Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The joys of a 79 brat?

Hey everyone, contemplating getting a 79 brat. We just impounded it and the guy is signing over the title for it so I'm think I can get it for about 100 to 200 dollars. He says all thats wrong with it is the alternator, but we know how that goes (the old "well it ran when I parked it" thing). Theres no key for it, but i think I can figure out how to by pass it. When I look at it, the belt for the alt. is about half the width it should be, and you can spin the pulley/fan blade on the alt freely- i think it just the belt. Anyways my question is...what types of things can be done to these as far as mod's. It will be my back up soob. so I can tinker with it some. Somebody already ran a dual exhaust up out of the bed next to the cab...not sure about the quality of it yet haven't really looked at it. So any input on mods or availability of parts would be appreciated

I just so happen to work for a wrecking yard, and the vehicle was left abandoned and we impounded it, so rather than paying the tow bill the guy is just giving us the title, I know all my boss will do with it is crush it. I can't let that happen to a running subaru, lol I just don't have the heart to see it happen. I'm not looking to restore it, parts in our area aren't that readily available. When the price of metal was high last summer lots of classic cars got crushed. So just any ideas on what others have done to their brats would be cool. And just an overall impression of the Brat as a car itself. I've currently got an 89 DL wagon. It spends alot of time in the summer and fall up in the mountains hunting and fishing.

restore

modify

pick one!

very few parts are readily available, which is why most are modified to install newer parts

they are fine for smaller people :) great for around town decent offroad can be tiring during 3 hour 160 mile continuous road trips definately a keeper

• 3 months later...