Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's that dis'n the Justy?!

The capabilities of a platform like the justy have been proven time and again. Remeber the mini cooper? same layout, similiar weight and power, only the justy has 4wd. There is nothing like the nimbleness of a lightweight short wheelbase car. Mini's and justys have proven themselves in rallys time and time again.

I don't see how you people can make such ridiculous comparisons.

Of course a basically stock justy is not going to win in an open class rallyx

Meeky mooses hatch has a weber carb and 27" tires. It's possible he managed 32mpg, but a neon srt for 200 yards? Maybe 2-20 yards until the neon stopped spinning its tires. Plus, in low range for every 2 shifts the other driver makes, Meeky'd have to make at least 3. Early subaru's are not renowned for their quick and precise shifting.

Gee the justy must suck cause it can't run over cars :rolleyes: why don't you go buy yourself an H2 and stop driving subarus if you think that bigger is better.

heres some ratios for you

So a stock mpfi justy has 70hp and weighs about 1600lbs

Thats 22lbs/hp

A stock rx has 115hp and weighs about 2600lbs

Thats 22.6lbs/hp

Pretty much the same there.

If meeky mooses hatch has an estimated 90hp with the weber, and his hatch weighs 2500lbs

Thats 27.7lbs/hp

Dodge neon srt4 has 215hp and weighs 2900lbs

Thats 13.4lbs/hp

Remember the larger the number here the slower the car will be.

I make no claim that the justy beats this or beats that, but it's not a slowpoke compared to what people on the boad are driving. I also make no claim that my car could beat anything either, except my friend's jeep.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by bushbasher

heres some ratios for you

So a stock mpfi justy has 70hp and weighs about 1600lbs

Thats 22lbs/hp

Hrmm...lemme see here.

Put a 38hp wet shot of nitrous on the Justy (which is about a 50hp jetting on a 4 cylinder). And..and.. a custom intake and exhaust from the header back. Hrmrmmm....with just the nitrous alone, that'll be 14.8lbs/hp. That leaves 1.4lbs/hp left. Perhaps...maybe.....ah...nevermind. :D

All you'd need is a turbo/intercooler setup that will get you about 50hp extra. Heck, not even that much if you lighten the Justy. You'd be on par with a stock Neon SRT-4. :-p

What the hell is the deal with the Neon?

Don't get me wrong, the posts have made me laugh. But big deal. A front wheel drive compact with a turbo.

So what.

Now I do think it is a handsome car. But stop a moment and close your eyes...

Imagine that finest of the fine, the Justy. Simple lines, simpler drivetrain. The unassuming stance that belies it's thunderous 60 odd horses.

It's one thing to talk smack about Chryslers finest, but throw down about the Justy and your showin' your colors!

Let's not let this thread devolve into a tit-for-tat about weak domestic engineering verses a real giant killer in the Justy.

Accept it folks, it's all about the Justy. Anything else is just a compact.

Troy

Hrmm...lemme see here.

Put a 38hp wet shot of nitrous on the Justy (which is about a 50hp jetting on a 4 cylinder). And..and.. a custom intake and exhaust from the header back. Hrmrmmm....with just the nitrous alone, that'll be 14.8lbs/hp. That leaves 1.4lbs/hp left. Perhaps...maybe.....ah...nevermind.

All you'd need is a turbo/intercooler setup that will get you about 50hp extra. Heck, not even that much if you lighten the Justy. You'd be on par with a stock Neon SRT-4.

look in the first couple pages..there is your turbo/intercooler set-up good for about 50 hp adding i'm guess.

i'm estimating...with a conservative tune for the street on 94 Octane i'll make 110-115 hp. My car weighed 1751 stock...but now it has NO sound deadening insulation of anykind, no carpets, no back seat, and a hole pile of redundant crap missing. I'm guessing it's around 1650 ish...I could get it less with Racing seats (have 2.5RS seats now), and go more cammo with stripping (door panels and stuff). I've done the calcs..

i believe my car with it's turbo set-up should smoke my friends legacy turbo (3100 lbs and around 200 hp now). Should stick with a stock WRX, or an SRT-4 for that matter.

and gladly...i'll actually be borrowing a G-tech next week so i can get some idea. but it will be dynoed when i get some cash in the summer.

