Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TY752VA1AA transmission - The mystery is gradually clearing up!

It appears as though a number of people (myself included) have been going nuts trying to figure out what the final drive ratio in Subaru transmission part number TY752VA1AA is. My laptop's battery is about to croak so I have to be brief, but here's the progress I've made so far:

It appears to be from a 1990-1991 Canadian-market Legacy with the EJ-22. Final drive ratio is still unknown, and I'm hoping to have that shortly. Possibilities were 3.73, 3.90, or 4.11. It's believed that the specific transmission I have is a 4.11, but that may be dependent on whatever reduction gear it uses.

It's been a bunch of calls to Subaru of Canada, Subaru of Hamilton (Ontario), and Four Star Motorsports to get this info. They've all been extremely helpful in this search, and I want to give them credit where due. I did check the transmission chart on SPDA (great resource), but unfortunately it wasn't listed there.

Hopefully it'll all be cleared up shortly; evidently I'm not the only one playing the 'what the hell is this' game with this gearbox.

is it in the car?

i'm willing to bet it's a 3.9. one of the other fourms had a list of all trans, manual and auto w clutch type , grar ratios and final drive ratio. i lost my book mark when my laptop died. but someone may remember.

my limited understanding leads me to believe the following:

i don't think the 4.11 was available in the manual trans until the 2.5L engine came out, but i don't do 90 - 94 so i can't be sure.

the 3.7 in legacy was generally reserved for FWD cars, the same make and model AWD would have the 3.9.

based on my limited knowledge and open to correction.

try this, put it in 4th gear, turn the input shaft 39 or better 78 times and count the output shaft turns, it should be in the 10 for 39 or 20 for 78 range. you can use a piece of string taped to the shaft as a counting device. if it's in the car just jack up one rear wheel and turn it 10 times. count the number of turns on the rear drive shaft.

was there an ...."A1AA" on the chart? that should be the same model and year car.

is it in the car?

Nope. If it were, this would be dead simple to figure out.

i'm willing to bet it's a 3.9.

Evidence is pointing to the contrary, though nothing is solid yet. More:

one of the other fourms had a list of all trans, manual and auto w clutch type , grar ratios and final drive ratio. i lost my book mark when my laptop died. but someone may remember.

Thanks, but for right now I'm disregarding all online information and going by what people are telling me from printed materials. The problem is that there's been enough (not a lot, but enough) conflicting information on this transmission online that I want a definite answer from an authoritative source - preferably FHI, though there are a couple of others I'd accept. I would be interested in seeing the page in question if it turns up, however.

i don't think the 4.11 was available in the manual trans until the 2.5L engine came out, but i don't do 90 - 94 so i can't be sure.

4.44 was also available, at least in Canada; however, apparently not in the year range I'm looking at with respect to this transmission ('90 & '91). This is straight from the Hamilton, Ontario's parts manager.

the 3.7 in legacy was generally reserved for FWD cars, the same make and model AWD would have the 3.9.

Except in Canada, where AWD could evidently be had with 3.7 gears early on. Taken from the same dealer.

based on my limited knowledge and open to correction.

No worries. Just trying to piece it together.

try this, put it in 4th gear, turn the input shaft 39 or better 78 times and count the output shaft turns, it should be in the 10 for 39 or 20 for 78 range. you can use a piece of string taped to the shaft as a counting device. if it's in the car just jack up one rear wheel and turn it 10 times. count the number of turns on the rear drive shaft.

I no longer have physical access to the transmission. Good idea, though.

was there an ...."A1AA" on the chart? that should be the same model and year car.

The only other vehicle on that chart with a transmission number ending in A1AA was the US-market '99-'01 Impreza. It's already known that that is not the transmission in question.

I am pretty sure it will be a 4.11 like US models. Just do the diff test as mentioned.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/owner/117.jpg

90-91 legacy N/A.

Based on what we dug up this afternoon, this is the expectation.

what they said. finding auto trans final drive ratios is really bizarre, no matter what someone tells you, i don't care if it's subaru!! i'd still want to verify it. just do it yourself or ask a shop to, only have to count.

Just to clarify: this is a manual transmission, not an auto. The plan is to get a definitive book answer on what is apparently in it, then check by hand. This should be a resonable double-blind method of knowing if the listed final drive ratio for that transmission's part number is accurate or not.

Edited by casm

i had a thought.

the trans on the chart with the same ending characters was the TY754VA1AA. this was the first of the 754 series of trans and was used in the 99 or 00 impreza with the ej22.

it stands to reason that the TY752VA1AA was the first in the 752 series of trans. probably as you have already said 90 or 91. did they make the impreza that early?

was there a 89 legacy ??

i had a thought.

the trans on the chart with the same ending characters was the TY754VA1AA. this was the first of the 754 series of trans and was used in the 99 or 00 impreza with the ej22.

it stands to reason that the TY752VA1AA was the first in the 752 series of trans. probably as you have already said 90 or 91. did they make the impreza that early?

was there a 89 legacy ??

Impreza first came out in '93. Earliest Legacies were '90 altho I've seen some at PAP with late '89 manufacture dates.

