Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stellaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!

monstaru

welp, it starts again...

here she is..

IMG_5003.jpg

the usual suspects...

the new strut top plates for the rear....

IMG_5008.jpg

rear disc knuckle swap....

IMG_5002.jpg

a stack of axles ...

figure i might need to do some figurin

IMG_5001.jpg

some RX tranny love... this one will take a minute...gotta get her legal first, then gather a small parts list for the swap...

IMG_4999.jpg

some tires i luckily picked up because of price, seeing as how the other tires fell through literally like an hour ago...

IMG_4997.jpg

It's all junkyard parts, so i don't expect to much out of it:rolleyes:but like the last few i have had i will keep up with the boys in it...not worried a bit.

can't wait.....more pics to come..

i had to weld a new bung for the missing O2 sensor today. she should pass smog tomorrow. then i can tear into her.

got some other exhaust pieces today as well...

still gotta get some 15 inch steelies, some driveline it will all come with time....

cheers, b

i recieved a bunch of parts today from a cross state courier. props out to him and the other folks that helpd him get my parts.you know who you are , and it was ************in rad of ya!cheers!

Edited by monstaru

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings. . . I've lifted two imps with struts and tires. Really enjoyed the first one till it rolled. The second I had to return to normal and then actually lower an inch or so. There's just something about how imprezas handle man. They're friggin rally cars and are just so fun to drive. . .

Either way, good score. Gimme a call ya grumpy ol' man, your pms are turned off.

Will you be using an adaptor plate for the fitting of the RX AWD tranny or will you use the EJ front half casings with the RX gearsets fitted to make it bolt directly up to EJ engine? The advantage of the re-casing of the RX internals is that you get to retain the stock EJ clutch setup. I've done this with my L series EJ conversion. Gearbox bolts straight in as factory with the EJ ;) - in the L series anyway (gearbox crossmember will be different in later model subi's for the Rx tranny).

Looks like it will be an interesting build!

Cheers

Bennie

Will you be using an adaptor plate for the fitting of the RX AWD tranny or will you use the EJ front half casings with the RX gearsets fitted to make it bolt directly up to EJ engine? The advantage of the re-casing of the RX internals is that you get to retain the stock EJ clutch setup. I've done this with my L series EJ conversion. Gearbox bolts straight in as factory with the EJ ;) - in the L series anyway (gearbox crossmember will be different in later model subi's for the Rx tranny).

Looks like it will be an interesting build!

Cheers

Bennie

well, if i had the casings i would use the EJ stuff.but i don't , thanks for rubbing it in , some more......:rolleyes::) i am well aware of the benefits of an EJ clutch........;)

however, i am not to worried about the clutch.takes half a day to change of need be.:)

i have a couple of adapter plates sitting down stairs that i have not used for years......so , i might as well put one to use.it is a proven layout and works well with an xt6 clutch setup.

i am going to pick some rims up today.then i can mount the tires and see what strut perch issues i have to deal with.

the rear is figured out, the front could possibly be done the same way.... we shall see today i guess.

its raining , so.........blehhhh........

i'll have some pics by the end of the day at least....

cheers, b

Our EJ trans here are all single range. The case halves won't accept a true RX box (FT4wd and Dual Range). You can do it with single range part time and fulltime L series gears into an EJ case. But for dual range you need a plate. At least here in the states.

well, if i had the casings i would use the EJ stuff.but i don't , thanks for rubbing it in , some more......:rolleyes:

Yeah sorry mate, i didn't mean to rub anything in - just that over here I seem to be one of very few with out an adaptor plate in my EJ'd L series and I don't think that its common knowledge about this modification to make it bolt in "as factory with a twist"...

Our EJ trans here are all single range. The case halves won't accept a true RX box (FT4wd and Dual Range).

I forgot about this issue. I'm just used to dual range gearboxes through out the subaru models - and I'm not intending to rub it in either if you're thinking this!

Can't wait to see some pics of the progress ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah sorry mate, i didn't mean to rub anything in - just that over here I seem to be one of very few with out an adaptor plate in my EJ'd L series and I don't think that its common knowledge about this modification to make it bolt in "as factory with a twist"...

I forgot about this issue. I'm just used to dual range gearboxes through out the subaru models - and I'm not intending to rub it in either if you're thinking this!

Can't wait to see some pics of the progress ;)

Cheers

Bennie

its all good, :grin: thats just a golden goose...the Ej DR

cheers, b

Yeah, my 89 GL has a Single range 4wd gearset in an EJ case. No adapter, EJ clutch. I really like the setup. It's not lifted, but see's lot's of dirt roads and mild trails so the P/T 4wd is great.

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

that one^, or this one?\/

IMG_5033.jpg

i'll show the rest of that shtuff tomorrow....

need some more clearance here and there.....gotta start somewhere

IMG_5026.jpg

wanted to get her breathin better....i know , i know.. i need a better filter :)that'll get fixed.i just happened to have that one layin around.and after a while of figurin and cussin i found a little something that would work...

and it was out of stock pieces , and a little junkyard score love.

IMG_5038.jpg

now,go get your own thread to talk about trannies:).........cheers, B

Sorry bout the tranny hijack.

Nice warm air intake :wink:

that scoop on the hood actually works....:):grin:........

granted , going slower it will leave a skosh to be desired...but , whatever...not trying to go fast here so.....cold air, when at speed, little less cold when slower.(gonna happen anyway)at least thats what i was justifying to myself when i was building it with absolutely no direction in mind, and using all stock pieces....:)

cheers, b

IMG_5040.jpg

some trimming.

i am waitin on some parts, got some other parts, and need a couple more parts......

i think i'll be startin on the motor this weekend.maybe.i might just run the existing longblock into the ground.

it is drinking coolant, and burning oil.seen the coolant dripping from the holes in the exhaust pipes....

she was rode hard, and put away wet.but she ain't done.:)

i have a dual port block downstairs.think i'll throw that under it.

gonna have to drill and tap the EGR port in the head, cause i do not feel like finding another head...we'll see how i feel when i get to it:lol:because i am not looking forward to it now!!

other than that.gonna cut the bumper some more for lighting....just outside the license plate, and inside the indicators.

IMG_5039.jpg

....i will also move the license plate up a bit theres just enough room up there..... anyways.

cheers,

b

Edited by monstaru