I'm extremely hostile towards other wannabe subes, doesn't mean

I'm crazy, the fact that I see thing that aren't there makes me crazy.

Twitch. :-p

PS: MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA...

YOU WILL JOIN US!!!!!

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!!

----------------

Now playing: Riot

via FoxyTunes