Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! Brat wont come out of 4WD.

Ok heres the deal. I have brat with a 4" lift. 3" blocks on the engine crossmember, and 2" blocks on the transmission crossmember and rear end. I finished the lift and started driving it (5 miles or so) yesterday.

The 4wd selector will lock in to 4lo and 4 high. When I push down to go into 2wd it will not click or hit the notch. Also the 4WD light will not go off. Yesterday when I was driving I did not have it locked into 4hi and I thought that it was in 2 (even though the 4wd light was on) If i pushed down on it alittle from where it normally sat the light would go off. Anyway I figured out that it was still in 4hi after I did some turning and the tires would squeak or chirp.

today I went out and tried to get it to pop out of 4hi, and was pushing down on the 4wd lever. if I push down on it all the way the transmission will shift and move. pulling up through the 4wd notches the tranny stays still. but pushing down it will move, due to the 4wd linkage pulling back on the transmission. Now the 4wd light stays on no matter how far I push the lever down.

After talking to Chux, I tried driving it in revers to remove any binding. I drove for about 1/2 a block in reverse while putting slight pressure downwards on the 4wd lever. It did not work. I also tried articulating it to lift a wheel off and potentially remove binding that way. I got the front pasenger wheel off the ground and still no luck.

Has anyone had issues like this before? Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? I am stumped... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

just an fyi, on my 85 BRAT 120k miles when i llfted 4" i had to re-weld, redesign the shift linkage for anything to work AT ALL. no joke

my shifter is not sloppy either.

I got eerything good now, except the 4wd indicator light switch is busted due to heavy hard 4wd activation. this is my 2nd switch.

I really don't comprehend those who lifted 4 inches and never had a problem.

also, AC cannot work after lift without a brain to fabricate the mounts/pulley/belt to route over the radiator lower hose....

Make sure the trans and diff have enough gear oil in them... have you tried putting the car on jackstands with all 4 wheels off the ground?

Are all of your tires the same make/model/size and properly inflated?

Also check the linkages as Twitch suggests.

Try driving 30 mph or faster and after about 10-15 seconds at speed, try

pushing the lever down, and keep applying pressure as you drive until it

pops into 2wd.

If it doesn't, I would check all of your linkages.

You may have something getting in the way.

Twitch

I will give this a shot after I have checked my fluids again.

just an fyi, on my 85 BRAT 120k miles when i llfted 4" i had to re-weld, redesign the shift linkage for anything to work AT ALL. no joke

Interesting. My friend did a 4" lift on his 88 Hatch and had similar issues with the gear lever, but not the 4wd selector. I guess there are alot of variables when it comes to doing a lift. Hopefully mine isnt going to require that level of fabrication. I was so happy to have it on the road for the spring, it would be terrible to have to take it apart again.

Make sure the trans and diff have enough gear oil in them... have you tried putting the car on jackstands with all 4 wheels off the ground?

Are all of your tires the same make/model/size and properly inflated?

Also check the linkages as Twitch suggests.

I will do this right away tomorrow after work. I havent driven it in over 8 months (4wd/2wd worked back then) the only thing that is different is the front is lifted now. So I will check fluid levels and linkage clearances. and yes the tires are all the same make/size/inflation/wear level.

I have not tried putting it on jackstands, I might have to give that a shot as well.

Thanks for the input all. I will let you know if I make any progress.

if you want to fix the 4wd light being on issue, you will need to take off the console/ebrake plastic cover and look for the black plastic switch for the indicator, it is probably in 2 pieces by now.

the other issues, are just simply what happens when one lifts a BRAT. I have the same and so do you. Live with it, or take it back to stock. There is a lot of extra issues that no-body writes about after a lift install. I am with you, and wish that things went better.

Well I think I got it out of 4wd. the light is still on, but I think that might be broken. I drove it up to a buddies shop, about 10 miles each way. When I hit 3rd gear for the first time it made a clunk and seemed much better.

I was on some pavement and put it in 4wd and it would hop or try to hop. I tried putting it in 2wd after that and it didnt do it (ok it did it a tiny, tiny bit but that is probably due to higher RPMs to get the big tires to turn).

I will have to see if I have any issues in the future. Hopefully this issue is gone for good. (so I can move onto other ones...)

The 4/3" sjr lift on my EA82 moved the position of the linkage, so that I couldn't get it out of 4X, simply because the lever bottomed out on the floor. I temp fixed it by loosening the linkage bracket under the car that has the rubber block on it and using bolts, so that the 4X lever studs just rode on top of it. The perm fix will be an additional 1" rubber shim bolted on to the bracket. I'll post it on my build thread, when I get around to it. :lol: