Ultimate Subaru Message Board

More blasphemous ideas (purists don't read)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if everyone could please skip questioning my motives and just stick to the mechanical aspects of the questions, please? I seem to recall asking HOW to do something, not WHY I would/would not want to do somethng.
right on, too bad there's not a special edit feature for that, even after you request no commentary on it! i get the same thing with mine.

Pretty sure they're the same. I went 2wd a few times myself in both my '80 wagon and the Brat, both rwd. They drove much better, no torque steer. The last time I had the Brat in rwd, it snowed and I had to drive all the way from Bothell. It sucked so bad I almost ditched the Brat to walk home and grab a pair of snow tires. I had to take off in third gear in low range to maintain traction. But, I made it home. And spent an hour rolling around in the mud and slush installing front axles. Then spent half the night tearing up the town. Never again in the Brat or the wagon will I do that again. I'll get another car just for rwd (my neighbor's fwd Hatch for $50!). Hella fun line lock burnouts in rwd.

(joke forthcoming) I'll tell you what sucks, having only one or two vehicles. Then you're reliant on that one or two vehicles to do everything. How lame is that? I like having like 10, and they're all 4WD except my FWD conversion craziness. Owning less than 10 cars sucks, how restrictive and dependent to just have one or two cars running at all times:lol::lol:

FWD subarus are the black sheep of the board. Seems no matter what I do to my FWD XT-6, everyone always finds lifted GL wagon cooler.:-\ You WILL get more MPG out of it, but since it's previously 4wd and not awd, it won't be a whole lot.

Front wheel rulez :grin:

I know for sure that if I were to make a BRAT permanently 2WD, it would be FWD for sure.

6 + inches of wet white stuff on a hilly curvy road running with RWD only on a BRAT ups the pucker factor greatly. :eek:

Just not enough weight on the rear tires vs the front tires. Back end tends to step out alot. BTDT, weren't fun.... And I've owned many a 2WD truck during the winter months. A RWD BRAT doesn't even come close to driving like they did.

Not sure if I would swap the rear trailing arms out. But I would definetly loose the axles, rear diff, mustache bar, driveshaft.

After the pain I went through to get the stereo installed and the damn antenna replaced, I am NOT taking the radio console off... EVER again... :P

You did it wrong then. EA81 Radio console is super easy to remove, 4 screws.:confused:

If you had trouble with that, I am scared for you're conversion.