Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Four arrested for illegal wheeling near Hood River

TeamCF

And now the tree huggers around Hood River have more ammo to point at us. :mad:

*Last names removed for privacy...

News Release from: Oregon State Police

FOUR CITED ON CRIMINAL TRESPASS AND MISCHIEF OFFENSES FOLLOWING 4-WHEELER INCIDENT ON PRIVATE REFORESTED MEADOW IN HOOD RIVER COUNTY

An Oregon State Police (OSP) Fish & Wildlife Division investigation into a complaint that 4-wheel drive vehicles trespassed and damaged a reforested meadow on private SDS Lumber Company property in Hood River County led to four Mosier-area men being cited for criminal trespass and mischief offenses.

On March 18, 2009 OSP Senior Trooper Joel McNerney received a report that several vehicles were stuck in a reforested meadow on SDS Lumber Company property off Huskey Hill Road causing approximately a thousand dollars in damage. Subsequent to an investigation by McNerney with the assistance of Senior Trooper Swede Pearson, four suspects were identified and interviewed. They were cited to appear in Hood River County Circuit Court on felony and misdemeanor charges.

The investigation alleges the incident began on the evening of March 17th when a white 1986 Toyota pickup and blue 1987 Ford Bronco became buried in the mud on private SDS Lumber Company property. The next day, four men returned to the area in a black 2001 Toyota Tundra pickup and tan Army National Guard Humvee. They drove these vehicles into the meadow where they also became stuck. They called a tow company to come out and remove the four stuck vehicles.

One of the men reportedly is an Army National Guard member and had checked the Humvee out for a road test but instead used it to come out to the meadow to try and help remove the stuck vehicles. It should also be noted that the blue Ford Bronco driven by a different person not involved in this incident got stuck in the middle of Hood River near Dee, Oregon on February 1, 2009.

The following four men were each cited for Criminal Mischief in the First Degree, a class C felony, and Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree, a class A misdemeanor:

* JIMMIE, age 20, from Mosier

* JAMES, age 26, from Mosier

* JONATHAN, age 26, from Mosier

* TRAVIS, age 27, from Mosier

Criminal Mischief in the First Degree is a class C felony punishable by a maximum fine of $125,000 and 5 years in prison.

Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree is a class C misdemeanor punishable by a maximum fine of $1,250 and 30 days in jail.

I dont see this being a tree hugger issue as opposed to people trespassing and doing damage on private property. Your beef should be with those who broke the law.

I proly could have explained my feelings in more detail. :)

My beef IS with the trespassers. That was just stupid on thier part.

The "tree huggers" can however use it as one more incedent in thier files to help thier fight to end us. They are just doing what they do, and idiots in 4x4s just keep on handing them more ammo.

Every time something like this happens it's just one more nail in wheeling's coffin. There will be alot of people that will not look so much at the fact they trespassed. They'll look at the fact they were tearing up a replanted area.

I'm NOT a "tree hater" myself, heck I even looked at some full electric cars for a DD a few months ago. I'm kind of a tree hugger that happens to like wheeling. We need protected areas and such.

We also need kids (and not just kids, but it seems it's mostly younger wheelers that tend to cause the harm) with 4x4's to start respecting them.

This hit's close to home as we are supposed to be getting some class 2 trails put in out in the Hood River area, which is just on the other side of the mountain for me. But if people don't cool it and wait. The rest of us waiting for the trails could suffer. A case of too many bitter feelings towards us causing future trail projects to be halted.

Self control and some "tread lightly" is the only thing that is gonna keep us from getting pushed into fewer and fewer scattered ORV parks. That, at least around me, tend to only cater to the ATV crowd. (I just found a new area a few days ago southeast of Mollala. But it's only for bikes and quads, no 4x4s allowed)

In the end it's our fault as a whole, and we have the power to keep our off road rigs from becoming obsolete.

It's happening fast near me. And it seems to be picking up speed.

I've looked at some forest maps from several years ago. Found a bunch of marked "4x4 trails" around the Mt. Hood area. I'd say at this point, about 95-99% of them have been closed off. I've explored some, and roads that lead to them are gated, blocked with concrete walls, new signage, ect.

