Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, there's been a lot of talk about wanting a 3 gen brat...

I say we start a petition!

I personally would like a brat with the 07 imp front end, frameless windows,

t-tops, and I'll give subaru the chance to not screw up the rest of the body...

But I want an EJ18 with a turbo option, a 5sp d/r tranny minimum,

preferably a 6sp d/r with clutch style rear lsd standard.

Plus Brat only 8 spoke white wheels, just like the old style, but 16 inch 5 lug.

Please, feel free to join in with your comments and your support!

Twitch

Hence the petition...

And if we get it through to subaru that there is a demand for it, they will

have to consider building it...

If they did make one, which they did (Baja), would you be in line to buy one?

The reason I ask is because when Fuji released the new forester turbo, they stated that the reason for not equipping it with a manual transmission was because only 5% of turbo forester buyers from the last generation of U.S. bound vehicles ordered them with 5 speeds.

You got a new brat, the baja. Nobody bought them. Sorry to be blunt, but that is the way marketing types see it.

Yeah, but that was a lame package really, all in all. MUCH bigger than the original brat, but with LESS cargo room in the bed. The appeal of the Brat is big capability in the small package. The Baja manages to seem even more bloated than the outback it is based on. They tried to market it to 40+ professionals, who in reality, like the regular wagon outback better.

A true *brat* to me would have to be a 2 door, or perhaps a *jumpdoor* 4 door like an FJ cruiser. Also it would need to be slightly taller and have better approach angles (not the plastic chin bubble and long tail) I'd like to see an EJ22 in it with AWD D/R. 4.44 final drive, (or at least 4.11) And lastly, it should be somewhat devoid of bells and whistles, so it can be affordable and marketed to 20-35 year olds.

A true *brat* to me would have to be a 2 door, or perhaps a *jumpdoor* 4 door like an FJ cruiser. Also it would need to be slightly taller and have better approach angles (not the plastic chin bubble and long tail) I'd like to see an EJ22 in it with AWD D/R. 4.44 final drive, (or at least 4.11) And lastly, it should be somewhat devoid of bells and whistles, so it can be affordable and marketed to 20-35 year olds.

I agree completely!

But I would personall prefer the EJ18 because of fuel economy and price.

Smaller engine=less cost.

I would also prefer that AC is optional and the cost from the extra crap be

deferred to drivetrain improvements.

SO it may not have heated/cooled seats but it has a 6sp d/r tranny and only

a $20,000 price tag.

That would be :cool:

And I challenge Subaru to do it by the 2012 model year.

Exactly 25 years after the last BRAT was produced.

Come on urabuS!

Get back to your roots.

"Inexpensive, and built to stay that way"

Twitch

And I challenge Subaru to do it by the 2012 model year.

Exactly 25 years after the last BRAT was produced.

It just ain't gonna happen. Maybe if the Baja had done better, but as far as Fuji is concerned, it was a failure. Might have to wait another 20+ years for the next BRAT, just like we did.

If they did make one, which they did (Baja), would you be in line to buy one?

Got one :grin: (see avatar)

Personally I dont think a petition would help. Everyone WANTS one, but who wants for fork over $25K for something... Remember the newest thunderbird? people said build it... well it flopped.... ditto with the GTO. And kinda the same with the baja. They built it, its a great vehicle, but it was not marketed at all.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/forester_ute_lift.jpg

If they would have done this instead of the Baja, they would have sold MILLIONS I tell ya, MILLIONS!!!

That with D/R AWD, locking center AND rear diff, 4.44 gearing, and options like roll-bars and heavy-duty bumpers and we'd have ourselves a Subaru. I can't imagine the new gen Forester chopped like that though...

The Baja was aimed at a more general market than the original Brat. I think the Baja will someday be looked back upon as a Subaru classic however. It's just so damn wierd.