Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As most of us are no doubt aware of, the current Sube oil filters are noticeably smaller than the previous ones. This is true for the aftermarket filters as well.

I just got a couple of Denso filters and am amazed at how much smaller they are. Denso likely manufactures the oem filters for Subaru; they supply most of the Japanese car manufacturers as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know if the smaller ones have as much filter element material as the older ones?

Maybe current state of the art filter technology allows for higher performance in a smaller package?

Whaddya think?

As most of us are no doubt aware of, the current Sube oil filters are noticeably smaller than the previous ones. This is true for the aftermarket filters as well.

I just got a couple of Denso filters and am amazed at how much smaller they are. Denso likely manufactures the oem filters for Subaru; they supply most of the Japanese car manufacturers as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know if the smaller ones have as much filter element material as the older ones?

Maybe current state of the art filter technology allows for higher performance in a smaller package?

Whaddya think?

...current technology has not changed all that much when comparing regular filter media, ..the newer cars of today run much more efficient thus cleaner oil...the smaller, narrower design is possible because the center cavity of the filter is narrower (less volume inside) when comparing for example an older design from purolator or a ford filter ...my newer style "nippon" filters have more pleats then the current newer style subi filters...my last oil analysis at 6000miles states that the oil filter is doing its job for the oil used mostly highway miles (ford 5/20 semi-syn)..don't forget and almost equally as important is to make sure that your air filter is trapping the contaminates..OE subi air filter for me

I own a independent Subaru Repair shop and I use the union sanyo filter, I can still get them using the older AA080 number. They are the larger filter, even though Subaru has gone to a smaller filter, I still use the larger filter on the cars that originally came with it since THAT IS HOW THE CAR WAS DESIGNED.

If the car was designed for a smaller filter from the factory or has the wrap around exhaust I use the Union Sanyo AA100. It indefinitely has more material in it then the "OEM" Subaru one.

The Subaru small oil filter story goes as this: Subaru USA originally had a white oil filter, it either leaked or cost too much money, so they used the Japanese Subaru oil filter, which was black. It leaked. So Subaru is now using the Canadian oil filter. Guess what? It leaks!!! I have gotten two in from dealership where the filter is leaking. Install new filter $4 and get a new customer.

To the end of my story, there are a lot of independent shops that buy 100% of their parts from Subaru, but just cuz Subaru sticks it in a box does not always mean it is the best product out there or most cost effect for customers. Whenever I can I research to find the OE part and buy from a supplier that carries it rather than from Subaru to pay the extra mark-up. Occasionally there is a better product out there, aka the oil filters

All my older Legacy get the bigger filters because that is how they came when they were build.

Richie

http://www.fixmysuby.com

I own a independent Subaru Repair shop and I use the union sanyo filter, I can still get them using the older AA080 number. They are the larger filter, even though Subaru has gone to a smaller filter, I still use the larger filter on the cars that originally came with it since THAT IS HOW THE CAR WAS DESIGNED.

If the car was designed for a smaller filter from the factory or has the wrap around exhaust I use the Union Sanyo AA100. It indefinitely has more material in it then the "OEM" Subaru one.

The Subaru small oil filter story goes as this: Subaru USA originally had a white oil filter, it either leaked or cost too much money, so they used the Japanese Subaru oil filter, which was black. It leaked. So Subaru is now using the Canadian oil filter. Guess what? It leaks!!! I have gotten two in from dealership where the filter is leaking. Install new filter $4 and get a new customer.

To the end of my story, there are a lot of independent shops that buy 100% of their parts from Subaru, but just cuz Subaru sticks it in a box does not always mean it is the best product out there or most cost effect for customers. Whenever I can I research to find the OE part and buy from a supplier that carries it rather than from Subaru to pay the extra mark-up. Occasionally there is a better product out there, aka the oil filters

All my older Legacy get the bigger filters because that is how they came when they were build.

Richie

http://www.fixmysuby.com

Thanks for sharing that..my friends subi who has the oil change done at the dealer has had now, twice in a row leaking oil filters, .. 99% of the time I do my own oil change, except for the last one..looked underneath and I too have a drip of oil hanging at the bottom of the filter base

There are millions of cars out there that have lived long lives on nothing but Fram filters. The Fram hatred found on internet car forums is totally irrational.

I don't use them myself anymore, I use OEM filters which can often found for just a couple dollars more, especially in case lots. Althought the new Subaru blue filter is made by Honeywell, who makes Fram, and has very similar construction. The only difference appears to be a higher bypass valve pressure.

The only people I hear of that usually have engine problems are those that take their car to discount shops to get oil change, where they use FRAM.

My RULE OF LAW:

1. I change my own oil, never take it to a shop

2. Use oem or Nippon or puralator filter, 99.5% i use oem, oem has the anti drain back valve, and the low pressure check valve.

3. Castrol GTX regular oil in 10w-30 weight for subaru., my honda gets 5w-30

, changed every 2500-3000 depends on if i am on a trip or not if i hit the 3g mark.

Edited by bheinen74

True, there are folks who say that they've always used Frams without problems but since there are many other filter brands with good reputations why take the risk with Fram.

Fram quality is suspect with reports of inferior construction materials used i.e.cardboard end plates, thin anti drainback valves that stick in an open position.

I've always used Red Line synthetic motor oil (5/40) changing it at 10k miles and Subaru oem filters or NAPA Gold, changing them at 5k miles.

I've now got several Nippon Denso filters that i'll be using.