Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Markus56

Home Made Roof Rack

I am thinking hard about making a roof rack. A big one.

30" x 60"

Anyone done something similar to this?

I'm trying to decide what to use a slats. maybe wood?

I appreciate all ideas. Even the ones that say dont do it. I'll ignore those :lol:

Ok ignore me.

:banana:

Why reinvent the wheel?

What are you planning to carry on the roof. there is a limitation as to how much you can put on the roof, and where you need to put the supports.

nipper

My brother in law and I made a small one for my hatch a long time ago, we mounted it using Yakima bars... It was used a lot, as a hatch doesnt have much room inside :)

-Jaren

Redneck roof rack:

Strap a pallet to the crossbars! :lol:

Seriously, though, I'd keep it as light weight as possible. Something like the old VW bug racks with the wood slats, would be killer. 1X3" teak or oak, wet sanded with teak oil... :slobber:

I want something big enough to hold 2 28" tires. and i have all the stuff i need just laying around waiting to be used

something along the lines of a frame made of small square tubing welded together with a decently strudy metal mesh floor would work... may be heavy though. Size it to be the size of the base of the tent size. You may need a place to lean a ladder up against the car.

I'm a wood guy and I like the wood rack idea. Teak is rather expensive but the price of Jatoba fluctuates a lot. $3.30bf to $5.50 range. A little heavy but way strong. Teak is like $18bf. Clean vg cedar w/o knots Kiln dried, oiled well will have the lightness and the strength, weather ability to do what you need, it will ring if its a good un-damaged piece. All my racks have been cedar but I just scored a 5/4 rippled stick of figured jatoba for my next rack. :banana: I broke my last rack, I used home despot green undried knotty cedar mounted to the factory rails. It broke when I loaded a carpet roll on the top, I let it land too hard. It split right on a knot. I should have known. Still using it with a replacement stick.

I am going to use a piece of painted plywood as a bottom with 4 supports equal lengths apart. The plywood will be attached to the metal somehow... then i'll figure out sides and a roof.

HAHA!! :headbang:

it's been six months but i finally have a cargo rack! :banana:

its the same size as the roof of the car so i have plenty of room for stuff like 2 full size spare tires, high jack, cooler, lawn chair, BBQ, etc...

its almost finished. i ran out of paint and daylight

PICT0001.JPG

and for when i have more money:

PICT0002.JPG

i put 4 light tabs across the front :cool:

so when i install all of them, my car will have 12 headlights :grin:

wal mart has some decent ones for 22 buck for 2

Edited by Markus56

I wanna see that thing mounted.

Remember center of gravity, the lower the better. You dont want it 6" off your roof sitting ontop of thule x-bars. Not only is it high and looks real goofy, but your gonna need a ladder to load & unload it.

where would one get free bed frames like that.

I got a plan to fence more of my yard in for the dogs, and that would work real nice attached to posts along the yard perimeter

WIth that last pic I thought to myself, dang that looks familiar. Then as I read, a bunk bed frame! Ive got the exact bunkbed for the kids. And I am going to be taking out the lower bunk. Now I know what I can do with it. Thanks for the idea. Are you going to put any walls around it?

Mike

l_2f5fe8e17e29455f90956b621701ef77.jpg[/img]

l_f10d8c52709bf8651725bcb5b3997b81.jpg

i built my rack out of an old hospital bed frame... i can put my 29x8.8 super swampers up on it just had to do alittle welding and grinding :banana: but i put a few pictures up..... but it shouldnt be to hard to build one or you can get a yakima one....