Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a couple new additions to my fleet

Well not too long ago I went to Idaho and picked up this wagon and Brat. I cant say I am really happy with the wagon, it turned out to be in not as good a shape mechanically as I had hoped, but it has a nice interior and a good body. The Brat is beat to hell and with 2 stripped front hubs, but It made the drive from Pullman to Toppenish with minimal issues, just had to fix a stuck secondary on the way home. The plan was to drive the wagon and trailer the Brat because of the hubs, but there was no way that was happening with the way the wagon was (not)performing. Incredibly, the Brat tranny (stock 4 spd D/R) although sloppy as all get out still shifts into every gear with NO GRINDING!!!!! Overall I am satisfied with my purchase, not sure what Im gonna do with the wagon yet, but the Brat is gonna get lifted 6" after I get a couple other rigs done and be mainly an off roader. Pics!

02-13-09_0753.jpg

02-17-09_1312.jpg

02-17-09_1311.jpg

02-13-09_0755.jpg

02-13-09_0757.jpg

-Bill

Thanks guys!

Yeah, the shifter is rather sloppy, but it doesnt grind!!!! Im gonna fix the slop and drive it with the 4 speed for now.

The front 2 wheels are EA81 wagon spokes with 185/80 tires, the pass. side rear is a Les Schwab special with same tire as the front, but the drivers side rear is a stock steelie with a 175/70 tire on it :-\ so before I replace the front hubs I will make sure i have a full set of tires of the same size :banana:

The projector lights I gave to my buddy, I know 1 of them worked, dunno about the other one though.

The Brat is gonna get lifted in the future, 6 inches fo sho, gonna leave it the color it is though cuz I love it, but I might put orange Halo decals and pinstriped on it to set it apart from the crowd :grin:

The wagon, well its just gonna sit for now.... Needs a new motor (or at least a head gasket) and possibly a new tranny (the D/R in it has more slop than the 4 speed in the brat :eek: and it makes a loud whining/grinding sound) but its too complete and the body is too nice to part it out.

Oh, that pair brings my count to 14 I believe, Ill have to count them again :lol:

-Bill

Well I ran out of money and gas in the RX, and the Brat still had a half a tank from the trip home... SO I replaced the entire front suspension with parts off another car, then addressed other little issues, like no high beams, broken latch on the Passenger T top, wrong size tires, etc., slapped on my Other set of Calmasters (:grin:) and im driving it! Its really, really ghetto rigged right now, but I just needed it to work, all the mechanicals were done the right way though so it is safe to drive. Pics to come, its raining here right now...

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some pics. The first ones are with my new tires (185/80 R-13 de-studded snows) on one of my sets of calmasters, with 2wd front struts (cuz thats all I had layin around)

03-04-09_1643.jpg

03-04-09_1642.jpg

03-04-09_1640.jpg

Heres a pic after I put 2" lift blocks on the front struts

03-05-09_0933-1.jpg

After i took that last pic I trimmed off the lower sheetmetal from under the bumper up to the radiator support as well. Will get pics of that eventually :banana:

-Bill

Edited by The Beast I Drive
added a pic

I just might let that white grill go if'n the price is right :grin:

Got some more pics of the Brat today.

On Saturday I installed a set of jumpseats I had layin around. No seatbelts yet, but they will be sourced soon

03-07-09_1351.jpg

Then, yesterday I got a wild hair and decided to make 3" stainless steel stacks for the bed. These will be functional after I route a new exhuast, for now they just look cool. I still need to polish them though, havent had time to do that yet

03-10-09_1810.jpg

03-10-09_1807.jpg

03-08-09_1715.jpg

03-10-09_1802.jpg

Next I need to make the new bumpers and roll bar and skid plate, fab a new exhaust and swap on a Weber, then lift it :headbang: Oh, and replace that damn windshield :-\

-Bill

• 3 months later...

I decided to part out the blue wagon, its donating parts to my other blue wagon, the lifted one.

Ive made a few changes to the Brat, I got the exhaust hooked up a month or so ago, and it does roll black smoke when I get on it and in the morning when before it warms up :grin:

I took out the seats though, they just arent comfortable when the stacks are right where your arm should be :-\ and I could use the bed space more.

I also took out the 2" lift blocks I made, I believe those helped destroy my first axles, and I decided I didnt want my EMPI axles to see the same fate. I also now have a slanted radio consol waiting to go in it, just needs paint and some speakers, and Im getting the parts gathered to swap in a 5 speed and lift it 6" hopefully before the Evans Creek meet. The shifter is still tighter than new :banana: and it shifts beautifully. I did have some electrical issues, but a new starter, ignition switch, ground cable, starter cable, and a distributor fixed that :lol:

-Bill