Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 XT Turbo Blown head gasket (help)

I was wondering what the best way to look at replacing the gasket is?

Should I try and do it my self or take it to a shop and pay a bunch of money?

How hard is the job the blown gasket is on the drivers side.

Thanks!

Do it yourself.

I spent 550 on my Loyale (ran like crap).

50 on the gasket set (If it lasts 6 months I'm good)

50 on the Timing belts and pullys (6 Months, still good)

3 days in a Friends garage (Took us two days to decide to pull the engine)

Once we figured pulling the engine was the best idea we were done in an hour and a half.

Paid him a 12-Pack.

So now I have a Loyale that will last me a while (If I decide to take care of it, still up in the air).

And it really didn't cost all that much. Where are you located, do you have tools, do you have garage space? If you're near me (Reno, NV) count me in on giving a helping hand.

If you're not near me, logic still applies. Do it yourself and save some cash.

EDIT: If you're near me I'll trade you a Trek Bicycle (1.5, not a cheezy azz bike) for you're XT as is. Seems fair. You'll still get around anyway. LOL! No really, fix it yourself. Cheap and easy(ish).

Edited by Dj0rk
On Drunk Thought...

I was wondering what the best way to look at replacing the gasket is?

Should I try and do it my self or take it to a shop and pay a bunch of money?

How hard is the job the blown gasket is on the drivers side.

Thanks!

Not saying the HG hasn't failed but the way you have described it would make it a rare failure. Without seeing the leak I would first suspect a leaking intake manifold gasket or one of the heater hoses.

Thanks a lot Dj0rk I was just mad at the time and that's what came out lol.

I live in Gresham OR and I don't have any garage space and have a limited amount of tools. that's why I got the head gasket fix stuff you pour in the cooling system and it temporarily fixes the head gasket. I was going to take it to a shop and pull the engine.As far as knowing its the head gasket, I'm pretty sure that if water is spurting out of the head gasket then its probably blown? The car ran fine like 5 hours before I got the gasket fix stuff then when I put the stuff in the car it ran... then died. it would start again then die then finally it wouldn't want to start. So I don't know what to do?

You might be looking for a new engine.

Or at least a major tear-down.

Never use crap like that in a Subaru, it gums up the whole works.

You need to ask questions before doing something you are not sure about.

Thats why we are here, to help.

We have a few members in your area, I think one of them is a qualified mechanic (Hondasucks).

Thanks a lot Dj0rk I was just mad at the time and that's what came out lol.

I live in Gresham OR and I don't have any garage space and have a limited amount of tools. that's why I got the head gasket fix stuff you pour in the cooling system and it temporarily fixes the head gasket. I was going to take it to a shop and pull the engine.As far as knowing its the head gasket, I'm pretty sure that if water is spurting out of the head gasket then its probably blown? The car ran fine like 5 hours before I got the gasket fix stuff then when I put the stuff in the car it ran... then died. it would start again then die then finally it wouldn't want to start. So I don't know what to do?

That would be great if someone could look at the car. I have had little help with the car, I figured since it only had 113k miles that it wouldn't need anything major...

How much would a new engine cost me?

That would be great if someone could look at the car. I have had little help with the car, I figured since it only had 113k miles that it wouldn't need anything major...

How much would a new engine cost me?

The engine in your XT is a EA82T. If you do a search you will find that they are very temperamental and sensitive to cooling issues.

A rebuilt is also pretty expensive.

Up to $2k, but you get a worry free engine (if your cooling system is 115%)

Another option is to swap a EJ22 in it. Theres lots of info here related to that in the Retrofitting Forum.

Not a reply, but along the same line. I have an ’89 NA XT with a blown HG. There’s an EJ22 swap in the future, but for now, what’s involved in using an EA82 SPFI? Will the current ECU work or will I need to swap it out as well?

Umm sorry I dont know to much about the hole swap thing Lol Im 17 and dont really want to do a swap but might. Maybe someone will reply with your answer :)

On another note my car is running again and Im gonna try and fix the gasket with the gasket fix stuff, I put new plugs, wires, Oil filter, and oil and it fired right up today. :) I hope I dont jinx it!

I know that I'm just trying to get the car running well enough to get it to a shop or a garage so I can work on it there not my apartments...

It seems to be working though there is alot less steam coming from the head gasket and the temp went down eventually. Maybe there is hope :]

This will not end well.

And with that, I'm done.

I know that I'm just trying to get the car running well enough to get it to a shop or a garage so I can work on it there not my apartments...

It seems to be working though there is alot less steam coming from the head gasket and the temp went down eventually. Maybe there is hope :]

You are in for a treat. I am not sure about the XT but on my RX the passenger head was kind of a pain. see this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93453&highlight=turbo+head+gasket

Other than the turbo side getting them off was fairly straight forward, but then again I never got mine back together because the cylinder walls had rusted pretty badly so I spent $750 on a JDM engine. If I was doing them again I would take the engine out and spend some scratch on a used hoist and stand. Others will disagree but I have little experience and no power tools.

that helps I might not need a lift then the gasket I need to replace is on the drivers side so it seems like there is more to take off... I think I just need to take my time and label where everything goes back together.

Thanks!

Well I took the head off and its definitely the gasket it has some spots where it looks chewed through so now I need to get a gasket set and have the head checked there was some water in the cylinder's so I stuffed rags in there to dry them out. what should I do when all this is taken apart, my friend told me I need to shine up all the valves and stuff how should I go about doing that?

Edited by tysree