Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Project Cheap:Build Lifted 86' GL Sedan Advice + Build

DrKrazy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet!!

what's that light I see on the front?? looks like you've got one fog light under the license plate...

the car had 2 at some point, but when I bought it only 1 and the smashed bumper. Since I haven't changed out the bumper I just moved it over to center it. I know stupid but doesn't matter won't be on there long.

Hey DrK....

Since you ditched out on the meet, we gotta go get some pice of my wag and your sedan togather.... I'm intrested in taking a look on how well your lift went and the pug/tire combo you have Vs my AA stuff and wally land tires. Also seems like a good photo op. ...and we should go find some place to thrash them:brow: Richo can come too.

Hey DrK....

Since you ditched out on the meet, we gotta go get some pice of my wag and your sedan togather.... I'm intrested in taking a look on how well your lift went and the pug/tire combo you have Vs my AA stuff and wally land tires. Also seems like a good photo op. ...and we should go find some place to thrash them:brow: Richo can come too.

It wouldn't of come to the meet anyways, it's in pretty bad shape atm. But yes I REALLY want to compare the two cars, more so now that you know you have your front strut mounts on correctly, so I can see if mine are. It's not going far until I do something about the engine/clutch/few other misc things. I took it for another drive last night, played around a bit in ditches/etc. Was doing great...then I heard a big snap..not sure what it was until I got home. Also oil pressure dropped to near zero and started ticking like living hell, gotta at least reseal the oil pump here. The snap turned out to be one of the tranny mount bolts stripping itself out @!##$$!!!!! Bolt is still in there, just spinning in place, what a pain..rest are still tight and holding great. So another problem I'm going to have to deal with. Out of cash for it and off vacation so need to come up with some more cash and time then it will be ready for some wheeling. Your welcome to come by anytime and check it out though.

If I had an engine hoist at my house I would already have that engine pulled and half taken apart. Have a halfway decent clutch from my RX's old engine, and plenty of gaskets everywhere. Bought two of alot of things on my last seal order. Better just to do it with all new parts and right the first time though.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from the last week or so with not much spare time:

Oil pump resealed-TOD Gone!!! Oil pressure still seems to be a tad low at idle. Also found that the timing belts/tensioners had just been done before it got parked at the shop I bought it from (or they did them). Was two teeth off on the drivers side belt..hmm no wonder it really had no power, fixed that while I was in there of course.

Stripped bolt on lift-still there haven't touched it, don't have a clue yet what I'm going to do about it.

Stripped my parts car of all the EFI and harness, etc. Took it all out and spent alot of time with FSM's and the Conversion Manual (HUGE HELP!) and think I have the whole system ready to go on. Should be fairly quick, made my harness really nice and tighty. Already have the whole exhaust swapped over, and ordered all my gaskets, new sensors, etc for the FI. Hope to tackle the swap this weekend.

It also got a new/used (out of my DL) stereo to replace the stock pos that barely worked. A full CB setup on it's way for it, along with a 100 amp GM alt. Still trying to find a decent place for the 2nd battery, then will get that mounted in. Need a damn welder of my own.

Should be good to go soon...just gotta do a clutch and swap some CV's after all that.... :-\

and still waiting for my custom plates...

thats pretty good travel with the sway bar still connected;)

Haha you know with everything else going on with the car I didn't think to remove it until you said something...goes to show I still don't have a clue about lifted Roo's. :-\

now on my list of things to do...

DrK,

You mentioned "FSM" and "conversion manual" in post 58 regarding your fuel injection swap. Are these available online or ? I'm interested in doing a similar conversion. Thanks

There is a FSM (Factory Service Manual) online here:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

I actually own a set. The EFI conversion manual was written by Snowman (and was the biggest help so far), and I think it's in alot of places. But I threw it up on the rockymountainroos.net site for you to download here:

http://www.rockymountainroos.net/eficonversion.pdf

Your stripped bolt. To fix it easily or the easiest way we have repaired them is by pulling the carpet out and coming at them from the top side. You will have find the location of course and then drill a small hole to make sure you are over the bolt. Once you have located it cut out a small area of sheet metal that you can bend back and be able to put a mig or a tig in to weld the bolt back into place. Make sure to tighten the bolt before you reassemble everything and then put everything back into its respective place.

Hope the information helps.

JM

AA

Not sure what happened to the posts yesterday..so will repost this all for everyone to see.

The EFI conversion is almost totally done, car is running and driving just fine now. Just need to button up some last wires and try to get rid of the code 45 for the kick-down (which doesn't exist anymore since it's on a manual tranny), and replace the EGR pipe I mangaled and just have blocked off now.

Runs a hell alot better, has a bit more power, and is so much smoother through the RPM range. So here's a few pics of my weekend install and fun:

The EGR pipe I need to replace since I mangaled it off my donor car:

egr.jpg

My creative solution to the air pipes running to the exhaust. I cut them off, filled them full of my favorite sealant "The Right Stuff" and pounded them flat with a sledge. Hey it works :headbang: :

airpipe.jpg

The computer all mounted up in place, most of all the harness is all neatly tucked up in there. Remaining wires are for the check engine light, fan switch, wires for my CB, and a ton of wires having to deal with the A/T that was in the donor car. Want to see if I can get rid of that code 45 somehow before totally buttoning it up.:

ecu.jpg

What the engine looked like after Friday's intial install:

efi1.jpg

What the engine looks like now after getting it all tuned in and running, I think it looks good:

efi2.jpg

and finally one more picture of Project Cheap after it's new fuel system, and just because I love the way it looks:

efidone.jpg

GOODBYE YOU STINKING CARB!