• 3 months later...

i believe my car with it's turbo set-up should smoke my friends legacy turbo (3100 lbs and around 200 hp now). Should stick with a stock WRX, or an SRT-4 for that matter.

and gladly...i'll actually be borrowing a G-tech next week so i can get some idea. but it will be dynoed when i get some cash in the summer.

Ok...it's summer. What did you G-Tech and how much hp/torque did you get if/when you dyno'd the car?

Ok...it's summer. What did you G-Tech and how much hp/torque did you get if/when you dyno'd the car?

I haven't been to the Dyno Yet.

And have a G-tech sitting here for when i can get a clutch in the car that doesn't slip.

I've also got a Greddy Emanage sitting next to me, which will go in as soon as the computer software arrives.

As it stands...with 8PSI of Boost, and a slipping clutch...It will Pull on my friends Legacy Turbo, which has a JDM EJ20G motor in it and running 13 psi. I've Pulled away from a stock WRX.

I think Justys are great!

I will get one as soon as I get rid of my truck. Probably rebuild the engine and turbocharge it with EA82T turbo.

They are great handling cars and also prolly great on snow and rain.

wow.

i just read all this...is this the "i have no idea what im talking about but feel the need to comment on everything" thread?

its a shame the justy gets such a bad rap here, every subaru guy i know holds a higher regard for them then the EA82 cars, its pretty sad to see all the negative and uneducated comments about them.

justys were great cars...how can you hate something that is built like a tank, gets 35mpg, doesnt rust like the ****box loyales, is a blast to drive, simple to work on and is relatively quick? the 4wd's were also the best subarus for snowy weather as well...maybe all of the experts should own one before being so quick to comment on them?

• 5 months later...

*streaches fingers*

Time to resurrect this thread cuz its so damn funny. I drove a Justy once, and it was great. I also have been doing like 70s in 55 zones only to be fast passed by a Justy, and your in awe when it happens. Some one mentioned R/C cars for power to weight. My car weighs a huge 2520 grams. Yeah, I said huge. Its got a 3.49 cc displacement making 2.5 horse and a top redline of 35,000 Rpms. No, that IS a comma. 0-60 MPH, not scale mph, real ones is right around 2.5 seconds, but mines geared lower. And of course thats assuming I can get traction. I could stoplight race an STI and win, long as it didnt get much over 60, I think the car tops out right around 80. 60-80 mph has to be like 5 minutes.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

the Justy I had was an '88 FWD 5-speed and I could get the tires to roast all day long! I traded some parts for it and then traded it for my '78 Brat which was RWD due to a blown front axle. Granted, they seen a little underpowered BUT they do weight less then an EA81 hatch since I was able to pick the side of the Justy up;)But I'm much happier with my Brat, especially when it had the JDM motor in it.....110hp baby YEAH!!!

My 90 Justy was a delivery car...(newspapers) It could handle being loaded down with 300 Sunday papers and still out run my friends 4 cylinder micro-cars with ease.It survived an incident involving a deer and me doing 65..It was one tough little beast...I wish I knew then what I do now cause I would have kept the little thing. 5spd FWD was told the motor was going at 90,000.....and I believed it:banghead: .

the Justy I had was an '88 FWD 5-speed and I could get the tires to roast all day long! I traded some parts for it and then traded it for my '78 Brat which was RWD due to a blown front axle. Granted, they seen a little underpowered BUT they do weight less then an EA81 hatch since I was able to pick the side of the Justy up;)But I'm much happier with my Brat, especially when it had the JDM motor in it.....110hp baby YEAH!!!

110hp? must be turbo. but you nevermentioned that, so it must have realy had about 80...

