Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys I am new here. GOt a question, and hoping somebody could help me out. I live in south Louisiana and we use subaru engines in boats down here all the time. I just picked one up myself. Problem is I am not sure what engine is in the boat. I found a few numbers, but still not sure what it came out of. Took an act of congress for the local parts place to cross number on the stater I had to change. I need to rebuild carb, but dont know what kit to buy. It is stenciled ea82 on the block. If there is anyone who can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Welcome to the board. You've already ID the engine as an EA82, the year is unknown, so figure 85' and up. Stock they had a hitachi carb, many people pull them and put a WEBER carb on them, If you'll do a search for weber you'll find a lot of info.

Ed

Sounds like you have an '85 through '87 EA82. If it's running the stock carb then it should be one of those years. All the carbs are pretty close to the same on the EA82's - it's going to be a Hitachi DCZ-328. The kits they sell for these commonly fit all the years and models.

The carb could have been replaced - Weber 32/36 DGV's are the most common swap as there is a commercially available adaptor plate for them. Is the air filter a kindney bean shaped black unit, a small chrome rectangle, or something else entirely?

GD

That's not a stock air filter - we will need pics to identify it. If it's really that small though it's probably the stock carb. Don't think you could get a 3" round filter to fit the Weber.

Swapping to the Weber is pretty simple. You just buy the carb and the adaptor plate and bolt it on. The PCV has to be routed correctly as well. That's all there is to it if you buy the carb new and already jetted. If you buy a used carb then you may have to change jetting.

GD

Thanks guys. The air cleaner is a lil round maybe 3" filter. Going off of this what models could I use to get parts for the motor.

GD beat me to answering the carb swap question lol.

anyhoo models that run the EA82 are basicly all the same (Few cosmetic changes is about it) Heres a listing of all the model names:

GL/DL -1985 to 94 (Veries per country)

Loyale - 1990 to 94 (Same as the 85 and up GL)

RX - 1985 to 90 (The RX is a Coupe or Sedan styling version of the EA82)

Anything 1984 down to I think 76 runs the EA81 (Popular for aircrafts and gyros)

-Tom :)

Edited by TheLoyale

GL/DL -1985 to 94 (Veries per country) :)

1985 - 89 wagons and sedans were EA82, but I believe that the '85 through '89 GL hatches and brats were EA81. Both were 1800 cc's, and none of the parts places seem to be able to look up stuff by the motor as opposed to the car model -- so it's kind of a crap shoot at some places because you tell them it's an EA82, not an EA81, and they have no idea what that means....

Z

but I believe that the '85 through '89 GL hatches and brats were EA81.

'85 to '89 hatchbacks were EA81 *or* EA71 (STD model)

'85 to '87 Brat's were EA81's.

Both came in GL's and DL's, and the hatch also came in the STD model.

The EA81 was introduced in 1981.

Prior to '81 they used the EA71 (1600) and before that they used the EA63 (1400).

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Its connected to a velvet drive clutch. Hooked up to a shaft through the bottom of the hull out back. Mudboats are pretty popular down here. Can go in about 8" of water or so. Does this look like one of those hitatchi carbs? Thanks

Wow as low as 8" of water!

Hmm, looks to be the original hitachi (Deffantly not a Weber) maybe GB will pop by with more info :)

-Tom

That Carb Looks A Li`l bit Confusing... For Example, above the Accelerator Plate there`s a piece that Looks like if it Had a Side Choke instead of the Front one... also it seems like Mounted over some Sort of an Adaptor Plate... Very Un-Hitachi... Hmm...

Could you Post More Pics of it, from the Other Side and Without the Air Filter?

Have you Seen any Name / Number on it?

The Starter Seems to be in the Wrong Place Somehow...

Well and a NASA Rover! a EA82 the runs on propane!

Oh my God! ... :eek: ... Post Links to See That!

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Yeah - that's the original Hitachi. There's several distinct features that give it away. Although it's been hacked up and modified a bit. The arm on the front for the accelerator pump and the seperate throttle base pretty much nail it and the fact that it's bolted to the original EA82 manifold means it's a DCZ as those are the only carbs that natively fit the EA82 manifold. Older Subaru carb use a different flange pattern.

I would sugest you invest in a Weber, and you need to reroute the PCV as it looks to have been done incorrectly.

If you want to rebuild that carb buy a generic rebuild kit for an '85 4WD GL station wagon. That will get you the DCZ-328 carb kit that you need for that thing.

GD

The Lunar rover? That was electric.....

GD

Wow I actually said it was a Hitachi before anyone else and was right! Must be all the knowledge you and others have givin me (Thank you)

Lol I know the Lunar Rover was electric, but I mean NASA should make something with an EA81 or EA82 (Since Niku brough up what else could be done with a Subaru motor) I figure, convert it to Propane (As is doesn't freeze) and make a moon buggy with a Flat-4! Only problem I see is oil freezing.

I dunno lol

-Tom

There is no air on the moon so you would have to carry a ton of compressed air under extreem pressure (a bomb).... not viable because of that.

Besides that, the whole rover weighed like 425 lbs. An EA82 with a propane bottle would weight half that.

Internal combustion engines are limited to earth I'm afraid.

A better power source for a new rover would be an RTG I would think. Expensive though.

Experts say the orignal rover's (still on the moon) could smply be charged and driven even today. An artifact of the moon having no atmosphere to corrode anything.

GD

There is no air on the moon so you would have to carry a ton of compressed air under extreem pressure (a bomb).... not viable because of that.

Besides that, the whole rover weighed like 425 lbs. An EA82 with a propane bottle would weight half that.

Internal combustion engines are limited to earth I'm afraid.

A better power source for a new rover would be an RTG I would think. Expensive though.

Experts say the orignal rover's (still on the moon) could smply be charged and driven even today. An artifact of the moon having no atmosphere to corrode anything.

GD

Yes thats all true aswell Lol..

I dunno it just popped in my head :-p