Just gotta pull the engine do a clutch, reseal on cam housing's/valve covers, a cv axle, brakes...etc etc..but getting way closer to actually getting this thing on the trails.

EGR Pipe fixed, all wiring buttoned up and done..dashboard completely back together...well almost didn't quite finish neighbor came out and complained about me running the car for so long and it was loud in their house..whatever. So I turned it off and quit for the day since I was using the heat of the car to keep me warm while I worked on it. Same neighbor that is now jaming there stereo loud enough so I can clearly hear the Def Leppard he is playing. But I did also take it out and played a bit in a dirt/gravel lot and a hill at the back of it. Still rubbing.. :mad: but only at full stuff of the front wheels while turned it seems..might just crank my front struts up some in the front. Also think I used up the last of the clutch screwing around so got to get one on order here, but no money after having to fix the wife's legacy yesterday. Well here is the first pictures of "Project Cheap" not in a driveway!!! Sorry no action shots was only me testing the car out.

pc2.jpg

pc1.jpg

P.S. No license plates, no other cars..feel free to use either of those pics Shadyirishman.

looks better every day!!

don't sweat the rubbing, mine rubs alot, even when turning on flat ground, I can't imagine what's going on when I flex it out on the trails, but it isn't damaging my tires, and isn't affecting the performance, so I don't worry about it.

I wouldn't recommend adjusting the struts up...that was definately the cause of my CV problems!

That thing looks awesome! and it seems like your staying on budget!

can't wait to see some action shots... your gonna have loads of fun...

singletrack

Did you catch it on fire? :lol: I'm noticing your engine bay is all white in one the pics above, like you sprayed it with a fire extinguisher.

I caught my 85 on fire once...

i think thats primer... white primer...

and hey, did you fix that tranny mount bolt?

Indeed that was just white primer before the engine actually got painted. Haven't fixed the tranny mount bolt yet, but I don't have a welder..so that will have to wait till one of my friends has time to do it. I did take an air gun to it and it tightened up..must've just got the bolt spinning fast enough for the nut to grab tight for now. So it's good for at least now. I know I know..will get some actual action pictures soon hopefully. Only thing keeping me from taking it off-road for a real test right now is the clutch, one CV (which I have, just haven't swapped it) and a spare tire. Can deal with brakes as they are for now. Would already have a few good pictures but there is no place really close for me to take the car that I know of. And clutch won't hold out for a decent drive.

Since Snowman/Zefy reminded me I thought I would post up here the total spent so far. Alittle high since I need to do some more stuff..but hopefully rest will be cheap or near free since it's all the custom fab bumpers and skid plates from my friend. Sure I will end spending another grand before I know it though. Might have to rename it.

$195- Purchase Price + Misc parts to make it run originally, grille, etc.

$289 -Lift Kit Shipped

$171-15" Pugs Shipped in

$120- Set of 235/75 Bronco M/T Tires

$27- On a bad CB Radio (at least I got a good antenna)

$140- In gaskets, misc hardware, tune up kit, paint etc

$200- For the 88' DL Parts Car that I used for my EFI swap and other stuff.

$25- Registration/Plates

$93- Clutch Set on it's way

$44- Good set of 6" Off-Road lights on their way

$36- Machined flywheel Brother's shop is getting for me

Total so far= $1340

Not sure if I can really count the parts car though, since I have and will get a ton of parts off it, so basically more than pays for itself compared to JY prices for everything I'm taking.

Cleaned up the car today (Mainly so I could see out all of the windows). Rigged the original skid plate back on for at least some protection, shorted out the oil sending unit or gauge in the process :banghead: likes to read in the negative oil pressure now! And since my new clutch has arrived, I decided wtf and went to take PC out for alittle beating on the old clutch. Hit the same place right by my house with a few hills with tall grass hiding big rocks and stumps next to a factory. Already did my first two things of damage, broke the glass in one of my fog lights, bent the other one...luckily just a pair of cheap plastic ones I had sitting around. Choose to steep of a first shot at climbing the hill..going to take awhile to learn this car. You guys were all right though, as soon as I threw it into 4 low I had plenty of power. Actually took some action shots this time, need to drag my wife to pics when we actually go wheeling I don't want to get out the car to do it. Pics don't do the hill justice, and yes I did make it over after backing down and going at it again.

Rigged skid plate using pieces of pipe and old intake manifold bolts! Gotta get something real soon:

skid.jpg

Front View of the hill climb (notice the screwed up outside fog lights from trying to tackle the hill at a different point)

action1.jpg

Side View and where I had to jump out the drivers door:

action2.jpg

Blinding sun view, but you see in the background where's it way steep..yea that's what I tried first:

action3.jpg

Can't wait to get the clutch done, so I can take it someplace up in the mountains and start getting some real pics. Though I did have fun today.