Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand dunning questions

hardtail_pride

So i am going to be taking a trip to moab ut area to do some running in the sand dunes with the family. Im debating taking the Loyale. Is it even worth the bother of driving it down there or will i be stuck all day? It only has the single range 4wd and open differential. And stock 175 70 13's. Any input? Thanks

Oh and i do have tire chains. Not sure if those would help

So i am going to be taking a trip to moab ut area to do some running in the sand dunes with the family. Im debating taking the Loyale. Is it even worth the bother of driving it down there or will i be stuck all day? It only has the single range 4wd and open differential. And stock 175 70 13's. Any input? Thanks

Oh and i do have tire chains. Not sure if those would help

I could (try to) help pull you out! :grin:

Which dunes you talking about? Shoot, you may know more about these parts than me, I've been here (moab) a little over a year and a half.

Drop me a PM for when you're coming down. I'll probly be around

Edited by superu

I've never done much sand driving, but a friend of mine had an '88 GL wagon he said was gutless in the sand. And it had the dual range. I have done alot of snow driving, and sometimes you get the snow that acts alot like sand -- dense, granular, and no structure, kind of like a big pile of sugar. My GL did okay in that, but lack of low range could be bad if you stop... then you just have to slowly churn your way through.

But... if you've got someone to pull you out, why not. Remember to air down the tires.

I was just in that area with a my 89 GL. 4EAT automatic. it did OK. but I have 205/70/15 tires.

With 175/70/13 you will need to stay light, and stay out of the deeper sand. But you should have the power if she's running well.

Gloyale, I swear you're stalking my posts today ;)

You mean you were in Mobe and didn't give me a haller?

Jeez!

:lol:

Edited by superu

I had an 87 GL10 with the single range 5 spd and 13" tires.

On the beach (I know, but it still sand), as long as your moving you are fine. As soon as you stop, you cannot get rolling again in the powder sand. The engine doesnt have enough power, and the tires dont float enough.

The D/R swap helped a lot, but it still wasnt a cruiser with the skinny 13" tires.

my `87 gl 3 door would do anything i needed it to here in Michigan at the Silver Lake ORV Park. The only problem I had was on "Test Hill" which is the biggest hill out there, and just as many full size pickups couldn't make that hill. I was running the same size tire than you and had no problems. It's just all about tire pressure. I Run 5lbs front and 4lbs in the rear, as long as you don't turn super sharp or drive like an idiot, you won't blow them off the bead. my friend's impreza does even better than my GL. this is a massive sand dune, and on this day, the top was almost vertical for the last 25 feet or so...

I've even taken a `91 Lincoln town car to the same dune area, and it actually did better than the GL, its all about tire pressure...

also note my friends lifted impreza sedan in the back ground shots...

^ +1 about tire pressure

if you get stuck - let 'em down more just enough to hold them on the rims

low range shouldn't matter its about being in the power band but not spinning wheels - dig in

soobs don't have much power anyway so you won't have to worry about that

enjoy!!! sand is the most fun you can have - very hard to do body damage:banana:

If you drive easy with 5 to 10 psi in the tires then it would probably do alright. Biggest issue I think you will have is over heating. EA82's hate sand as it gives them extended hard work.

I've only driven on beaches and sand dunes next to beaches so I dunno if they differ to inland dunes. But I've driven on some soft beaches even my EJ22 5sp Brat with 27x8.5R14 at 10psi had trouble with. Just gotta know when to stop I guess.

Those videos: looks like that sands pretty hard vs what I'm used too.

Edited by Phizinza

So when are you going? I'm wondering if the brat has the gumption to make it to moab... Me and the wife want to get out there for some biking. Maybe we could find some people and get a lil Subaru group out there.

Me and the Fam are going down next Wednesday. They are all big jeeping nuts so Thursday we are doing jeeping off roading, then Thursday sand dunes around white wash or sand hollow area. Then Saturday me and my brother are going to either ride dirt jumps, or some slick rock on our dirt jumping bikes. I'm crossing my fingers the Loyale makes it down. I just finished replacing just about everything you can to make it reliable short of timing belt.

Me and the Fam are going down next Wednesday. They are all big jeeping nuts so Thursday we are doing jeeping off roading, then Thursday sand dunes around white wash or sand hollow area. Then Saturday me and my brother are going to either ride dirt jumps, or some slick rock on our dirt jumping bikes. I'm crossing my fingers the Loyale makes it down. I just finished replacing just about everything you can to make it reliable short of timing belt.

I'd love to join you on mt bikes if that were an option, but I'll be up in the mountains stalking spikes this week. It'd've been cool to meet another USMBer.

Have fun though!! I'll look forward to your Moab report later on..

-mw-

...waiting (impatiently) for trip report :rolleyes:

Personally I'd pass on Subies in sand esp. with no low range.

Sand is just hard on everything.

I've had my Subie on sand--back when it was a hatchback.

It did ok but it's not a sand rail. Sand eats power!

...waiting...

Ok here are some pics for now. I need to collect more. I didn't wheel it too hard for fear of breaking parts, but still got it stuck in sketchy places. I think it would of been a lot more fun with the DR tranny, or the EJ swap so i could power through sections but still worth the trip!

Oh some commentary on the pics-

First- I was dubbed the "chase vehicle" So i was packed with the gas, porta potie bucket (never used) blankets, pick nick food, and my camping gear. I actually slept in the back 2 nights. Not too bad.

Second, this is in the white wash sand dunes. Kind of a horseshoe bend area.

Third, i was feeling confident about my speed, but yes i am buried to the axles and floorboards on this one. The picture doesn't do it justice, it seemed to be on the point of rolling.

Fourth, another pic of the horseshoe area. Jeep pictured is an 80 cj-5 rebuilt by me and my dad years ago. FI 258 6cyl, and converted to T5 5 speed. Oh and my super random sister doing dumb poses.

Fifth, just back at camp. Loading up for the day.

It was overall a great trip! I surpirsed many by what the subaru can do stock and even surpirsed myself because there were no issues mechanically at all. Just a squeaky door. :banana: hope this helps anyone looking to do some sand dune fun in thier subaru. It made a world of difference airing down the tires also. I ran about 18 psi in the front, and 13 in the rears.

Enjoy!

post-24087-136027636478_thumb.jpg

post-24087-136027636486_thumb.jpg

post-24087-136027636493_thumb.jpg

post-24087-1360276365_thumb.jpg

post-24087-136027636508_thumb.jpg