Nope. If it were, this would be dead simple to figure out.
you can't ask the folks to count the gear ratio? or just wait until later? I guess you're trying to buy this thing sight unseen and want to verify the ratio?

if you're spending all that time on the phone, surfing the web, and diving into this, it seems far simpler to just put a few minutes into counting or having someone else count it. sounds like a lot of effort for one number that's just a matter of counting. this is about as simple as it gets.

Folks, given the amount of questions being asked that have been answered in this thread already, I'm making a polite-but-firm request:

Please read the entire thread before posting.

I understand that people want to help and I truly do appreciate that, but questions that have already been answered continue to be asked. This does not help to move identification forward - nor will it help anyone who may be searching for this information in the future.

A couple of good leads have turned up today; I'll be chasing them down over the weekend / first of the week. Let's see where it goes from there.

You could take it apart and measure the size of the gears.

Not a possibility.

Or try to get in touch with Subarus technical help.

This has been one of the routes taken.

you can't ask the folks to count the gear ratio? or just wait until later? I guess you're trying to buy this thing sight unseen and want to verify the ratio?

Negative - I own the transmission and would like to know what gear ratio is in it. Opening it up to count teeth on the ring & pinion and do the math is not an option. Further, I no longer have physical access to the transmission without some serious effort on my behalf. It's just not going to happen.

if you're spending all that time on the phone, surfing the web, and diving into this, it seems far simpler to just put a few minutes into counting or having someone else count it. sounds like a lot of effort for one number that's just a matter of counting. this is about as simple as it gets.

Believe it or not - my total time investment is only around 30 minutes at this point, a good chunk of that being composing posts here.

Doesn't require "opening it up", just removing the drain plug. Mark one tooth and spin it around via the stub shaft. Takes a few minutes and zero disassembly, that's it.

Further, I no longer have physical access to the transmission without some serious effort on my behalf. It's just not going to happen.
that makes this really simple since a transmission you can't use isn't really worth anything? it just seems you're really worked up over something easier than an oil change, that's all.

30 minutes (or however long invested by the time you're done) is more than the 5 minutes it would take to remove the drain plug and count teeth and put the drain plug back.

Edited by grossgary

Doesn't require "opening it up", just removing the drain plug. Mark one tooth and spin it around via the stub shaft. Takes a few minutes and zero disassembly, that's it.

Understood. The issue was more that I didn't have somewhere that I could do that. The transmission was being kept in my storage unit - which is carpeted. Why they did that I don't know, but I just don't have the facilities to do it without risking angering the storage unit people, who are already a little iffy towards me since lugging parts in and out of that place has already caused some damage to said carpet.

that makes this really simple since a transmission you can't use isn't really worth anything?

Well, it's not worth much to me (I'm looking for a D/R with locking centre diff from an RX, not an AWD 'box), which is why I'm selling it. What I'm trying to do is figure out what I've actually got so that I can give a prospective buyer an accurate description of what it is that I'm selling. The last thing I want is to sell someone a tranny that I think has a 4.11 final drive; they bolt it up and it turns out to be a 3.90 or something else, and all this happens after I've shipped it out to them.

it just seems you're really worked up over something easier than an oil change, that's all.

I'm not worked up over it at all - I'm just trying to piece it all together partly for my own knowledge and partly for anyone else who may be in the same boat.

30 minutes (or however long invested by the time you're done) is more than the 5 minutes it would take to remove the drain plug and count teeth and put the drain plug back.

If I could do it without risking the lease on my storage unit, sure. Not doable, though.

Oh WOW, carpeted storage unit, that's awesome!:lol::lol: Why didn't you say so! Once again I learn there are extenuating circumstances I couldn't imagine that need some flexibility.

Good luck getting those replies and info. Subaru really created a debacle with their final drive ratio ambiguity.

Oh WOW, carpeted storage unit, that's awesome!:lol::lol: Why didn't you say so! Once again I learn there are extenuating circumstances I couldn't imagine that need some flexibility.

Yeah, no kidding on the storage unit. I really wonder which bright spark came up with that idea. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner; I kinda figured that the generic 'no, I can't open it up' would've covered the situation... But yeah, ambiguity eliminated ;)

Good luck getting those replies and info. Subaru really created a debacle with their final drive ratio ambiguity.

It's really not well-documented in a lot of ways. Here's a fun discovery I made in the process of figuring out that it was a Canadian-market transmission: apparently Subaru Canada can search SOA part numbers, but not vice-versa. STUPID. It explains why the dealers I spoke to on this side of the border had no idea as to what it was.

Edited by casm

OK, confirmation has been obtained. The tranny is a 4.11 used in Canadian-model Legacys in 1990 and 1991 only.

Hopefully this helps anyone wondering what it is that they've got. If SOA were able to search Subaru Canada part numbers it would make things a lot easier, but at least we've got solid numbers to go on.

I just noticed you're only a 30 minute drive away from me.

So how did you finally come to the conclusion?

It was a series of blind confirmation from multiple sources with access to Subaru reference materials. Once I had three of them give me the same info without telling them what I had already learned, I called it confirmed and awaited results from my final source before publishing.

FWIW, my sources were Subaru Canada, Subaru of Hamilton, Ontario, and Four Star Motorsports. I also received a fourth confirmation from a member here, whom I shall let remain anonymous unless he chooses to pipe up.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...