Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The mystery of the green switch.....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 that one kid

that one kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Hood River, Oregon

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Okay so in fairness its probably not a great mystery but i can't figure out what it is so. I own a second gen 1986 brat and it has a green switch to the right of the steering wheel on the dash and i have no idea what it does.

Attached Files

#2 skishop69

skishop69

If it ain't broke, you're not trying.

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

It's not factory. Trace the wires and see where they go....

#3 SnatchedHatch

SnatchedHatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Munster, IN USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Niice, so this confirms what the circle in place of that switch is in my car.

It's cool that Subaru built-in places for aftermarket switches.

I have the same square block plastic piece with what looks like a circle ready to be punched out (3 or four tabs).

#4 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

Flip the switch and look for smoke................

#5 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

I placed my driving lamp rocker switch in that same location.  Do you have aftermarket fogs or driving lamps presently, or the Brat had them in the past?

#6 Rust

Rust

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 780 posts
  • The Sticks

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

It's the passenger seat ejector switch. 

#7 the sucker king

the sucker king

great fisherman

• Members
  • 1,927 posts
  • Lyons, Colorado

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

"It's cool that Subaru built-in places for aftermarket switches."

I think these spots were actually for a couple factory options such as the cyclops light and cruise control. but can be used for anything. The switch in the pic is definately not stock. I would look to see if somebody added a fan or foglights, but really it could be anything that broke at one time and was rigged up. Maybe enen corrected later and is just a ghost switch that is better looking than a hole.

Like somebody else said, trace the wires if it doesn't do anything when you flip it.

#8 SnatchedHatch

SnatchedHatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Munster, IN USA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

I know what you can use it for, intimidation ;)

Next time you're on a run with someone new to your ride, tell them to buckle up and HANG ON!

*Flip*  ...   *click*   *Flip*  *click**flip**click*

Uhh, the supercharger might need adjustment..

#9 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Evident with the shiny phillips head above the switch that others have been in there.  Aftermarket switch of course.  Possibly dab screw with black flat paint on the end of a Q-tip, or get original screw next trip to wrecking yard.  Nice looking color on trim...  sorry, off topic but love that dark blue.  (reminds me of my Hatch)  Checked you brat picture out.  Very nice... take care of that one.  

Edited by Indrid cold, 28 January 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#10 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

Prolly the flux capacitor switch, pretty common on thouse older rigs.

Haha

#11 capn_r

capn_r

Pseudo Soob Noob

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • Morton WA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

I'm guessing it's for the hydrosilator, they were sometimes bundled with the chrome muffler bearing / synthetic blinker fluid option. 

#12 apintonut

apintonut

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • ravensdale wa

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

When i wad younger i had a switch in my car that didnt "seem" to go nowhere but it interrupted the signal to the gas gauge. All my friend swear that car got the worse gas mileage EVER!! If i had a car full of drunks! I ended up with a full tank and 50-200$

I think you switch is supposed to go to one of these but you can get a new one here
http://m.oreillyauto...ap?keyword=121g

#13 SnatchedHatch

SnatchedHatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Munster, IN USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

I personally prefer the organic matter model, apintonut.

You know, I noticed that out of the 3 slotted holes on my hatch, one had a metal plug with a slightly concave black rubber cap. It slightly moves in when you press it, but that's probably just the rubber.

-I wonder what it was for myself, I'm going to investigate.

Anyone know where this leads? Through the side of the car or through the firewall? Any panels to remove to see it, or veiwable in the engine bay?

I only ask so I have heads up when I go take a look.

Thanks!

#14 that one kid

that one kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Hood River, Oregon

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Sorry i haven't responded I've been really busy recently thanks for all the posts.  Im pretty sure its something like what "capn_r" suggested as it has a fluid, maybe electric sound when its flipped. i Don't have any fog lights or after markets on the car... I don't think its the flux capacitor as that was removed by the previous owner along with the ejector seat (for some reason the T top wasn't big enough to eject through). Ill keep you guys informed when i have time to trace the wire.

#15 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,144 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I could take a look at it if you don't find out next time I head up to hood river. It could be the fuel pump, fans, sigoret lighter, radio, fog/offroad/driving lights, and some other stuff. Only way to figure it out is to turn it on and look for something that's on or find where the wiring is hooked up to.

#16 kirzick

kirzick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • olympia washington

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Do you keep it on or off when your driving? i have a switch for my fuel pump in the same place.

#17 that one kid

that one kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Hood River, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:37 AM

i usually keep the switch off while driving since I'm not really sure what it does yet, it could be be for headlights now that i think about it since i haven't actually looked at the front to see if  it does anything when parked. and thanks "turbosubarubrat" that would be awesome haven't been able to do much with the poor brat this snow is a huge bummer. I just moved out of a ski resort in california to escape the terrible winters and now my old home has no virtually no snow and hood river is buried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users