Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will my Ea-82T run without the turbo?

yea, it'll run. but it won't have any power (N/A compression EA82s only have like 90. a turbo compression one without the turbo.....yea).

you can relocate it. wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate some exhaust tubing and oil/coolant lines to put it wherever you need it.

How difficult would it be to "flop" the exhaust manifold? Turbo then would be positioned in the area where the alternator is now.

you'd have to cut and re-weld the flanges, as they'd be 90 degrees off...and I don't think the crossover would clear the oil pan.

would be easier to weld up a new system, you could probably re-use the stock header, and just make a new up-pipe that relocates the turbo.

Thank you all for the advice, Sounds like i rushed into buying the wrong engine.

I am going to mount the Turbo back on and then start over on my engine mounts and pullys and try to get this running.

This is a great message board.

Thanks, I am sure I will have more questions.

Scott

Being the compression difference, what kind of HP would it still produce without the turbo? I only need about 70HP.

Tks Scott

I don't think you would hit 70 without the turbo. The non-turbo engines were 84 HP with 9.0:1 compression. I wouldn't be surprised if it were around 60 to 70 without the turbo. It would be a gamble I wouldn't want to take - especially with a used engine.

What you need is an EA81 - 73 HP, no timing belts, lighter and smaller.

GD

I drove a 1986 sedan where the guy installed a JDM turbo shortblock (low compression) to replace his NA motor, using all his NA manifolds, etc. It was unacceptable. Hills were scary slow. Think 1980s diesel rabbit but without the torque :eek:.

+1 the EA81 is the subaru engine of choice for light aircraft/hovercraft projects.

9 years ago a friend of mine took me for a ride in his Subaru powered gyrocopter. It was powered by an EJ engine with a distributor and holly carburetor. The pilot and craft are now somewhere on the bottom of Lake Michigan.

Subaru's are safer on the ground.