Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Classic Car Insurance?

I don't think that matters at all - just call them and ask.

insurance is strictly a financial product, not a material physical thing, so to that end it doesn't much matter. they are charging you small premiums at the risk of possibly a large pay out some day. you're paying them to take a risk, they don't really care what the item is, what it's called, or how you define it - that's meaningless. they just need an idea of risk assesment. then they can calculate how much that risk is worth to them. as long as they have some capacity to assign a risk and dollar value in their business model, they should be good to go. a classic car insurer should have plenty of data and experience insuring cars that they'd gladly insure a Subaru.

he replied while i was typing - i could see that happening as well if it's such a small segment that it's not worth their time. they're more than likely run into fraud that way if you could insure any old worthless 1990's taurus.

you could also ask your current insurance company if you could increase your amount and see what options they may have to not "go by the book".

Edited by idosubaru

One other things I forgot.

Same as with my svx.

I insured my 85 brat with them as well. I wanted 5k and they said they wouldn't go higher then 3 as the paint was in tough shape.

So I painted it (rattle cans) and resubmitted for 5k and they approved it.

My Brat has collectors insurance with Farm Bureau. They wanted me to bring to their office and took many pictures inside and out. They contacted me a few days later and said it was approved for up to $12500. 

Guess I need to check on my SVX too!

Edited by bratman2
  • Like 2

NRMA do classic for not dailys and they need to determine if something is special or not, and mods, the more the merrier

Never thought Id say that about them, ditched em thirty years ago until mid last year, Best package ever !

Right now my Sube is fully covered along with my Ford Escape, by The Hartford. But they did tell me they wouldn't know how to value it, which is worrisome.

I am making a note of the classic car insurers mentioned here and will be contacting them. If if they are no cheaper than what I'm paying now, at least they'll have an idea of valuation.