Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! EJ22 SOHC dual port exhaust egr tapping?

Ok heres what i have a 93 EJ22 with dual port heads going in a 97 legacy wagon. Yes i have the wire harness/intake to make it OB2, BUT i need a egr port in the 93 heads is this possible? Or is this tapping for egr just for JDM heads?

I started drilling with a 5/16 bit in drivers side exactly were a 96 EJ22 with single port exhaust has the egr tube, and i found a water jacket before i found exhaust port?:banghead:

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and happy holidays

I've heard of folks hitting the water jacket as well trying to drill those out.

Just tap into the exhaust pipe and plumb it up to the intake. It's actually really simple just a matter of figuring out what kind of pipe fitting and pipe you can learn how to work with really quick. Just run a pipe and attach it. It's not structural or high pressure so as long as you get it to seal you're golden.

It's possible the 93 heads were not cast for EGR ports. Subaru didnt use EGR in the EJ engines until 95. You could either swap heads, or do like Gary said, tap off the exhaust header.

The flexible copper tube you can get at any hardware store should work, and will be easy to flare. I bought some at Lowes a few weeks ago 5 foot roll for about $5.

Yea i was looking at that but didnt want to do that route cause my luck is horrible. Wouldnt it leak though, with the expansion of the aluminum and whatever pipe i use being different causing it to leak water? I guess i dont have a ej22 single port head with egr off at the moment to see if its casted in or they used a connecting pipe? Something ill look into. My plan was to start with a 5/16 bit go through to exhaust then go to 9/16 bit and tap with a M16x1.5 tap. :banghead:

They didn't mess the combustion chamber at all? Reason i ask being the bore size differing from EJ18 bore 87.9 to the EJ22 bore of 96.9? I guess i dont have or haven't seen cc info them. Port size all the same does anyone know from EJ18 to EJ22 dual ports?

They didn't mess the combustion chamber at all? Reason i ask being the bore size differing from EJ18 bore 87.9 to the EJ22 bore of 96.9? I guess i dont have or haven't seen cc info them. Port size all the same does anyone know from EJ18 to EJ22 dual ports?

Same heads

different cam/rockers

Wow...coincidental....hope this isn't a thread hijack.

Car: 1996 Impreza LX Automatic w/EJ22 (ran low on oil) and EGR

Replacement Engine: '97 EJ22 non-EGR

I drilled and tapped the EGR port on the head, got it installed, started it up and have a water leak from the head's EGR port, along w/a huge cloud of white smoke out of the tail pipe.

Pretty sure that's a bad sign.

Based on this thread and what others are telling me, I hit a 'water jacket/coolant passage' w/the EGR tap??

I used this THREAD on legacyGT and tapped the same hole as shown - but this is for a EJ25D head. I'm positive I used the same port on my EJ22 head, but apparently there are some internal differences??

ejh65s.jpg

I'm not clear on how I could patch the hole as it's getting into the exhaust, too? I'm thinking it's FUBAR'd. :-(

Td

EJ22 info from Endwrench

post-6577-136027661768_thumb.jpg

Edited by wtdash

Hi,

Please provide a pic of this setup...I'm not 'getting it'.:confused:

Thanks,

Td

Unfortunately I just sold the car, and never took a picture of it. But you know the EGR valve on the intake manifold. I just ran a bit of hose from the inlet of that to the intake boot. I made a T off one of the crankcase breather hoses that goes into the intake. Pretty simple.

I took the metal EGR pipe, sawed it off, and brazed a barb fitting onto it so that I could put regular vacuum hose on it.

EJ18 uses same heads with EGR port on driverside.

use the EJ22 cam and rockers.

Can I pull the head off the original '96 EJ22 and just swap cams, etc from the '97 into the '96 head? I know '97 is when Subaru switched to the solid valve adjusters, per wikipedia, and I'd like to run the better performing heads.

Thanks

EDIT: found this POST, that says I can.

Per GD:

Yes - set the intake to .008" and the exhaust to .010". It's a direct swap - the cam doesn't matter.

Make sure the oil pump is not actually your problem - HLA's on these rarely fail (I've never seen it).

Edited by wtdash

Unfortunately I just sold the car, and never took a picture of it. But you know the EGR valve on the intake manifold. I just ran a bit of hose from the inlet of that to the intake boot. I made a T off one of the crankcase breather hoses that goes into the intake. Pretty simple.

I took the metal EGR pipe, sawed it off, and brazed a barb fitting onto it so that I could put regular vacuum hose on it.

Ok...but I thought the EGR would be hot exhaust gas. Doesn't the exhaust flow FROM the head INTO the IM's EGR valve?

I can't see a regular vacuum hose holding up to that, nor do I get how the EGR valve would still work...not temp related?

I'm not arguing...just more confused than anything.

Thanks for the info.

Ok...but I thought the EGR would be hot exhaust gas. Doesn't the exhaust flow FROM the head INTO the IM's EGR valve?

I can't see a regular vacuum hose holding up to that, nor do I get how the EGR valve would still work...not temp related?

Thanks for the info.

Well there's vacuum in the intake manifold, so it sucks the exhaust in, the exhaust isn't forced in. And with this setup, it's not sucking hot exhaust. It's sucking air from the intake tubing. There's no sensor that tells the computer if the EGR is working or not, no temp sensor or anything. I honestly have no idea how the computer knows when it's not working right. Maybe because if it's not sucking anything in, it runs a bit rich? dunno. But I do know that running intake air to the egr valve on the IM made it not throw a code when I put a non-egr engine in the car.

But I do know that running intake air to the egr valve on the IM made it not throw a code when I put a non-egr engine in the car.

Well, that's what matters to me...no CEL. Too bad I didn't see this option 3 days ago. ....dang my timing's been bad lately!

Thanks again for the reply,

TD

Thanks for the info.

No hole in head for exhaust to come through.

Open pipe that would be suck in exhaust, instead get's routed to suck from intake when it opens.

I did this same swap on my 98. I routed the hose from the EGR valve into the intake manifold after the MAF. In tens of thousands of miles it never threw a CEL for anything.

Brillant! Never would have thought of that! Thanks appreciate the help!

I did this same swap on my 98. I routed the hose from the EGR valve into the intake manifold after the MAF. In tens of thousands of miles it never threw a CEL for anything.

this is great. we need lots more testing on it.

hopefully it isn't just this one engine that it works for.

Edited by johnceggleston

I've drilled and tapped quite a few of these.

First you drill through to the exhaust port with a 1/4" bit.

Then you measure the depth of an existing port (another head or a manifold port) and mark this depth on a 9/16" bit (IIRC) and drill to that depth. This is the critical operation that must be done to the right depth to avoid the water jacket.

Then you tap the hole with an M16 x 1.5 tap.

It's not that hard to do if you take your time. One of my engine suppliers will do it prior to shipping if you need EGR on one of their JDM engines.

GD

^Thanks GD...that's the technical stuff we need to know.

I think these pics may back that up, too.

Pic of the UNtapped EGR boss on a '96 EJ22 - I'm guessing to not go past that 1st 'hump' visible in the hole:

Ej22%2520EGR%2520boss%2520port.jpg

And here is mine that leaked - visible that I drilled it too far:

Ej22%2520EGR%2520boss%2520port2.jpg

For reference:

Ej22%2520EGR%2520boss%2520port-tap2.jpg

And from the exhaust looking into the head - see the hole:

Ej22%2520EGR%2520boss%2520port-exhaust.jpg