Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LSD swap question

subieman

Okay this is a stupid question. But I dunno! With a LSD swap into a 84 wagon would I be able to run in 4wd on dry surfaces without the rear end binding up? Something like awd?

No. The front and rear outputs are still locked, no give in the tranny so it will still bind up.

edit: re-read post, and the rear end wont bind up like a welded diff would, but it would still bind in the front/rear transfer of power. W/ out a front axle it would be a two tire fryer :brow:.

Ok I am going to attempt my first LSD conversion. I'm going from 3.7 to 3.9. Ok I read the the tech article but I don't know the terminology good enough. On the picture below can someone show me what needs to be swapped out. Where is the Ring gear? And which case will I end up using? The original 3.9 housing or the 3.7 LSD housing? Oh and what holes might be to small or to large? Just a little confused.

17diff-med.jpg

Let me know when you're gonna do it I want to come over and see/help. I also have one of my own to do.:brow: Hey and I was thinkin, if you want to use my rear diff for the example, and then give me the you pull out of the wagon when youre fone, that would be all right.

how much would it cost me to convert to LSD?

also is having a LSD be close to having lockers? (can't you tell i'm new to this):-p

Close but no cigar. If you lift a wheel you are still screwed with an LSD; the one in the air is gonna spin. However it's still a nice upgrade; definatly the next level in traction control if you have open rear diff.

Cost is anywhere from $45-$70 at your local pick n pull yard. The price just depends on who's behind the counter that day. Jibs pulled two from two different yards and one charged him 45 and the other 70.

I'm gonna attempt the ratio swap soon and I'll take some pic's and let you guys know if it needs grinding. Which I'm pretty sure it does.

So where in the heck do you get this e10torx socket? I bought one from Napa, but it doesn't fit inside the stub axle. It seems like the only way it would work is if the socket is on 1/4" drive, and nobody in town sells them. I went by Sears, Harbor Freight, Kragen, The dealership, and Napa today, and nobody had them. Where would I get this mystery socket? Thanks.

So where in the heck do you get this e10torx socket? I bought one from Napa, but it doesn't fit inside the stub axle. It seems like the only way it would work is if the socket is on 1/4" drive, and nobody in town sells them. I went by Sears, Harbor Freight, Kragen, The dealership, and Napa today, and nobody had them. Where would I get this mystery socket? Thanks.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=14957&group_ID=2358&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

and Qman posted on another thread about using this with one of the impact drivers that you hit with a hammer to break them loose.

the bolt heads like to twist off, so be careful....