Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Muffler Request

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PeterD

PeterD

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Renton/Cheney ( EWU )

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:51 PM

Im near completion of my summer project...getting my first subaru up and running. the muffler was shot but the existing pipe is in good shape so i hacked off the muffler right above the rear drive axle and now im in the process of finding a muffler that will fit that spot... im not going to through on a cherry bomb...i want somehting quite yet good sounding. im thinking of a common "turbo" type muffler but im not sure how to mount it.

QUESTION...does anyone have a picture of an aftermarket muffler in that spot for the existing round muffler...i need some ideas on how to go about this. any pic will do, i just wna tto make sure i get something that fits and not have to keep returning stuff. Thanks guys.

#2 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hey Peter

I did exactly what you’re talking about to my ’87 GL wagon. I had a brand new “turbo” type muffler (it came off my dads ’89 Buick, it was louder than the stock one so he replaced it) and no money so I made it fit. I cut the stock one off the tail pipe and with the hanger rods off the stock muffler and a piece of tail pipe from one of my junkers I fashioned it up, works great.

I have to run to Spokane right after work, but I’ll try to snap a few pics of it tomorrow.

Gary

#3 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:26 PM

Peter-
You'll get a kick out of this if you haven't read it yet. I'm thinking of going "turbo" too.

http://ultimatesubar...erformance.html

#4 subaru_styles

subaru_styles

the 1st RX wagon!

• Members
  • 1,696 posts
  • OMGhi2U in da couve

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:30 PM

not in the same spot, but here's a pic

Posted Image

#5 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:49 PM

I put a Cherry Bomb Turbo II on the buggy. Sounds great! Cost $17.00
Glenn,
82 SubaruHummer,
01 Forester

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:47 PM

a 12" thrush glass pack would fit NICE :brow:

#7 PeterD

PeterD

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Renton/Cheney ( EWU )

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

hey thanks for the responces...fastest ive seen on this board yet...at least for my own posts.

I drove around the block without the muffler on and its really not that loud compared to what i would have thought. i guess replacing the Y-pipe with one that has the cat intact would help. i could order a turbo type muffler from a the local parts place but im acualy going to try a cherry bomb...glasspak first. im thinking it will sound alright..a little quiteter than withought the muffer. does anyone run a glasspac and have comments on the sound...is it that bad?

and most of the turbo mufflers i have seen are 2.75in or 2.5in...and the inlet is offset and the outlet is centered...opposit of what that link was showing me.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:15 PM

I run a straight pipe on my lifted wagon. Gives it a nice sound I think. Cheap too. Cost about $3 for the pipe. Really not all that loud, and People ask me all the time what sort of custom exhaust I have..... I tell them the muffler fell off (it did!) :lol:

GD

#9 lagwagon

lagwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

Here is a Raptor turbo muff. $20 2'' in out. This muffler was reversable so I did offset in , center out.

#10 SubaSkeet

SubaSkeet

iDesert Destroyer!

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Las Vegas

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:49 PM

I run a straight pipe on my lifted wagon. Gives it a nice sound I think. Cheap too. Cost about $3 for the pipe. Really not all that loud, and People ask me all the time what sort of custom exhaust I have..... I tell them the muffler fell off (it did!) :lol:

GD

aint that illegal? im thinkin of doing that to my non-lifted wagon by cutting the pipe off at the cat and save it and then welding some sort of brace to it so i can interchange the pipes come emission time (one for the sound, and one to pass the test :grin: )

#11 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

does anyone run a glasspac and have comments on the sound...is it that bad?

I've run cherry bombs and thunderbolt style glass packs. cherry bombs are ghetto compared to the thunderbolts. http://www.racerpart....com/tbolt1.htm This link shows how the core is different. The more rugid construction and that rifled/spiral louver core makes all the difference. Cherrybombs are poorly constructured with thinner metal and the core design took no thought what so ever.

I thought the glass pack I run was a Dynomax Thrush glass pack but it's not. I found a PDF document on Dynomax's website. http://www.dynomax.c...thrushglass.pdf It has the same wussy core as the cherry bombs. The glass pack I have on clearly has the thunderbolt core but they are made in AK, USA while my muffler says "made in canada" on it.

Anyway long story short go with the thunderbolt core if you can find it :) I was not impressed with cherry bombs at all. They dented really easy and sounded kinda cheesy.

#12 PeterD

PeterD

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 562 posts
  • Renton/Cheney ( EWU )

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

after a day of hunting i finaly found what i was after.

suby exhast pic 1

suby exhast pic 2

i havn't clamped it on yet i still need to add one more mount so it fits a little more snug...and no making fun of the welds...it was my very first time welding:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users