All I can hope for is the few ORV park type areas that are supposed to be created in the next couple years around here actually happen. I have the maps, but the areas are still closed. One of which has not moved forward cause illegal wheeling has still been going on there and the FS is just getting fed up with the wheelers. (La Dee Flats area)

I'd love to have some close to home trails,...... My wheeler Soob is a real pain on the highway! :lol:

Edited by TeamCF

I am making an electric vehicle, and I do solar energy for a a living. Pretty tree huggery. And, I also like taking my subaru or my sasquatch out wheeling on occasion and get them stuck and winch them out and all. I'm always careful to stay on marked FS trails and to not ignore private property and road closed for restoration signs and not to make new trails through the woods and such. Because i've been on the other side, and found new atv and dirt bike trails ripped through the middle of my favorite hiking areas. If everyone could be somewhat cognizant of other people's activities (and of the law too :) then it would avoid the polarizing of "we want to wheel EVERYWHERE" and "WE don't want to allow your wheeling rig out of your garage"

Z

I guess the use of the language kind of throws people off or on, depending on their stance on some issues. Out here in Oregon (as well as other states) this is becoming a increasingly sensitive issue. But, like all issues there are those that fall in the middle and those that go to the extremes.

Unfortunately, out here those that fall on the extreme anti off roading crowd, tend to scream the loudest and make the most noise which apparently perks up the ears of those that make the legislation. Environmentalism is kind of a popular subject these days, not only by those that truly care for the environment, but by those "sheeple" who tend to jump on any bandwagon that comes around. (I refer to those types of humanoids that dont' really care about the issue, but care that their favorite celebrity cares about the issue, so of course, it must be righteous and just...enough to scream and yell about something they have no knowledge or reference of) Once they start in on us, and start depicting us as a bunch of inconsiderate "rednecks" or whatever, more and more people get to screaming too. It's real hard to paint a positive picture when there are so many uninformed people, focusing on the actions of a small percentage of idiots out there being careless.

I have always been an advocate of preserving natural habitat, but also working within the boundaries to enjoy our natural wonders, whether it be 4x4 off roading, atv's, bikes, etc. I remember growing up here in Oregon, there were tons of trails and places to go out in the woods to explore, and it was ok. But a small percentage started trashing areas, trespassing and what not, of course ruining it for us all. Now, so many areas are closed, it's hard to find anywhere to get out and enjoy our off road vehicles.

Until we start organizing and making as much or more positive "noise" about our hobby, I fear this will be a steady decline for us all.

Edited by sleddogg

I hate to see this stuff happen...:eek: it just takes the wind out of the wheelin sails...

I've been on about every side of the issue with land use..

As A hiker, mtn. biker, equestrian, Wheeler, ..so I hug trees for many different reasons...I want to preserve as well and have access...It's a fine line..

I guess the use of the language kind of throws people off or on, depending on their stance on some issues. Out here in Oregon (as well as other states) this is becoming a increasingly sensitive issue. But, like all issues there are those that fall in the middle and those that go to the extremes.

Unfortunately, out here those that fall on the extreme anti off roading crowd, tend to scream the loudest and make the most noise which apparently perks up the ears of those that make the legislation. Environmentalism is kind of a popular subject these days, not only by those that truly care for the environment, but by those "sheeple" who tend to jump on any bandwagon that comes around. (I refer to those types of humanoids that dont' really care about the issue, but care that their favorite celebrity cares about the issue, so of course, it must be righteous and just...enough to scream and yell about something they have no knowledge or reference of) Once they start in on us, and start depicting us as a bunch of inconsiderate "rednecks" or whatever, more and more people get to screaming too. It's real hard to paint a positive picture when there are so many uninformed people, focusing on the actions of a small percentage of idiots out there being careless.

I have always been an advocate of preserving natural habitat, but also working within the boundaries to enjoy our natural wonders, whether it be 4x4 off roading, atv's, bikes, etc. I remember growing up here in Oregon, there were tons of trails and places to go out in the woods to explore, and it was ok. But a small percentage started trashing areas, trespassing and what not, of course ruining it for us all. Now, so many areas are closed, it's hard to find anywhere to get out and enjoy our off road vehicles.

Until we start organizing and making as much or more positive "noise" about our hobby, I fear this will be a steady decline for us all.

