Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How do I remove rear diff drain plugs?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Forester_Ranger

Forester_Ranger

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Springfield, Oregon

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

My rear diff has 2 plugs. the top I assume is for checking and topping off. and the bottom one is to drain. But how do I remove the plugs? Is there a special tool to remove the plugs? It is like an allen nut but is square with only 4 sides.

#2 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

Hi,

In the past, I have used what is called "key stock", which can be found at most hardware stores. These are small pieces of square hardened steel bar stock and come in a few standard sizes. Hopefully, one will fit. Then, simply apply an open-end wrench and turn.

I know of others (on non-Subaru vehicles) where the square drive of a ratchet will do the trick. You may have to improvise by using shims if the fit is not tight enough.

Whatever you do, please open the filler plug first, not the drain plug.

Regards,
Adnan

#3 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:05 PM

I remove mine with a 1/2 in. drive breaker bar. The fit is not as tight as it should be but I get it out. That is a good suggestion from Adnan about removing fill plug before drain plug.

#4 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:32 PM

any garage will just use a breaker bar with a 1/2" drive... i think thats what the fsm says too.

you WILL need a breaker bar, ive done pull ups on breaker bars trying to get the plug out.

#5 Forester_Ranger

Forester_Ranger

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Springfield, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:14 PM

ok i'll try 1/2" drive, thanks.

#6 KStretch55

KStretch55

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 01 September 2005 - 04:52 PM

1/2" breaker is the standard tool, as far as I know. Here's a tip, too. There's really no need for them to be "gorilla" tight. Just snug. Some teflon tape on the threads aids removal the next time and helps reduce the dribble that results from capillary action of the oil seeping through the threads, too.

#7 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

1/2 is what I used.

#8 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:59 PM

1/2 inch drive breaker bar, of course, but also remember to jack up the car as high as you can. That way, You can get enough leverage to break the cap loose. It takes a lot of force. Jack stands work, but a real lift would be ideal.

I wish I had a lift and a big garage. It would make life so much easier...

Matt

#9 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:10 PM

don't be discouraged if it is really hard to break it loose, with a steel plug and an aluminum cover, they seem to like to corrode together.

#10 MiniTransAm

MiniTransAm

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Lancaster

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

Soak the plugs down with pb blaster or something similar before trying to break em loose. Makes it much easier.

#11 kevinsUBARU

kevinsUBARU

hi

• Members
  • 2,964 posts
  • Ulster County

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

beer

....and a 1/2" drive

#12 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,268 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:42 PM

during the winter time, when I do a lot of wheeling out in the mud and ponds, I have to change my diff fluid a couple times a month, so it's a standard procedure for me:
1/2" impact.. BRAAP, and it's out. Going in, finger tight plus one turn.

#13 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:05 PM

Remember not to drink too much beer when working on your sweet-rump roast Subaru.

You might make a mistake and forget to put the drain plug back in before you start to refill it, or you might drop the car on your chest... OUCH!!

I love beer, and I love working on cars and motorcycles, but I try not to do too much at the same time.

If I am going to drink a little.... I will be ok as a mechanic.

If I am going to drink a lot... Well, let's just put those tools away before someone gets hurt.

Matt

Hee Hee!

P.S. I already had 4 beers, so I will not work on the subaru, but I am going outside to work on the 1982 Suzuki GS450.

#14 Forester_Ranger

Forester_Ranger

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Springfield, Oregon

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:28 PM

Got the diff Oil changed. No probem getting fill and drain plugs out with a 1/2 drive. But I noticed I had quite a bit of grey sludge on the magnet. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

#15 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

Got the diff Oil changed. No probem getting fill and drain plugs out with a 1/2 drive. But I noticed I had quite a bit of grey sludge on the magnet. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

thats normal, ive never seen a diff with out the shavings/ mush.

#16 BigMattyD

BigMattyD

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Syracuse, NY

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

I get a fair amount of metal particles on the magnet when i remove it.

I think it is ok.

Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users