Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric turbocharger

arniejay

• 2 weeks later...
anybody have any luck with these? the electric turbo charger, it sounds to me like it does the same thing a regular turbo does, but kinda chincey, but im kinda thinking about buyiing one

If your thinking of throwing your money away, I could put it to better use ;)

If you're talking about those little squirrel cage motors on ebay forget it. Those things probably can't even flow the CFM the engine needs under full throttle to begin with much less give any 'boost'.

Just consider the power required to give say 14 psi boost at 350CFM, this is much more than some little gadget can make. Even a 220V garage air compressor might have trouble keeping up.

Now I have seen an 'electric supercharger' setup that did give that kind of boost, but it could only do it for a couple minutes at a time I think it was and it was large heavy and had several batteries associated with it.

Just consider the power required to give say 14 psi boost at 350CFM, this is much more than some little gadget can make. Even a 220V garage air compressor might have trouble keeping up.

An understatement to be sure! I build compressors and compressed air packages and the rule is that you get about 4 CFM per 1 HP of electric motor @ 100 psi. Most "garage" air compressors are woefully inadequate for anything but infating tires IMO but that's beside the point..... To flow 350 CFM at 12 psi from lets say a Roots style blower you would need an electric motor putting out around 40 HP at 1800 RPM. 40 HP is getting really big to be running even on 230v three phase, and single phase? Forget it - the largest commonly availible single phase 230v motor's are 7.5 and 10 HP. Anything bigger and you are in the realm of three phase power.

For reference, most 230v "garage" compressors (home depot, sears, etc) put out less than 10 CFM @ 100 psi. Even my 5 HP Quincy QR-325 only puts out about 22 CFM and it's a full industrial machine costing around $4,000 retail. That's about the most you are ever going to see in someone's garage. At work we have a sandblast cabinet that USES 45 CFM for it's nozzle! I couldn't come close to running that in my garage even with a 10 HP machine. I would need two 10 HP machines and about a 200 gallon receiver. That's a lot of juice to be sucking from a residential drop.

Blowers are cool, but best left to crank driven or exhaust driven (turbines). Besides - installing a REAL exhaust driven turbo isn't that difficult.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder