Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What's your wrenching experience?

Okay, a few ground rules for this thread...

Post the following items only. no commenting on the other posts, just keep it to you info.

Type of Wrenching: (Professional, Shadetree, Maintenance).

How long doing it: (years, months, etc....)

Other skills: Anything else you do. (woodworking, welding, electrical, etc...)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree

What: Old school subarus, and a bit of old GM...

How long doing it: 12 years

Other skills: Been takin apart stuff to see ho it works, and/or try to fix it for probably 33 years.... lots of eletrcal tuff... Also used to do a bit of woodworking...

Type of Wrenching: Professional, Shadetree, Maintenance

What: Subarus, and a little bit of everything else

How long doing it: First pro shop was 30 years ago (Goodyear)

Other skills: Carpenter(includes concrete to roofing) for 25yrs, AA in electronics, Some schooling for autobody.

Kind of like Mick's history....been taking stuff apart since I was a kid. Took me a while to figure out how to put it back together and make it work tho. Having kids with toys made me pretty good at fixing broke stuff also.

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, Maintenance

What: Subarus EA81 and EJ22T, EJ22 and EJ25, Honda and GM...

How long doing it: 23 years+

Other skills: Body work, general restoration, car show prep, had a 1964 Chevelle SS when i was 15, won 1st place trophy at the Monticello Camp Courageous show in it when i was 16. Helped restore another 64 chevelle SS, a 58 Chevy BelAir 4drt hdtp, and a 65 Chevy El Camino. (my dad still has the 58 and the 65 el). Someday will help him put together his 1934 Chevrolet pickup truck.

Completely dismantled the outside of a black 79 Monte Carlo in 1989, replaced the rear quarter panel that a tractor plow/disc crumpled to a twisted pile of metal that stuck up in the air about 4 feet more than it was supposed to, and prepped the body including sandblasting and filler for a complete custom blue pearl paint, that a friend sprayed. Also have general carpentry house refurb experience, removal and installation of Grain Bins (think elevator sizes), and concrete slab, pad work including custom diamond patterns in the milk-house pole building style, pole building construction, siding. Welding, mostly arc and stick/gas acetylene, not so much into Mig

Edited by bheinen74

Type of Wrenching - Shadetree Automotive and Motorcycle, Professional Aircraft

What - Ive worked on just about every average joe gasoline engine still made today. From Acuras to VWs, For aircraft i do work for boeing, lockheed, honeywell, airbus, bell, etc...

How long doing it - The airplane stuff only 4 years. Automotive probally 15. Ive been into cars since i was 5. Started collecting them when i was 10. 1st repair job i did was changed my stepdads tire on his red dodge d-50 pickup. Ive never pulled a motor or tranny but ive worked on everything else. All self taut, just learned from my mistakes.

Other skills - I have diped into alittle home repair fixing broken pipes and sinks. Done alittle electrical, furnature repair, computer repair. Kinda a jack of all trades but a master of none.:grin:

What: Old school subarus, MINI Cooper & BMW

How long doing it: 5 years certified tech. last 2 years... City worker, need I say more?

Other skills: Just about anything, jack of all trades. Anything to do with fabbing, repairing or constructing, I can do it.

type: shade tree, recreational, maintainance

how long: 5 or so years. ive always done all the work on my cars, dad was a body man and shade tree himself.dive in and swim

works on: ea81, ea82, inlaws/friends cars. im kinda the family mechanic.

skillz: fixing paint(cut/rub/buff). easy body work. fix/refurb guitars/basses.

By trade: im a sign maker, i just learned to tint windows thru work. i do lots of vinyl work

:headbang::drunk:

I guess since this is a spin-off of my idea... :rolleyes:

Shadetree, possibly profession soon

9 years automotive. Small engine for about 12-13. I got a weed eater to run somehow and my grandfather decided I should rebuild the carb on the lawnmower the next day.

Limited experience in: The big 3, Cadillac (mostly first gen Northstar crap, ever changed an alternator on one of those?), Subaru, BMW, Lincoln, Honda (just did an auto to manual trans swap which I don't wish to do again any time soon)

I have recently (last 2 years or so) started doing small home repairs and modifications. Plumbing, some electrical, drywall. Gonna try to tackle a flooring project in the next few months.

I've been taking things apart since I was a little kid. My mother describes it "I was afraid every day I'd come home and find the refrigerator in pieces". :lol:

I took apart old/dead watches at my fathers jewelry shop, then tried to put them back together. I usually got them all back together.

I have a transmission out of my Ranger that I'm gonna take apart sometime and dig out the 4th gear needle bearing that sounded like a fork in a blender.

I've been into hobby grade RC cars for the past few years so I have a desk covered with small parts currently collecting dust. But I still remember where they all go... mostly. :lol:

Type of Wrenching:Shadetree, Maintenance

What: Mostly Subarus, a little mazda, a little GM

How Long: 4 Years

Other Skills Bicycle Mechanic, been good at ripping stuff apart and putting it

back together for years.

Technically minded and able to study something without having to take it apart, when I do, I can get an even better understanding.