• 1 year later...

leage Forester except hwy,New Kid on the block.I'm an old fart, owned 25 odd vehicles over the years and 2 of the 7 I have now are an 88 JUSTY AND A 99 Forester. I really like the 99..decent power, lots of room, right frisky when you push it..but JUSTINE will never leave my possession..willingly. Folks can talk all they wish...a 3-cylinder???Get serious...well...the jokes on them & I dont mean the $5 gal gas coming. My 88 4wd Gl would run all day @ 70+mph, drove it up a mountain 5-6 days a week(Ruidoso NM)..when $30-40K SUV's were in the ditch (ice & snow) or running @ 2 mph I was humming @ 35- 40 with no need to engage 4wd. Steep ICY asphalt..still front wheel drive deep sand @ lake..starts to bog ..push button on shifter pops up on top of sand..it's so damn light you cant stop it..35-40 mpg..underpowered??raced Camaros&"street racers"..off the line is hysterical..bout 1/2 way thru 3rd gear before they catch up..used to race Austin Healy in Sports Car Club in late 60's fun unless Mini Cooper showed up..MC always Fast Time of Day..my Mini is 4wd & corners to make you need clean underwear..been in almost 2 ft of snow to jump big chipper shredder that was dropped off earlier & had a dead battery..it's so dang light 2 ft snow was like 6 in of snow...Justine blew head gasket @ 130,000 smooth as a sewing machine till then..130 miles a day round trip to Ruidoso(ski resort) at any point going up the mountain I could get a ticket & often ran @ 65-70 (early morn..mostly straight road)..having problems with Justines new transplant but as soon as it's ironed out the Forester will be gathering cobwebs (and I really like my Forester)...guess all those folks are right..only 3 cylinders..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Justy feels like much larger car @ hi speed..fwd?? Forester gets horrible gas mileage ex hwy.LOVE EM BOTH

Your going to find this hard to believe, but an '88 FWD justy was my first Subaru :)

It had only 45,000 orginal miles (yes I car-faxed it)I traded a dirt bike and $1000 cash for it, I had a full-size chevy at the time and needed something good on mileage. Mine had that funky computer metered cab, but it got about 37MPG all around with lots of stop-n-go in Olympia, WA. I only got that bad of mileage because it was so FUN to stomp on it ... I also had a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-9 Ninja at the time, so I knew what power was too. I have to say the car was incredible! I had in the past briefly owned a Suzuki Swift, and the justy was definately more stable and just as pepy. If your really into a good MPG car, I don't think you can beat a Justy ... they are NOT geos ... they do NOT get bogged down on hills ... go drive one, then tell us what you think then.

The only reason I don't have the justy now is because I took a vow of poverty (read moved to Hamilton Montana :-p ) and I needed cash to buy the primo brat I own now ... too bad I sold the ZX-9 in the winter for guns, I could have waited till the spring and got twice what I let it go for ... oh well, I did get some really nice rifles/glass :drunk:

If I see a good deal on annother justy and have the money in the future I will definatly buy one ... oh and yes the brat (yes even stock with 13's) was always a dog in comaparason to the Justy's accelaration :headbang:

I was shocked and excited to see this thread making the rounds again..

So much has changed for me since I started this thread all those years ago. Funny thing is I still have Leroy.

In fact I am still working on the justy. As embarassing as that is to say. I took almost 2 years off due to work. Now I am back in town and have picked up a few new tools and a lot more time to build the car. I have been spending weekends on it for the past month. Right now I am re-working the rear suspension. I am modifying the trailing arm design from the donor RX to give more travel, at least as much as the front suspension, about 11 to 14 inches. Pain in the Arse.

But now Leroy is only a Justy in spirit. A subaru powered stock-car in Justy clothing. Still, it is a justy. Better than a Brat. anyone can drive a Brat. It takes a real man to drive a Justy.

let the bashing begin...

:D heeheehee

Admit it. If you drive a Brat, it's just because you couldn't find a Justy...

Come on, you know I'm right.

