Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I fix this?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 The FNG

The FNG

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Goldendale, WA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Posted Image

(Driver's headlight)

#2 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Posted Image

(Driver's headlight)

Stupid ? New bulb of course? Corroded plug? Wire? Bad ground? Mark light not on either.. Battery acid likes wires in the plastic cover:brow: It can hide and have fun!!

Edited by 88wacaroo, 01 December 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#3 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Need new bulb! Haha. ^^^^

#4 jj421

jj421

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • Carnation, WA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:01 AM

Mark light not on either..

I'd say this is a good point. Unless you know that that light is burnt out on that side, that should signal (to me anyways) that a new bulb probably won't be the solution. I would try putting a new bulb in there anyways, but I don't think that is it. I'd say something is up with the wiring that's affecting the side marker and the headlight. Unplug the headlight, stick a multimeter in the plug, and measure the volts when the headlight switch is turned on. Wouldn't hurt to measure the resistance either. I don't know what those values should be, but that would be a good place to start.

*EDIT* Actually, do the multimeter test on the passenger headlight too, to see what the values should be. Obviously the passenger side is working fine. If you get different volts and ohms between the two sides, then something is up with the wiring.

Edited by jj421, 01 December 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#5 88wacaroo

88wacaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Denver,Co.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

Posted Image

(Driver's headlight)

SMASHED:horse: WIRE?

#6 ferp420

ferp420

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • el granada ca usa

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I've had 3 subs like that I replaced the plug with a junkyard plug its its just a bad connection or corrosion from the battery somewhere also my vw bus doses the same thing but its a tail light right next to the battery but never bothered to fix it

Edited by ferp420, 01 December 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#7 l75eya

l75eya

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • Hoboken, NJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Swap the bulb to the other headlight and see if it's good. It most likely is fine. That's a real bad ground.

#8 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

headlight relay. theres two of em in a group of four above the fuseblock under the dash. run a google search. hth

#9 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,510 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

headlight relay. theres two of em in a group of four above the fuseblock under the dash. run a google search. hth

Yes, that's what I thought.

I Kindly suggest you to do a Click on my Avatar and scroll down, you'll reach the Link to my "Relays Swap" Writeup, (How to Swap Original roundie Relays with Bosch Standards) is plenty of Photos.

Kind Regards.

#10 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

thanks jezsek, i was going to suggest he look you up, thats where i found out how to fix mine when it did that

#11 The FNG

The FNG

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Goldendale, WA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I've had 3 subs like that I replaced the plug with a junkyard plug its its just a bad connection or corrosion from the battery somewhere also my vw bus doses the same thing but its a tail light right next to the battery but never bothered to fix it

Just wanted to update the thread. I found that if I wiggled the connector with the lights on, the headlight dimmed intermittently. I unplugged the light, cleaned the connections, and plugged it back in. As of now seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the input.

#12 RXJ

RXJ

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Stamford

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

wiggling regains rightful status as a bonfide trouble shooting technique

#13 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,339 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Faulty headlight connectors are a common problem. Some get so bad that the connector has to be replaced. Replacements are available that can be spliced into the old wires.

#14 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,402 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

yes, available for free at your local pap, thats where i got mine. unfortunately for me, my problem was the relay. when i replaced the wiring tho , i left it long so i can put the headlight above the grill for whatever reason. might be useful for something (like checking lights by yourself when a wall isnt available)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users