Exactly. Whole post is 100%.

Second paragraph, is the nail hit squarely on the head. Alot of people really don't care too much. But thier fave celeb and the other hippsters down at the coffee shop do, so they must follow suit so they can be cool as well.

I think you've worded/explained far better than I have. :)

And I'm sorry for having brought out these "bummer threads" in our wheeling section. But I frequent a few other 4x4 boards and such, poke around the FS websites alot, so I see these issues pop up alot. And it's stuff we need to pay attention to if we want to keep on rollin' through the woods.

yea, I'm heavily into the politics as well. the state of MN is the 3rd largest land owner in the US. after the federal gov't, and the state of AK. yet, we have ONE decent state owned ORV park (there are a couple other places where there are a few marked trails, but they're no tougher than your average minimum maintence road. 4WD not necessary). AND almost every private location has been shut down by the state.

it's a PR campaign. just like you said, those aiming the ammo at us will not look at the trespassing part, but the destruction, and point that same finger at those of us who are careful. So we have to be very careful at what we make public. even if you were out wheeling on private property with full permission. if it can be used against us, keep it to yourself....I do ;)

pistons wild is trying to get areas open for us over here in the Vancouver WA and ptown or area, they helped e with my fubar with my old jeep, i got it stuck somewhere that i didn't know i wasn't supposed to be and then some rump roast hats torched my jeep after they pulled it out of the hole i was stuck in. but yeah i was one of those guys but after losing my jeep and thinking about what could've happened that day and the fines and what not i don't do that type of wheelin anymore. pretty expensive lesson

CF,

I think we can look at this in another light and use it in favor of opening ORV parks. If there were ORV areas in the MT.HOOD forest, then maybe these clowns would not be tearing up replanted areas.

Point being is that there is a need for these areas close to Portland/Vancouver and until there is a sanctioned area there will always be people looking to wheel in an off limits area.

CF,

I think we can look at this in another light and use it in favor of opening ORV parks. If there were ORV areas in the MT.HOOD forest, then maybe these clowns would not be tearing up replanted areas.

Point being is that there is a need for these areas close to Portland/Vancouver and until there is a sanctioned area there will always be people looking to wheel in an off limits area.

that is the truth of the situation. if all the public locations are closed off, illegal/destructive use will go up exponentially....

Yeah more designated areas would cut the illegal wheeling down some.

But the catch is.

First the illegal wheeling needs to stop.

Whenever talks are started on making a certain area a legal OHV area.

And the bad wheelers still keep on using it while the talking is going on.

It has almost always ended up pissing off the landowners whether they be the state, federal, private, whatever to the point they cease talking and just shut the area down for good.

I've seen it time and time again on club sites all over. Good wheelers pissed cause the bad wheelers got negotiations stopped and the area was lost forever.

So the fact illegal wheeling happens does not help the case for getting more areas open.

It actually hurts our argument for the need for more areas.

It just makes us all look like idiots and no one wants to let idiots play on thier land.

And they'd much rather just put up a gate and fine us into the poorhouse.

The direct "We'll just keep doing it till you give us a spot!" method will not work for this.

Again I say.

Being involved is the only solution.

http://www.treadlightly.org

http://www.semasan.com

I've watched this from a motorcyclist perspective and without organizations like A.B.A.T.E. and MMA we probably wouldn't even be aloud on the highway anymore.

If you want to keep OHV area's open or get new ones you gotta be politically active.

First of all, you nailed it, sleddog. Exactly what I was thinking...

Secondly, the state of Oregon is one of the most (if not THE most) overall-liberally-minded states in this country. Oregon is also a very "green"-conscious state...making it one of the SUCKIEST places to get caught committing illegal environment-destroying acts! Come on, people! Start acting responsibly! Wheel where it's legal! Get your act together!

Here's the deal: I consider myself a conservationist. I care about this beautiful planet we live on. Now, I am not, by any means a greenie. Greenies are the ones who sit back on their laurels and COMPLAIN about the environment while the conservationists (us) get out there and DO something about it...when's the last time you saw a greenie at a trail cleanup day? NEVER. Because they would rather legislate than actuate (oh yeah...I just came up with that). Greenies care about paychecks and looking cool. They are sheep. They do what is popular. Conservationists care about Earth. We take care of our home, not because it's cool or stylish, but because we want to keep it healthy and pleasant to live on.