OK, let me throw in my 2 cents about the justy ok.... you cant make any judgements on a justy's performance till you've rallied one. When I had my 94 ' EFI justy runnin.. That thing ran like its @$$ was on fire!!! for the record my stock EFI 73 HP justy has done 100mph... Man I beat the ever loving crap out of that car. Every day I drove it Id hit 7500 at least once or twice, thats even with the horrible rod knock it had cause the lower end was going out. We cant say the justy is the best car subaru ever made, but you cant say it was a mistake on subaru's part either. Right now I am building a new motor for it. I sent out the camshaft to Delta to get the high performance one, and sittin right next to my motor is a Toyota SC12 electric-clutch supercharger. When I find a way to stuff that big thing under the hood I'll get some 1/4 mile times for y'all..

-Mike

I was shocked and excited to see this thread making the rounds again..

So much has changed for me since I started this thread all those years ago. Funny thing is I still have Leroy.

In fact I am still working on the justy. As embarassing as that is to say. I took almost 2 years off due to work. Now I am back in town and have picked up a few new tools and a lot more time to build the car. I have been spending weekends on it for the past month. Right now I am re-working the rear suspension. I am modifying the trailing arm design from the donor RX to give more travel, at least as much as the front suspension, about 11 to 14 inches. Pain in the Arse.

But now Leroy is only a Justy in spirit. A subaru powered stock-car in Justy clothing. Still, it is a justy. Better than a Brat. anyone can drive a Brat. It takes a real man to drive a Justy.

let the bashing begin...

:D heeheehee

Admit it. If you drive a Brat, it's just because you couldn't find a Justy...

Come on, you know I'm right.

PICS!! I wana see ole' Leroy :brow: looks like the site you had him on isn't up anymore ... maybe you can post some here?

Also ... I just realized, the FIRST lifted Sube I saw in person (possibly the first ever seen at all) was a Justy! There is this really eccentric self-taught car genious (read mad scientist :D ) mechanic in Stevensville near where I live ... I passed his shop and had to turn around and ask him about HIS justy with the 15" wheels and mud tires in the front ... I was still driving my Justy at the time. He was kinda scary the way he had some of it put together, but it was pretty amazing what it looked capible to do ... he was so glad to have someone appriciate his work that he even let me take it for a spin in the vacant lot next door LOL!! Last time he was working on it he was going to fill all the body pannels and such so that it could float accross a lake ... now THAT is a pic I would love to see!! :cool: He's from the old school "seat of the pants" kinda mechanic, and he has done alot of trial and error but he has come up with some neat stuff ... I need to go by there with my brat ... he was going to show me some way to tune the timming to get more power ... hmmmm :burnout:

To me a Justy seems like a quentessensial subaru. Because it is an underdog. When I bought my wagon in 96 and started asking around about lift kits and ways to increase hp, I got a lot of responses like "its a unibody with torsion bars; you can't lift it" or, "anything that you do to the engine, the computer will eliminate". Obviously these ideas are nonsense, but you would be surprised how many people said that kind of thing. But, there are a lot more nay sayers than fans of Subaru offroad capability in the world outside of USMB. This board has done a lot to change that. So I predict that we will see some really intersting things being done with the Justy as time goes on. Just as we have with the other subes.

I`m enjoying the 36mpg average that my 88 AWD Justy is delivering right now. No problem cruising at 75mph on the highway trips home from work. Only had 1 good snowfall 8" since I ressurected it from the boneyard and it ate the white stuff like candy. For the downturn shots that some have thrown, you might have reasons, but obviously not the fun & enjoyment. RONAN

The best car I've ever driven in the white stuff was an '88 carbed Justy. I'll be getting my '94 back on the road tomorrow--can't wait! (No, really, I CAN'T wait--my Volkswagen overheated tonight...)

I average around 35mpg in the '94, mixed driving, love the 4WD, just need an alignment and a new heat shield sometime in the next couple of months and she'll be good to go for another 120K.

I was messing around in my Brat yesterday, going thru water upto the door seals. It wasn't running quite right cos water in the disty, cleaned it out and still running rough. Found out why a bit after two runs thru the water. Only running on three, lead off number 1 cyl. lol. 3cyl engines go hard enough! :D GO the 4x4 Justy!!! I wish I had one.