Ultimate Subaru Message Board

STP oil filters...

...they any good? Picked up some oil today, and it was 2 bucks cheaper for the 5 quart jugs if I got the filters with the oil that without. Are these decent, or should I toss them in the junk box with the 3 or 4 fram filters I have gotten in similar deals?

STP filters are usually rebadged Fram filters. They use a paper filter element with cardboard retainer caps. I used to use them and had ZERO problems with them. But then I ran across several instances where the filter element had failed and bits of it got pushed through the engine. Not pretty. WIX filters are all that I use.

Then again, I use full synthetic motor oil. I do oil changes every 15,000 with filter changes every 4500 or so. Just change the filter, top up the crank case and keep motoring.

Yes it's true that FRAM used to be one of the best but now their filters are nothing but cardboard box pleats in a soup can.

Sure they cost a bit more, but all I run on all my vehicles is WIX.

I also did quite a bit of research online a while back and ran across this guy that cut apart most every oil filter on the market.

http://knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

If you want the ultimate oil filter, install a Frantz oil filter. I've been using them for over 40 years. Our military even uses similar depth type filters to save on oil changes. Oil analysis proves they work.

As long as you use conklin right? :grin: JK

I've heard about frantz filters but never tried them.

Couldn't ever find'em! :-p

Twitch