Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tundrabrat Build

tundrabrat

CampingBrat.jpg

Figured I'd post a picture from this weekend, camping on the beach in Hope Ak... Car comes off the road in a couple of weeks for complete rebuild over the winter.

Plans are: Fresh EA81, body and paint, lift (still deciding between 2-4") wheels, tires and a few custom items to make it a great go anywhere camper for AK.

The original engine is on a stand and work will start next week on tear down.

More pics to come as things begin to happen.

HAHAHA... pretty Damn Close... I even have a basket to go on the top and was planning on painting the Brat and the topper the same factory blue it is now!

What size lift, wheels and tires are those? That looks a little higher then what I was thinking.

But that thing is pretty awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got started on the body this weekend.

Just grinding and exploring now more pics with rust issues to come.

I'm happy to say that for a 26 year old Brat the wheel wells have very minor rust through as do the rockers... the car sitting for 5-6 years in a dry garage before I got is definitely a plus.

Underbody looks very good as does front... I will be needing to address a few dents on the front apron, tail gate, fenders and passenger door.

This should start seeing updates at least weekly... I want this thing ready for paint by late March!

2011-12-11171317.jpg

2011-12-18095126.jpg

2011-12-11171306.jpg

Edited by tundrabrat

that is one clean brat! i almost bought one a few months back but the bed was almost gone and it had a very disturbing noise coming from the motor. a noise ive never heard any car make ever before.so i passed on it. its rare to see an ea81 thats not completly rusted out up here.. im glad my gl-10 came from utah.. wayy less rust. lol

Edited by AKghandi

This weekend I was going to pull out my front apron but found out very quickly this was easier said then done. After taking out the radiator I have decided that this will be one of the last things AFTER I pull the motor. That way I can have accesse to the openings through the frame... yes frame is fine.

I moved onto fixing my front left fender... and buying some additonal body tools (good excuse to by tools)

On a side note... I found a set of steel pug wheels locally so the 4" lift is on! Thanks 86gl-10trbosdn!

2011-12-26121441.jpg

2011-12-261214341.jpg

2011-12-24101657.jpg

Doors and rockers are next on the agenda and heads and cam will be going off to be reworked soon as well.

Finished tearing down the engine... ready to send out the heads and cam. No pics because nothing interesting... though I now see the difference between hydro lifters and mechanical ones.

I worked on the tailgate today... no rust but had a couple of dents I had to work out. Needs a little more work but so far so good... unfortunately I had to sacrifice the original painted pinstripes:(

tailgate3.jpg

tailgate1.jpg

tailgate2.jpg

Edited by tundrabrat

Been putting this off... but time to deal with it.

th_Head2.jpg

th_Head1.jpg

I have a guy locally to "EXTRACT" the broken studs from these heads... These are the original "big valve" heads off of the original engine, studs were broken when I got it.

Edited by tundrabrat

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up some 18gauge and began prepping...

2012-01-15183543.jpg

Then I made my first cut... And saw I had a little more work than expected.

2012-01-15183514.jpg

2012-01-15183507.jpg

view through the tail light opening...

2012-01-15183439.jpg

2012-01-15212947.jpg

2 lessons to take away... Rhino lining holds up well even when the metal isn't really there and I'm really glad I chose to keep it dry this winter.

I'm going to start prepping the area and hopefully be ready to start replacing panels next weekend.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks,

I has a 4 inch lift with 215/75/15 hankook's on I think Eagle wheels with the 6 lug conversion.

And it is still my daily driver at about 80 miles a day.

May I ask what components it took to do the 6 lug swap? I'm doing a 5 lug swap in my 86 Brat and I've had to use XT6 parts, Legacy parts and Brat parts, as well as some custom parts. I can't recall a Subaru that has a 6 lug hub so I'm curious.rolleyes.gif

Sorry it's been a while, been working on small stuff, collecting parts and building an engine for my nephew so my pace is off a bit.

I'm slow with body work and am being pretty anal with the rust which adds to the time.

I ended up cutting out more metal to be safe so my time frame for completion is now Summer vs Spring

2012-02-11144724.jpg

2012-02-11144817.jpg

2012-02-11144952.jpg

• 1 month later...

ZOMBIFIED ..

Had to bring it back from the dead. Lol

Any updates?

Sorry I haven't come and given you a hand been kinda preoccupied latly

If your working on it this weekend I may have to come over.. I'll bring my hatchie so your brat looks even better lol