Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mudrat's strut mount relocation?

Texas S

Spoke to John yesterday on the phone, great guy, about lifting my Baja. Sounds like dropping the strut mounts to get some lift is my best option at the moment.

Anyone here have experience with this?

John mentioned increased wear & tear on the CV boots, but I'm wondering about handling etc. Also, it's a brand new ride so I don't want to get into warranty issued if I have driveline problems.

Any insights appreciated! :cool:

Mudrat is a pioneer and I think you guys are breaking new ground here. There are what... 2 kits you can buy? Have yet to see any custom fabricated lifts for the Baja. If you had John make you one you'd prolly have one of the first (if not THE first?) custom fab Baja lift kit.

Rage it !_!

It matters allot in terms of intent and cause of failure. The majority of dealerships do not have the owner's best interest at heart. If they can deny a low profit warranty claim on a failed airconditioner because of an aftermarket suspension and turn it into a high profit high markup out of pocket repair then they usually will. They are out to get you so removing the excuses so that they will not be able to is more than justified. Beyond that, if you blow your engine because you ran an a manual boost controler with no fuel management and boost spikes/creap and want the company to pay, then your in the wrong. If you bust the shaft or tranny running 30x12 swampers on a Baja it is on you, but if your headgasket or ECU fails then do what you must.

Mendacity, this thread reeks of mendacity.
For people like me who don't have such a broad vocabulary. I had to look this one up on http://www.dict.org

2 definitions found for MendacityFrom Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) : Mendacity \Men*dac"i*ty\, n.; pl. Mendacities. [L.

mendacitas.]

1. The quality or state of being mendacious; a habit of

lying. --Macaulay.

2. A falsehood; a lie. --Sir T. Browne.

Syn: Lying; deceit; untruth; falsehood.

From WordNet ® 2.0 : mendacity

n : the tendency to be untruthful [ant: veracity]

Your safest bet is to ride out the warrenty, then start tinkering. Those that get impatient, usually end up having SOA bite them in the rump roast.

Now, on the lift. Are you thinking of just putting blocks above the struts? But not anywhere else on the drivetrain? IF that is the case, increased cv wear will happen, the add the increased wear from using the vehicle and larger tires in places it wasn't meant to be.

If you are planning to do a whole body lift there shouldn't be any extra wear on the cv's. Of course, running larger tires and using the vehicle in a manner other than which it was designed does add increased wear to the cv axles.

Personally, I don't think you'd have a problem with the cv's in a full body lift situation. I think they are stout enough to take some medium offroading every 3rd saturday.

I think you will have a problem if you just lift the struts.

For people like me who don't have such a broad vocabulary. I had to look this one up on http://www.dict.org

2 definitions found for MendacityFrom Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) : Mendacity \Men*dac"i*ty\, n.; pl. Mendacities. [L.

mendacitas.]

1. The quality or state of being mendacious; a habit of

lying. --Macaulay.

2. A falsehood; a lie. --Sir T. Browne.

Syn: Lying; deceit; untruth; falsehood.

From WordNet ® 2.0 : mendacity

n : the tendency to be untruthful [ant: veracity]

Yup, that's what I was getting at. If you want to modify your rig, it'll void the warranty. If you then take the mods off and take the car back in and claim that things went wrong and should be covered by a warranty, you are engaging in untruthful, unethical, and illegal activities. Mendacity.

Texas......

As I said over the phone......IF......and I stress the IF ,we go over the 1 1/2" Mod , then there will be extra wear and tear on the cv's.......As long as we dont go past the 1 1/2" mark, you'll get normal life out of them............the Forester is Running just fine on his Originals, as well as the Outback Sport .....

Not sure if you got confused about the different things we chatted about or not....???

Let me know,

For the others....No "Mendancy" intended, But you would have to look hard, and Measure the strut to see something was odd about them..... :confused:

No blocks involved in this Lift........ :D

Later, John

John, as the installer, there is no blame pointed toward you, andas one who modifys his rig, there is no deceit. The mendacity occurs when something is done that changes the original warranty and then is removed and takne in as if there were never any mods done. This is like using a fillet knife for a pryar and then complaining to the sales person that it broke when you were filleting a fish. Car companies don't have to offer warranties - it's part of a sales promotion. If you buy a vehicle from a private individual, there is no warranty, and only a limited warranty at best when you buy a used car from a dealer. All I'm saying is if you put mods on a car, be proud of them and if your vehicle messes up, be honest enough to understand you voided the warranty rather than being sleazy and taking them off and trying to pass it off as manufacturer fault. Take some personal responsibility for your actions.