Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternate EA82 SPFI fuel pumps

I've been researching fuel pumps for EA82 SPFI, they are the expensive ones. The cheapest I can find here in my part of the world is 250 bones.

So my questions are

1. Is there a fuel strainer/filter device on the pump? If so is this something standard on all pumps or something I would have to add to a universal pump.

2. I have seen the posts about the ford pump but is seems to be a low pressure pump, the other universal pumps I have seen put out about 100psi. I believe the OEM pump is in the 30-50 range. Can the stock fuel regulator on this engine handle 100 PSI? or will the car need to another fuel regulator ?

Just about any fuel injection pump that mounts outside the tank will work. It has to make 21 psi - the stock SPFI pump makes 50 psi dead-head. I beleive a lot of folks have had luck with Ford F150 pumps from years that mount to the frame rail and they are reasonably priced if you want a new one. Do a search and you'll find posts detailing these.

GD

i'll second the F150 pump, its from a truck that had two pumps, one low pressure in the tank and a high pressure further up. i've had it work on ea82mpfi, ea82 spfi, er27, and ej s. napa will sell about 10 different ones with the same specs, some are 250, theres one thats still 45 bucks, i cant find the number, but make that parts guy work!

dig that crazy search function

napa part number 2p74028

i've been running one of these since 2004 with no problems.

I've looked up that pump and the NAPA website http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(ww23rf45sp5zsn55w4m3is55))/Detail.aspx?R=TFP2P74028_0164936949says its a low pressure pump. I guess I'll just go into the store and talk the the guys. I found another pump which might end up working just fine and the specs are close to the original pump http://www.amazon.com/MSD-Ignition-2225-Pressure-Electric/dp/B00029JK5U%3FSubscriptionId%3D1SMHVJB6RMHMQJTXCX02%26tag%3Dstreetperformance-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00029JK5U

I'll let you know what I end up doing and how it works out.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I ended up doing. I put the ford fuel pump on, i purchased it new on ebay for $55. The only issue I had was that the hose coming out of the gas tank was 3/8 and the inlet on the pump was 5/16. I just put two hose clamps on it and it not leaking. So far the pump is working well and I have not had to change the fuel pressure regulator (yet).

Go down to the hardware store and buy some brass fittings/adaptors you will prolly need a 5/16 to 1/2 male and 3/8 to 1/2 female, or something like that. You can play with the combos while you are there. Get a short piece of 5/16 hose and a couple hose clamps. You will be leak and worry free. Did the ford pump have an internal screen in it?