Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project: Rustoleum on Grandma

Yea i was curious about the bedliner thing also. There is a thread on this very subject on this board. It can and does work. It wont fade any faster then any other cheepo rattle can paint job. So maybe he has to touch it up in 5 years. It will still be cheeper then a regular paint job.

5 years? more like 5 months.

Actually I have no problem with a rustoleum foam roller job on a beater car.

I certainly wouldn't put all that effort wet sanding cheap paint to get it to shine though.

If the OP can find some way to spay it with a gun vs the roller the results will be so much better and much less work.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure and about 1000 dollars more as well.

Again do research on this.

Indeed it should stand up fine several years if waxed and what not. I painted the front part under my radiator with rustoleum without sanding the original paint and I used a brush. This was about 6 months ago and it looks great. The parts that get hit by the most sun are covered in bedliner :) I am going to buy another can of it when im done to finish it up.

Edited by Caramanos2000

I have researched and read all the stuff on the web about the foam roller method.

Yeah that Charger up in Canada is pretty well known along with the white

Berreta or whatever it is.

Neither one look all that good to me know matter how cheap.

Here's a pic of a hood I painted for practice in a dusty open air shop.

Not a lick of wet sanding, buffing, nothing.

Single stage polyurethane enamel (Dupont Nason) sprayed with a cheap

Harbour Freight HVLP spray gun.

cressidahood032.jpg

cressidahood031.jpg

cressidahood030.jpg

Don't get me wrong folks I'm not knocking the guy at all and admire any DIY'er.

I just think the results won't equal all the time and effort.

Good Luck and I'm anxious to see the pics of it finished.

thats not bad, at the same time though when you dont have a compressor you gotta use what you gotta use... i would HVLP it my self but i dont have a compressor availagle to me at the moment any more...

well i do but its a big scary lookin old one

I just think the results won't equal all the time and effort.

Good Luck and I'm anxious to see the pics of it finished.

Definately, but my first was not great with a gun either.

You guys know you cant belive everything you read on the web. For all you know, that Corvair Caramanos was talking about took 4 months of sanding and has two layers of clear coat, heck for that matter it could be pro sprayed with the best products available and they just said it was rolled to get clicks at their site. But it can be done, I have no doubt. I personally would never brush/roll a car, but I was lucky enough to have materials and tools to learn with. I never even considered using a roller. But not everyone has these things.

Spraying for a first timer is tough. If you dont know what you are doing the car could look like stucco, and have plenty of runs needing lots of sanding as well. Ive painted a few: good and bad. No matter what if you spend the time it will look good (if anything at least at a distance). Since this is the first one you will do you will learn alot about it. Caramanos: good luck and have fun. Make it nice and show us how its done!

http://www.paintforcars.com/aep_sunshineyellow.html

I have a HVLP gun that was given to me I just dont have a compressor (which I can buy) or a place to do it because of all the overspray.

garage, tarps over everything. but a decent air compressor is going to cost some bucks still.

how well does rustoleum white compare to the OEM white? pretty close?

Thats looking good. kinda reminds me of my paint job on my evil POC 88 XT6:

moreRockyPics045.jpg

Definitely a better job then I did..but mine was rattlecanned. Happy to see someone doing this method. Looking sweet

you can still get the same results with a rattle can, usually requires alot more sanding.

Speaking of that plastic trim that runs the length of the car, what color is that supposed to be? My GL is a charcoal grey color, and the plastic trim is sort of a green-grey that doesn't look quite right. Was it chrome originally?

Edit: I mean the thin trim piece (about .5") That runs just under the door locks.

Edited by Aviator