It only takes a little screw-up to get the greenies' (negative) attention...and no matter how many good and responsible deeds we do, the haters always focus much more strongly on the bad ones...

As a member of the hunting/mountain biking/gun-owning/four-wheeling/motorcycling communities, I'd appreciate a little more concern for and respect of, our laws...because when other people indiscriminately cross the line, MY rights get taken away...

With that said, if we give the greenies something to complain about, they will throw a b!tch fit. It's a guarantee. And they are the squeakiest wheel. They will undoubtedly get the legislative grease. So let's get smart and start making better decisions about what we do with our rights as Americans...or they will be removed from us.

Conservationists need to speak up and have a voice as well...we might be the minority here, but we can (and should) still fight for what is ours. Our voice as a responsible wheeling community will never be as loud as the greenies who moan and complain (and, ultimately, have a negative impact on our Earth - and the demeanor of its residents)...but we still have the responsibility to raise up in protest against the denial of our rights.

/end rant

wow. I'm not even really sure where I was going with that...but I hope it made sense...lol :rolleyes:

:grin:

Edited by Qman

First of all, you nailed it, sleddog. Exactly what I was thinking...

Secondly, the state of Oregon is one of the most (if not THE most) overall-liberally-minded states in this country. Oregon is also a very "green"-conscious state...making it one of the SUCKIEST places to get caught committing illegal environment-destroying acts! Come on, people! Start acting responsibly! Wheel where it's legal! Get your act together!

Here's the deal: I consider myself a conservationist. I care about this beautiful planet we live on. Now, I am not, by any means a greenie. Greenies are the ones who sit back on their laurels and COMPLAIN about the environment while the conservationists (us) get out there and DO something about it...when's the last time you saw a greenie at a trail cleanup day? NEVER. Because they would rather legislate than actuate (oh yeah...I just came up with that). Greenies care about paychecks and looking cool. They are sheep. They do what is popular. Conservationists care about Earth. We take care of our home, not because it's cool or stylish, but because we want to keep it healthy and pleasant to live on.

It only takes a little screw-up to get the greenies' (negative) attention...and no matter how many good and responsible deeds we do, the haters always focus much more strongly on the bad ones...

As a member of the hunting/mountain biking/gun-owning/four-wheeling/motorcycling communities, I'd appreciate a little more concern for and respect of, our laws...because when other people indiscriminately cross the line, MY rights get taken away...

With that said, if we give the greenies something to complain about, they will throw a b!tch fit. It's a guarantee. And they are the squeakiest wheel. They will undoubtedly get the legislative grease. So let's get smart and start making better decisions about what we do with our rights as Americans...or they will be removed from us.

Conservationists need to speak up and have a voice as well...we might be the minority here, but we can (and should) still fight for what is ours. Our voice as a responsible wheeling community will never be as loud as the greenies who moan and complain (and, ultimately, have a negative impact on our Earth - and the demeanor of its residents)...but we still have the responsibility to raise up in protest against the denial of our rights.

/end rant

wow. I'm not even really sure where I was going with that...but I hope it made sense...lol :rolleyes:

:grin:

You said it perfectly.

One of the men reportedly is an Army National Guard member and had checked the Humvee out for a road test but instead used it to come out to the meadow to try and help remove the stuck vehicles.

I can't believe that no one pointed this out. The guy who did that will be the one who really gets his rump roast handed to him.

Not that I agree with the tree huggers and all that, (I love spotted owls, they taste just like chicken.) but you guys in Oregon have nothing to *************** about. Look at the facts:

Total of Oregon Roadless (read no trails) Land: 1,963,190 acres

Total of Idaho Roadless (see above) Land: 9,317,108 acres

Idaho has the most roadless wilderness area in the lower 48. I've been through some of it on horseback that would make killer trails for 4x4's. So until Oregon adds another 7.4 million acres, I think that Idahoans have more to complain about.

* Please do not take this post personally, it has been typed by someone who has had a very rough week, and has consumed waayyy too many beers.

**Total acreage taken from this site: http://roadlessland.org/index.php

Edited by subaru_noob