Ultimate Subaru Message Board

**The Subaru Tribeca will be followed by Saab's version built on the same platform, and also to built in Lafayette.***

Wait a second. Isnt' Saab a GM product now? Please PLEASE don't tell me Subaru is in cahoots with piece-of crap GM. Pretty soon Subaru's will be just like Saturns- garbage.

Dammit.

Chuck

**The Subaru Tribeca will be followed by Saab's version built on the same platform, and also to built in Lafayette.***

Wait a second. Isnt' Saab a GM product now? Please PLEASE don't tell me Subaru is in cahoots with piece-of crap GM. Pretty soon Subaru's will be just like Saturns- garbage.

Dammit.

Chuck

Apparently you've been hiding under a rock, GM has a good size ownership of Subaru, somewhere around 25%. I'm not sure what your experience has been with GM products, but I have owned them for a long time, and have never had any real problems with them. GM is mostly after the technology from Subaru, I doubt that you will see a Subaru like a Saturn, more likely the other way around.

I have a 2004 Saturn Ion and it's the third Saturn in a row that I've owned. My last two were a 92 and a 99 SL, respectively, and they were pretty good cars. This new one is going to turn into a big piece of crap. It has 21,000 on it and the trans shifts funny and flares, the doors rattle, the front suspension clunks (after the bushing recall was performed, and Saturn denies there's a clunk, or just refuses to fix it). Every piece of trim inside the car is coming loose, the doorseals leak, and the shift lock and ignition switch solenoids click loudly and sometimes stick. Saturn has failed to even TRY to fix any of these problems, opting instead to bullshhh me by saying that it's either "normal and acceptable", or that it should simply "go away eventually". I have to drive 30 miles to Boulder for service (pretty much monthly with this car) because I came unglued on the service writer at Saturn of Denver and threatened to beat his rump roast.

I've heard similar complaints about the Cavaliers, which are basically the same car.

That's why I was dismayed to learn that Subaru is "owned" by GM, although a 20% stake isn't going to change much with the Subaru's, which in my opinion are a far better car. If Subaru technology can be effectively integrated with the GM products, it will be the savior of the American automobile, because Ford isn't gonna do it.

Chuck

I don't think the problem lies in where the car was built, but in the design and engineering of the components, and the overall quality control of the product. I'd still rather have a Toyota than a Ford, and Toyotas are built in Indiana as well. In fact, almost all Japanese cars are built here now; with Subaru finally opening a factory here (when did that happen, anyway?), I think that they all are built here to be sold in North America, and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Pretty soon GM and Ford are going to try to build all their cars in Mexico to cut costs. The downfall will be audible.

Chuck

Yeah, I agree that GM is more interested in stealing from Subaru..well, since they own 20% I guess that would be borrow. Subaru is kind of a category in itself, and I think GM sees that.

I have grown up always driving/owning at least one Chevrolet. My first car at 16 was a Datsun 210 while I was fixing up the '70 Monte Carlo my parents had bought new in '69. (That was in 1990.) In college I drove an El Camino, which was a great car. ('81 model, V-6, emmissions stripped and built up with a 4 barrel Holley w/ dual exhaust.) I actually took my driver's test in my dad's 80something Subaru wagon. My most recent Chevy was a '91 Caprice Classic, which was a solid car and great until it neared the 200,000 mile mark--it was leaking oil pretty well by then. In my opinion, the demise of the Caprice Classic marked the death of "real" cars for GM. I hate new cars--they all feel cheap and chitzy--even the foreign ones, unless you go into the mid$30K and beyond. Mechanically, they may be sound, but Toyata has never impressed me. I owned a Honda and it was okay, but nothing special.

I LOVE my Subaru--it is a 95 Legacy wagon and is VERY solid. Over 150,000 miles on it. I'm impressed by it. Runs circles as far as quality around any Toyota or Honda I have been in. I going to test drive a new Baja next week, so I'm curious how solid the Subie feels. I had vowed never to buy a brand new car because what you get isn't worth the $$$ you plunk down and that there were no new cars I really liked. The Baja is the only new car I have drooled over. (I did drool over the original Nomad Chevy concept until they ruined it by making it a compact car wannabe.)

My 95 Legacy was built in Indiana. I'm not for sure when they opened that plant, though. I'll have to say I had been guilty of saying to myself in the past that Chevrolet should just swallow their pride and buy their drivetrains from Subaru...

I don't think we'll ever see "real" cars hit the showroom floor again...

I'm with jt95, I bought my last new car a year ago. I made a $17,000 mistake. In a year, that crappy, chintzy Saturn has depreciated by almost HALF of what I paid for it, and with its questionable build quality I'm gonna be lucky to reach the term of my loan before it dies (I drive ALOT; 25,000 miles this year on the Saturn).

Lesson learned. I'll let some other poor shlub eat the depreciation. Oh, and I'll probably never buy another American car.

As for Toyotas, I'm driving a 92 Camry with 158,000 on it (wifey drives the Saturn), and it leaks, no kidding, 4 quarts of oil a WEEK out of the front crank seal, because when my wife replaced the engine after she siezed up the thing (before we met, thank you very much) the disreputable shop put in a wrecker engine and told her it was rebuilt. Anyhow, it still runs pretty good as long as I keep oil in it. I'd buy another Toyota if I could afford a newer 4-runner.

That car will hopefully be replaced by month's end with a Subaru...

Chuck

• 1 month later...

ok this is how i understand it... GM owns 20% of fuji heavy industries... and fuji owns subaru... BUT GM has no say in what subaru does with their cars...

But i also think the joint projects with saab suck balls... the new saab 9X blah blah blah is just an impreza with GM crap in it...i believe it was just a way for GM to compete with subaru...