Twitch

Type of Wrenching: shade tree and professional

Cars; Big 3, Honda, Subaru and volkswagen

Airplanes; line maintenance, avionics and test mechanic, big and small.[Cessna to 747] FAA Mechanic license with Airframe and Powerplant ratings.

How long doing it:

Cars; 15 years

Airplanes; 5 years

Other skills: Carpentry, electrical(home[low and high voltage], 12v and aircraft) Car audio/alarms, landscaping, and whatever else I don't want to pay someone else to do for me.

How long doing it: 7 years

Other skills: diploma in mechanical engineering (manufacturing), welding, machinging (manual and CNC - mills, lathes, water jet, laser, EDM, all that good stuff...), CAD/CAM, plastics (vacuum forming, injection molding, blown film, composites, pretty much everything.), operations management, etc etc...

anybody hiring?:rolleyes:

I also weld and fab recreationally... project brat has been around since the beginning...

Type of Wrenching: ProfessionalHow long doing it: 14 years, 7 professionalOther skills: B.S. from DeVry in Telcom Mgmt, some mig welding and light bodywork. Former Subaru Dealer technician fully certified, now starting my own Subaru business called RetroRoo.

Shadetree: Mechanic

I am a believer that carb is still better then injection I have built mustangs cutlass and mulititudes of chevys. my passion is mopar (thats why Im always broke)

I use to be a maintenance mechanic pumps motors and any thing moving pretty much.

Working on a welding certification and helping bulid hot rod classics on the side but still broke.

Interesting i suppose it started helping my Dad and he was a stikler. I suppose when he went off to defend I was sorta supposed to remember things. Eventually i became the loner kid with grease under his fingernails(which wasn't cool) I helped and older fellow replace an automatic under a 318 in the middle of the night before school in the morning.

this will time out again before going thru decades later.

Believe me I been under weird vehicles doing the near impossible with bugs crawling over me and the damn trouble lamp burns freakin out and while working by touch there are other critters which aren't bugs.

Gets to where my passion for more unique vehicles drove me avant and then there were special tools to be made so Then there was Machine tools.

Inexpensive meaning they all needed work too. In order to build the tools to repair the vehicles. To eventually wreck them or have them stolen.

Cool not? learned some stuff.

Since about '82 hot rodding, bicycles, professionally since '92 .

Diesel service technology 2 yr degree.

I work on everything gas , diesel ,LPG, heavy equipment, farm equipment, classic cars, heavy truck, late models, also worked at a couple of steel mills scarfing division, robotics(giant torch ..one of a kind of six in the world).

I fab,weld as well .

I love my field as it's always something different everyday..and new technology...keeps you on your toes...:banana:

Type of Wrenching: Shadetree, maint

What:Soobs and bicycles

How long doing it: 8 years on cars 20 on bikes

Other skills:all phase construction, trim and finish carpentry, fine woodworking and finishing, antique restoration. someday I'll do my first drawn and drafted classic chair design. I've built all my own furniture so far.

Type of Wrenching: Formerly low level professional (contract labor doing easier tasks like brakes, oil), shadetree for many years (done PLENTY of EA82 head gaskets), and lots of maintenance. Now I live in a fancy expensive apartment with a parking garage so most everything is getting taken to Richie now.

How long doing it: about 15 years

Other skills: Light woodworking, simple electrical stuff, handyman type stuff (patching drywall, installing toilet for example)

Type of Wrenching: Maintenance

What: Honda's And Subaru's

How long doing it: 3-4 years

Other skills: Associates Degree in computer programming and also an Associates in computer networking, Network+ certification, lots of wood working, Tons of experience pulling a part printers and fixing them since thats what i do for a living, soldering and electronics(i built a MAME cabinet from scratch), painting, over all some what of a "mr fix it".

Edited by hackasubaru

Type of Wrenching: Professional, I have a small Subaru sales and service business.

How long doing it: 24 years. Subarus 69-present. Was also GM dealer tech for 15 years. ASE master tech

Other skills: Home repairs, plumbing, electric, heating. I'm ok with trim carpentry, but not framing. I do ECU tuning for newer Subies as well.

Edited by subaru360

Type of Wrenching: Maintenance & Shade Tree

What: Mostly old Mopars, recently Subarus, and whatever all of my family and friends drive and bring to me for repairs

How long doing it: 20 years (first solo job was replacing my grandpa's radiator in his '78 Cutlas when I was 11 years old)

Other skills: Degree in Mechnical Engineering, I've done carpentry, plumbing, tile work, electrical work, and frame off restoration (still in progress but nearing completion) of a '56 Chrysler Imperial Coupe making some of my own parts in the process.

Type of Wrenching:Shadetree, Maintenance

What: Some Subarus, VW, Volvo, Ford, GM, Mopar. My family always had a little of everything that I worked on.

How Long: 16 years

Other Skills: Landscape and some heavy eqiupment

Been just taking anything and everything apart since I was a kid to learn how it worked. Mom always got pissed when I would take pens out of her purse and tear them apart. lol

Edited by SubieDaddy80