Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Time for new shocks/struts?

I have a 2001 Legacy GT. I originally came with the "sport suspension", and now has 130,000 miles on it. Lately, I have noticed that the ride has been bumpier than normal. Is it time for new shocks/struts? If so, can anyone make any recommendations for what I should get that would be similar to the original suspension? Thanks!

If your sure you need new struts...Personally I go with Monroe's from NAPA...they work great for me...However I have heard some good things about the KYB-GR2's...Of course you could always go OEM..the extremely expensive route...

Look at your existing struts/shocks to see if their are any fluid leaks. If so, that is a dead give away that you need to replace. Also, do the "rebound test" by pushing down on all four corners of the car to get the struts to rebound. Do they dampen the motion, or continue to rebound?

I have had several Subies that have approached 200k miles, and the struts were still good, so the OEMs last a long time.

The KYB GR2 shocks are a great value for the money. I have used on several cars, and have been pleased. They last a long time, and are a bit firm, yet ride very nice. They have my vote.

strut life spans the spectrum. it depends a lot on prior driving and useage. if someone is hitting the twisties or lives on poor roads, that's thousands of impacts and loadings on the strut that a strictly highway commuter won't see. that's a big difference.

you got the short end of the stick but it's not weird to need new struts over 100,000 miles. i have my spreadsheet open right now - my Impreza struts needed replaced at 120,000 miles. but those are the only ones i've ever had to replace, plenty of others had their original struts far longer.

If your sure you need new struts...Personally I go with Monroe's from NAPA...they work great for me...However I have heard some good things about the KYB-GR2's...Of course you could always go OEM..the extremely expensive route...

I just installed 4 monroe struts on my 96 obs. It took me 1.5 hours per strut. They're not cheap though. $90 each for the rears and $80 each for the fronts.

Looking on ebay... the KYBs are slightly cheaper even with shipping costs.

I don't know if they're better. :confused: I'm really happy with the monroes ...with a lifetime warranty too.

I came to the conclusion that even if you pay that little bit more it is well worth it to go nitrogen.

I personally would have a long hard look at koni"s given they are also Japanese.

Sounds like the KYB's are the house favorite.

I believe that as long as they are nitrogen damped or better then your fine.

Do they have after market magnetic shocks yet ?

Edited by subaruplatt

• 3 weeks later...

I'm shopping for some struts for my 95 Impreza LX. I have oem's on with 250+k miles on them. The backs are a little bouncey not bad, but I figure with the age of the car, all four should be replaced. Especially with my driving style.

So the questions I have are.

1. KYB's or monroes or brand X ?

2. Should I replace the springs and mounts also? If so, where to get springs?

3. What about suspension bushings? should these be replaced at some point?

4. What about Body bushings?

5 Wheres a good place to shop for these parts?

Edited by 952.2LX
more info

Lots of questions there

1. KYB's or monroes or brand X ? Monroe's working fine for me. Only 75 each shipped from Amazon

2. Should I replace the springs and mounts also? If so, where to get springs? Replace with OEM springs. As far as the mounts , if there are bad replace. There are bad if your steering wheel does not turn back to 0 after a turn. Got my springs from 1stsubaruparts.com

3. What about suspension bushings? should these be replaced at some point? I did not replace but wish I did the sway bar bushings

4. What about Body bushings? No, unless bad

5 Wheres a good place to shop for these parts? amazon.com and 1stsubaruparts.com

I'm replacing both rear springs and struts on the 05 OBW at 95K, but I have done a lot of towing so the rear suspension is starting to get soft. As mentioned above, how the car has been used and driven will play into when the components need to be replaced.

Subaru OEM struts - $89/ea springs - $34/ea

from Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru.

I should mention that I still running on the originals on the 96 OBW - 263K miles! They're soft too, but *not too* bouncy, and I perfer the ride compared to way it rode when it was youngster. ;)

Edited by PAezb