Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I know, I know, I should just replace it

Is there a way to tell when the oil pan crush washer is worn out (and before all my nice fresh oil ends up on the driveway :-O ).

I know I *should* go to the parts store and get a fresh washer every time, but I usually realize I need to change oil, grab a new filter from the stack I bought when a local Advance went out of business, and pull quarts from the bulk oil in my shop (I use Castrol GTX 5W-30, nobody panic!). I also know that the washer is like $0.80, or somewhere around there - but I also know that if "get crush washer" goes on the to-do list, "change oil" will take 2-3 extra weeks to come off the same list.

Luke

I also know that the washer is like $0.80, or somewhere around there - but I also know that if "get crush washer" goes on the to-do list, "change oil" will take 2-3 extra weeks to come off the same list.

Luke

so buy them from me now and you'll have them on hand the next time you want to change your oil. 5 for $3.50 or 10 for $6.50, shipped.

try this on for size - i've never replaced one in the 30 or so subarus i've owned and let me tell you i end up replacing a lot of motors...oh wait, i've never had a problem.

actually i've never replaced one and put hundreds of thousands of miles on subaru's with no ill effect.

replacing them is way over rated.

try this on for size - i've never replaced one in the 30 or so subarus i've owned and let me tell you i end up replacing a lot of motors...oh wait, i've never had a problem.

actually i've never replaced one and put hundreds of thousands of miles on subaru's with no ill effect.

gg, this really isn't helping me get rid of these drain plug washers.

I also never replaced mine, I dont even rememeber if it was still on the old drain plug when I replaced it with the Fumoto valve. I did use the washer that came with the Fumoto valve.

I find that the plug needs more and more torque to seal as the washer gets flattened. Eventually, it won't come off without damage to the drain plug. New washers are cheaper than new plugs.

Get a bunch of washers when you get a bunch of filters. I find they last about 2 oil changes before the plug needs too much torque to com eoff easily.

u can ure the same one until the washer looks warn. after a while u can buy the copper ones that will work just as well. you could try the plastic ones with a mesh cover on them too. eather way the ones ive seen come in packs of 4 or 5 and its a good investment to keep your engine from goin to the ************ter.

sorry johneggs...I have to concur with gg...I have had at least 25 subarus since 1979 and I never replaced one....UNTIL....I saw that johnny here had em for 50 cents a pop (oops, price went up)...and I said what the heck...and bought like 25 of them

I'm a believer...halellujah brother!!!!

sorry johneggs...I have to concur with gg...I have had at least 25 subarus since 1979 and I never replaced one....UNTIL....I saw that johnny here had em for 50 cents a pop (oops, price went up)...and I said what the heck...and bought like 25 of them

I'm a believer...halellujah brother!!!!

actually i think it was 30, but what ever.

they are still $.50 each, plus shipping.

Dude, it's a .50 cent part.

i don't know where you buy them, but at advance auto parts they are $1.79.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Oil-Pan-Drain-Plug-Gasket-Motormite_17190165-P_797_R|GRPFILTAMS_160555891___

Edited by johnceggleston

I don't see this as a big deal. I've never replaced one on any car that I've ever owned. But I've never had one that leaked either (even if there were plenty of other seals that did). I guess if it starts to look wet around the drain plug then replace it on the next change.