Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to remove a stubborn O2 sensor

O2 Oxygen Sensor EA82

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 __CJ__

__CJ__

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I have been chasing the cause of extreme surging with this car. It was a bad O2 sensor. So as a quick heads up, most people will tell you its not possible for that to be the cause, but trust me it was. With the new O2 sensor it was running much better (solved the extreme surging) but with some slight hesitation and almost a miss. Later in the day I am pretty sure I found the source of the hesitation/miss... Timing belt that decided to break on my way to show off the car to a buddy. Hopefully the new timing belt will take care of the last remaining problems. 

But let me digress, I had a fun time changing the O2 sensor on the newly purchased 1993 Subaru Loyale.

After many trips to the store to grab different tools and things I ended up getting the O2 sensor out. 

At first I spent some time attempting to use a harbor freight O2 sensor removal tool but just managed to figure out that its a bit tight to make that tool work and once you have figured out a way to make it work... its a 22mm O2 sensor and not a 7/8 like the harbor freight tool.

Ok run to the local autozone and rent there O2 tool kit (25.99). Throw on the 22mm O2 sensor tool and manage to fight the sensor for another 30+ minutes before saying screw it and removing the whole y-pipe. 

Once the y-pipe was out I managed to finish rounding off most the existing O2 sensor and was ready to take to my friends metal shop to just drill it out. 

Then I had one last idea, remove the heat shield and see if I could fit a box end on the O2 sensor that way. 

Magically it worked. I could fit a 22mm box wrench on the O2 sensor and with some help of a rubber mallet I was able to break free the O2 sensor from the exhaust. It was a bitch but I am pretty sure this was the only way I would have been able to remove the O2 sensor and also the most simple fool proof way to do it. 

tl;dr Remove the y-pipe. Once thats free remove the heat shield around the cat. Use a 22mm wrench and a rubber mallet to beat the O2 sensor out of the cat. 

Tools Needed: 12mm, 14mm, 22mm, rubber mallet, PB blaster (or something of the sort), rags. 

Hope my pain is another mans gain.

#2 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

You can put some nickel anti-seize on the threads so its not a problem in the future, too.

#3 __CJ__

__CJ__

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

You can put some nickel anti-seize on the threads so its not a problem in the future, too.

I was lucky enough that the Bosch replacement had some on it from the factory :)

#4 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

use a crowsfoot. thatll get it broke loose when a 02  sensor socket wont.  I kinda  wish Id bought a set ofthem  instead of the "special" socket i purchased

#5 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I just chopped enough of it off with a grinder, in order to get the socket on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users