Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 engine failure

Do yourself a favor and look into a newer Legacy, etc. Parts for that engine are becoming a problem - such as you can no longer buy oil pumps for them, etc. 

Not that it can't be fixed but you'll spend a lot of time and money tracking down obsolete parts. Might as well go get a cheap Legacy and be able to get parts for it.

GD

Fel Pro head set and conversion kit. Except dealer oem intake manifold gaskets and cam tower o rings.

Timing belts and all 3 idlers. Avoid cheapie kits. I rebuild the idlers, so I have no info on a good kit.

• Like 1

Head gasket set Part Number HS9392PT2 for fel-pro. Can be purchased online. You will also need front and rear crank seals, oil pump gasket set and oil pan gasket. I would recommend shopping on RockAuto.com. In the vendor section of this forum there is a code posted for a 5% discount on any purchases made there.

Do yourself a favor and look into a newer Legacy, etc. Parts for that engine are becoming a problem - such as you can no longer buy oil pumps for them, etc.

Not that it can't be fixed but you'll spend a lot of time and money tracking down obsolete parts. Might as well go get a cheap Legacy and be able to get parts for it.

GD

So with the parts becoming obsolete,are there ways of rebuilding them? Like the oil pump for example

Edited by stock93loyale
  • Like 1

I've never had to replace or rebuild an oil pump, just replace the seals. With proper maintainance, it should be ok.

Yes, parts are going to be harder to find. I am expecting that. I have a lot of spare parts to keep my ea82s going for a long time. How practical it is to run 30 year old cars depends on your situation. Do you have space to store spare engines, driveline parts, etc.?

There isn't a practical way to rebuild them, no. They are aluminum and once scored up inside it would take a lot of engineering to get one back in spec. One of the design choices I dislike about Subaru engines in general is there use of aluminum georotor pumps. Gear pumps are more robust IMO. The Mitsubishi 4G63 oil pumps for example are excellent and rarely fail. You don't hear about chevy small block or LS oil pump failures either. Those are even better still being submerged and not requiring any priming.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

the timing belt kits are everywhere on ebay. 

i would only do the gaskets that need replaced - don't replace headgaskets if they're not leaking. 

they usually like like gutters from the valve covers - just reseal the valve cover gaskets, which is 50x easier than a head gasket job. 

• 3 weeks later...

Buy a felpro permatorque head gasket set. No retorque needed. Oil pump seals, factory subaru cam tower o ring and intake manifold gaskets. These engins are cake work. I never have messed with one and got the whole engine out in less than 2 hrs and it was my first time. Personally, im going to be hitting my local pick yard and make a habit of storing spare much needed parts as been recomended by so many others

What condition is it in?

Just did compression check today.

Cylinder 1 - 160

Cylinder 2 - 145

Cylinder 3 - 150

Cylinder 4 - 135

The previous owner resealed it, to what extent I'm not sure but it hasn't put a drop of oil on my driveway in the 5 months it's been there. It's out of an 86 GL. It's got the Hitachi carb which was just rebuilt. As far as mileage I'm told it's around 180k. I've only put a few hundred on since I've had it.

Edited by CaptainDub

• 2 weeks later...

Just did compression check today.

Cylinder 1 - 160

Cylinder 2 - 145

Cylinder 3 - 150

Cylinder 4 - 135

The previous owner resealed it, to what extent I'm not sure but it hasn't put a drop of oil on my driveway in the 5 months it's been there. It's out of an 86 GL. It's got the Hitachi carb which was just rebuilt. As far as mileage I'm told it's around 180k. I've only put a few hundred on since I've had it.

I'm a noob to engines, would a carbed engine plug right into a 93 loyale or would I need a different engine harness? Mine originally has the spfi motor