Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 Coupe Love ..Restore Progress ( Pics page 2)

So we might have nipped the electrical problem in the butt...will know by morning...but right now it is holding steady at 12.54v. Something blew out the EA82 alt ..so we put the XT6 alt back on and for now it seems fine. I have the drivers side 90% stripped down. poor baby looks so naked. I have pics I will download later. I think I asked about 5 times if I am doing the right thing...almost feel like I am hurting the car. Jerry.. if the voltage holds overnight... I will be sending you that weber soon. we also retorqued the heads and adjusted the valves. And hatchsub even said that mine runs nicer and quieter then his low mileage hydro motor. I have also desided on my paint and body guy... I have gotten quite a few refrences for this guy so I think I will go with him.

http://www.Austinsautoworks.com

does superb work and at half the first quote.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12.53 volts and holding as of this morning :banana::banana::banana::banana: we are still not sure what we did but ..well ..its not draining now. So I will probably be pulling the carb in the next week and sending it out to you Jerry:grin: ( finally ..geesh I am slow).

amd here is the links to the in process pics..I got some decent ones showing the body damage that I am having fixed.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/LBsRestore/

Thanks.. the thing is ..Backwoodsboy was playing with the electrical and we still have no clue what he did. He is even clueless. All he did was unwrap the harness around the alt. and ..now it is good.:-\

Also started removing unnecessary wiring and relays and parts from the engine bay. going to give it a cleaner appearance. Will also make it easier to remove everything and replace it after the trip to body and paint.

I am still hoping all this is worth it in the end....I keep questioning if I am doing the right thing. Right now my poor coupe looks so naked.

Im gonna pull those bumper struts off my hatch after I eat, so I ll have pics this evening. Glad that you got the votage drain figured out (apparently)

-Bill

NO hurry Bill... you have your mind on other things right now..if you know what I mean.

Let me know what your body shop ends up doing about those sunroof mounts. Mine look about the same and I'll need to get them fixed sooner than later...

I will probably be fixing those myself since I do my own minor body work. Mine arent bad at all..just havent cleaned them up yet so it looks worse then it is.

Backwoodsboy was playing with the electrical and we still have no clue what he did. He is even clueless.

Hows that any different than normal? :grin:

All the wires looked to be in previously untouched condition.

No breaks in the insulation, and no internal wire breaks. Continuity checks always came back good wherever I tested.

we are now 24 hours later ( ok more like 36) and its still holding at........ 12.53!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana: Going to pull the carb today and get it boxed up to send to Jerry DeMoss the weber master!:grin: if he is ready for it.

BTW.. Thanks a Million for all the help John and Jess. Couldnt have done it without you.... and Steve (hatchsub) Thanks for bringing that BEAUTIFUL Camaro out. I told you we wouldnt make you park it around the block.

I couldnt resist...had to see what these are going to look like...only part I have more rare then these ( which these are brand new last in the country in dealer stock) is my louvers.

Droooollll.:

005.jpg

Dont worry..they were just set in the mounting holes...the adhesive is still intact and they are back at home in their foam bags and bubblewrap

Edited by Bucky92

BTW.. Thanks a Million for all the help John and Jess. Couldnt have done it without you.... and Steve (hatchsub) Thanks for bringing that BEAUTIFUL Camaro out. I told you we wouldnt make you park it around the block.

Although, you should have. :-p

005.jpg

Eeps, those are beautiful!

Thats perfect Bill :)... I can clean it up and repaint it.. which I plan on doing to my other one. I discovered this awesome epoxy paint. Let me know how much and a paypal addy etc shipped to 06776. New bumper beam should be here in the next day or so..then I just need that one trim piece ( the long black one) and to stop down and see moosens to get the new guards. Then the tail section is done. Carb is off and will be shipped tomorrow to Jerry for another look see. and I plan on getting the front off within the next few days.

Still wondering about how I am going to restore the rims.

Those rims look pretty good, whats wrong with them? Im guessing the clearcoat has been gone for years, and there is probably light corrosion in areas? Probably just need a good sanding/polishing, then have them re clearcoated really good, with like umpteen million coats, then NEVER use Mag wheel cleaner/polish on them again, only soap and water or other paint-safe cleaners.

-Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Doing some more work on it today. So far I got alot stripped down..surprising since I am doing this alone and only once in awhile. I was also pleasantly surprised when I pulled off the fender. alittle of the wonderful Seattle gunk..but it didnt cause any damage to it. I should be able to straighen the little biff in the fender myself now that its off. Anyway ..pics!

LB as he sits at 1:30 in the afternoon July 4th:

MoreCoupeRestore003.jpg

the inside of the fender ..where so many have problems:

MoreCoupeRestore009.jpg

His new blacked out honeycomber nose..for when he is done:

MoreCoupeRestore011.jpg

Just amazing..no rust here!:

MoreCoupeRestore005.jpg

More pics can be found here:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Bucky92/LBsRestore/

Even here in the PNW that area of the fenders is usually the first to rust out.

Now that the city of Seattle is using salt on the roads,it wont be long before alot of the PNW subi's are rusty. Along with anything else thats a few years old. It's been a fun ride,but our days/years are numberd.

It looks Great,Connie. I know your not driving it in the winter,either. I'm staying far away from Seattle during the winter months,also.

Edited by markjw