Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shouldn't be much at all. Since it didn't extend beyond the area the sticker covers, you don't have to paint whole 1/4 panel. Just take the sticker off, get all the rust out, prime, paint with any paint and re-sticker. I've fixed a bunch like that.

I was told it was a sticker last year when Blu had a bmper skin repainted (warrenty work from a deer hit). I will probably go to the same shop again.

Someone on another list quoted me 700.00 bucks

EEEK!

But it has to get done as I want him around for few more years, and thst really the only rust spot on him.

I have seen this first hand this weekend..its definitely a rust bubble in the normal place for them. Nipper.. I will PM you my body guy and maybe you can email him that pic and get a quote from him?? I told you about him at the cookout.

that small of spot, maybe 125. How are you going to request fix, remove, neutralize, bondo glass, paint? that would be about 125, and I recommend to do that. By the time you have the other side do the same, you can repair it again. Cheaper than new metal.

Depends on if its rusted completely through from inside the fender or just under the surface of the paint. Could be as easy as sand, fill, and repaint. But it might also need to be cut out completely and either fiber glassed or a new piece of sheet metal welded in place. If the metal on the backside of that spot is in tact then it's a pretty simple fix.

My 2001 OBW had the same type of bubbled paint in the same location. I THOUGHT it was just bubbled paint, but when I looked more closely under the fender there were some fairly large rusted spots that basically crumbled to pieces when I began poking around. So on my car the extent of the rust and damage was much worse than that outer surface led me to believe.

I took the cheap route and with the help of my brother, we used 3M Bondo-Glass to fill the holes and then used POR-15 paint to cover that and the remaining surface rust. Some basic gray primer and a can of spray paint from Pep Boys (fairly good color match off the shelf) completed things.

here is the part number for the rear wheel arch sticker

right 91042ac430

left 91042ac440

and here is for the rear quarter

right 91042ac450

left 91042ac460

i did not realize they were mutliple stickers. Thanks. I have not decided if i am going to tackle it or not, as everytime ive done rust repair i have failed at it. But if I have to hurt Blu's paint, then it is going to a shop.

nipper

I could fix the rust for you...but you would still have to get a new decal and possibly have a wee bit repainted

i may take you up on that offer. I looked slosely at it today, and it looks like the paint not under the sticker has to be touched. Also it is not through

Yet.

nipper

that small of spot, maybe 125. How are you going to request fix, remove, neutralize, bondo glass, paint? that would be about 125, and I recommend to do that. By the time you have the other side do the same, you can repair it again. Cheaper than new metal.

Bondo glass?

It has been 20 years since I touched bondo, is this a new thing, or do you mean bondo/fiberglass?

I am referring to the 3M Bondo product that contains short-strand fiberglass. It is actually called, "Bondo-Glass". It sets up very quickly into an amazingly hard substance. My brother balled-up a leftover quantity and let it harden. It is seriously as hard as rock. I almost think the holes we patched up with it will outlast the rest of the car :)

There are many good body shops out there, After they have done their work on Blue . I would recomend that you get some like Rust Check or some undercoating oil or something so it doesn't come back so fast. We use FLUID FILM because it is a Wool Wax formula that solvent free and non toxic ...good for you and Blue and who ever else travells with you..

hey nip, i noticed today the same issue on my 98 OBW. a small bubble on the passengers side, same area.

i'll be tackling this some time soon as well i guess. since it's under the sticker, can't you just treat the rust, prime it and put a sticker on top? it's under the sticker so it's not going to make much difference right?

i'm more terrified of getting the sticker properly placed, i'm pretty sure i could totally hose that rather easily! nipper sounds hauntingly familiar - body work = bad mojo.

if anyone gets the prices for those stickers, do post here, thanks for the part numbers. :)

Edited by grossgary

if anyone gets the prices for those stickers, do post here, thanks for the part numbers. :)

I don't have the part number, but I have bought the stickers and they are $30-40. They are easy to apply. You have to use a spray bottle with soapy water, then you can slide it around into place and get all the bubbles out before the water dries.

Just to play devil's advocate...

I also have a 12 year old Legato and it has rust spots that I have sandblasted with a HF spotblaster, touch with POR, then fill with glazing compound and painted with a rattle can. It will be a continuous process going forward, sort of like greasing zurks in the old days. The one spot you see is only the beginning. I would get used to spackling it together yourself. Instead of spending the money in body shop, you can buy it nicer tires next time.

Next spot will be bottom of the a-piller, at the rocker.

I don't have the part number, but I have bought the stickers and they are $30-40. They are easy to apply. You have to use a spray bottle with soapy water, then you can slide it around into place and get all the bubbles out before the water dries.
awesome, thanks a bunch.

so the process is to peel the sticker, treat the rust, install new sticker? that sounds easy enough. (nightmare coming.....)