Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 in trike, not cooling like it should

i like 180degree thermostats. looks like a summer (mostly) vehicle, so it should help.

might be as simple as adding an inch of space where the radiator is mounted, or making a scoup to direct air flow.

or oil coolers are cool , and you could stick one right in the air flow, they make a huge difference.

looks like fun

ok guy i got a ? for ya and it might sound dumb but hear me out cause ive seen plenty of people do it ok? 1st off compared to a car ur engine and radiator r backwards, so technically ur fan is pushing against the airflow coming thru the radiator,back into itself, i guarantee u if this is the case and u reverse ur fan wires it will run cooler :brow: hope this helps and if it does let me know. thnx bb

ok guy i got a ? for ya and it might sound dumb but hear me out cause ive seen plenty of people do it ok? 1st off compared to a car ur engine and radiator r backwards, so technically ur fan is pushing against the airflow coming thru the radiator,back into itself, i guarantee u if this is the case and u reverse ur fan wires it will run cooler :brow: hope this helps and if it does let me know. thnx bb

The fan IS running "backwards" also ( it "sucks"air thru the radiator)

So far, I need tobget better airflow and look at distance fan is from rad.

Thanks

Don

That is one spiffy ride!

I'm kinda wondering if you couldn't just louvre the black piece that appears to lay across the "engine bay". In the pic, it looks like and inlaid piece, perhaps with hinges? Might try putting some louvers in that and if you STILL can't keep it cool, the perhaps some sort of airbox rig inside there to help direct air to the radiator, assuming sufficient inside clearance for such a beast.

I wish I could have seen more of a front view of your trike to get a idea of how the airflow will get into the radiator, both with the body on and off. It looks like the front of the radiator may not be receiving near enough airflow to cool it.
Here are a couple pics that MAY help you get an idea of "limited" air flow

http://www.cyberonic.net/~dritchie/srrf.jpg

http://www.cyberonic.net/~dritchie/FIN1.jpg

OR look at the whole page

http://www.cyberonic.net/~dritchie/s_r_pics.html

• 1 year later...

If your EA81 gets hot look at the ffollowig -

Coolant Never use something with an insulating thing in it. Hard Water. I'm talking about calcium.

Radiator Use as big as the factory used or bigger.

Fan Follow what the factory did. When there is no fan surround high temps will result. Never change direction with out testing.

Thermostat Whenever the thermostat is removed a very differant heat load will be put on the system.

Wheel Don't try to reinvent the wheel!

Lee at

www.trikerlee.com

As mentioned, I would look at ways to isolate the air flow to the radiator. The way it looks now, you're drawing air that's been heated by the engine and muffler. You want to get as much cool air as possible. Once the engine starts to overheat, you're just adding more heat to the radiator with the way the air flow is now.

Just my .02....